Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times

Advertisements

Ive been with my girl for 10 months, recently moved in together, and for the most part we have a close and loving relationship. Shes 32 and Im 37. She is attractive, intelligent, driven and has a great sense of humor. A week doesnt go by without her telling me how much she loves me, how happy she is and how shes never felt so strongly about anyone else before. We have too many things in common to count and are planning a future together.

At the same time, no matter what I do, i seem to have a hard time getting her to fully trust me, although I suspect it has little to do with me or my actions. She seems to have a need to question my loyalty on regular basis, usually once or twice a week and almost always based on something extremely trivial or out of my control.

Example, last night she asked me why i accepted a friend request on FB some months ago from someone I didnt know. I couldnt remember the actual person, or even if it was a guy or a woman, but explained to her that I dont really take FB seriously and accept requests without thinking twice about it. I suppose that explanation wasnt good enough, because she feels that FB should be reserved for close RL friends only.

Another example. I used to have a crush on one of my lil sisters friends, and we used to flirt every once in awhile, before i met my girl. She looks a bit like Mila Kunis, whom I liked on my FB page some time ago, so her pics pop up occasionaly on my feed. My GF gave me a hard time about that, and told me that i follow Mila because she reminds me of my lil sis friend, which is completly untrue.

I find this type of nonsense so juvenile and draining. For all I care i could get rid of my FB page, because I really dont care, but somehow i doubt that would fix anything. Many times her accusations have nothing to do with FB but are just as petty. I have never cheated on a GF, and have been 100% loyal and transparent with her, yet continue being accused of made up stuff.

An ex GF texted me some time ago and wanted to meet up late at night, which i replied to that im with my gf and not interested and immediately told my GF about the text and my reply, caught hell for that too. i admit that first 2 or 3 months of our relationship were a lil rocky because of me dating several girls before meeting my GF, having to break all those ties off as well as adjust from being a long time bachelor to being in a LTR, but i have never hidden or been dishonest about any of that. Never came close to wanting another woman while with my girl, because i take my commitments seriously.

Sorry, this is little long winded, but its not often i ask for relationship advice on here. Is there anything I could do differently to provide reassurance my GF is seeking? Is proving my loyalty and commitment with my actions not enough? What do you guys think is causing these issues and how would you proceed if you were in my shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Someone needs THERAPY.

This sounds deep routed and probably has nothing to do with you.

I wouldn't date someone like this, its exhausting.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Has she been cheated on or lied to in the past?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
When you say you've had a hard time getting her to fully trust you, has this been from the very beginning?

Deleting your FB page or certain people from it isn't going to resolve the situation. I suspect even if you did that, she'd find something else. She's holding your past against you with no regard for the fact that you've been honest and loyal throughout with her. I couldn't be in a relationship with someone who I didn't fully trust or who didn't trust me, and if I've done nothing wrong, I shouldn't have to "prove" anything.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Ive been with my girl for 10 months, recently moved in together, and for the most part we have a close and loving relationship. Shes 32 and Im 37. She is attractive, intelligent, driven and has a great sense of humor. A week doesnt go by without her telling me how much she loves me, how happy she is and how shes never felt so strongly about anyone else before. We have too many things in common to count and are planning a future together.

At the same time, no matter what I do, i seem to have a hard time getting her to fully trust me, although I suspect it has little to do with me or my actions. She seems to have a need to question my loyalty on regular basis, usually once or twice a week and almost always based on something extremely trivial or out of my control.

Example, last night she asked me why i accepted a friend request on FB some months ago from someone I didnt know. I couldnt remember the actual person, or even if it was a guy or a woman, but explained to her that I dont really take FB seriously and accept requests without thinking twice about it. I suppose that explanation wasnt good enough, because she feels that FB should be reserved for close RL friends only.

Another example. I used to have a crush on one of my lil sisters friends, and we used to flirt every once in awhile, before i met my girl. She looks a bit like Mila Kunis, whom I liked on my FB page some time ago, so her pics pop up occasionaly on my feed. My GF gave me a hard time about that, and told me that i follow Mila because she reminds me of my lil sis friend, which is completly untrue.

I find this type of nonsense so juvenile and draining. For all I care i could get rid of my FB page, because I really dont care, but somehow i doubt that would fix anything. Many times her accusations have nothing to do with FB but are just as petty. I have never cheated on a GF, and have been 100% loyal and transparent with her, yet continue being accused of made up stuff.

An ex GF texted me some time ago and wanted to meet up late at night, which i replied to that im with my gf and not interested and immediately told my GF about the text and my reply, caught hell for that too. i admit that first 2 or 3 months of our relationship were a lil rocky because of me dating several girls before meeting my GF, having to break all those ties off as well as adjust from being a long time bachelor to being in a LTR, but i have never hidden or been dishonest about any of that. Never came close to wanting another woman while with my girl, because i take my commitments seriously.

Sorry, this is little long winded, but its not often i ask for relationship advice on here. Is there anything I could do differently to provide reassurance my GF is seeking? Is proving my loyalty and commitment with my actions not enough? What do you guys think is causing these issues and how would you proceed if you were in my shoes?

I'm already exhausted and frustrated with what little you wrote about her insecurities. First 10 months is NOT long enough knowing someone to move in together. Next, she needs serious professional therapy for her extreme jealously and controlling ways. After that what the hades is she doing logging on to your facebook page? There are things that should remain private since you are still individuals even though you are a couple. It is not required nor advised to not keep some things separate.

As far as the text you received from an ex girlfriend there was no reason to tell the current girlfriend. You texted back not interested because you have a girlfriend, end of story. She should not be looking through your phone, email, facebook, computer history or wallet either. She is too high emotional maintenance in my opinion.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Has she been cheated on or lied to in the past?
She has not cheated or been cheated on in the past. Im sure she's been lied to, but who hasnt. I have been completely honest and transparent with her from day1.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
She sounds like she has trust issues. She needs to let things go. If you actually do stray from her...then she needs to move on.

For you....hmmm I know its hard to turn off the flirting...but try. Make it known to friends, family, and the public that She is your girl friend. That YOU love her. And will not go back to an ex or a crush. Sometimes its actions that speak louder. Words get messed up.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
When you say you've had a hard time getting her to fully trust you, has this been from the very beginning?

Deleting your FB page or certain people from it isn't going to resolve the situation. I suspect even if you did that, she'd find something else. She's holding your past against you with no regard for the fact that you've been honest and loyal throughout with her. I couldn't be in a relationship with someone who I didn't fully trust or who didn't trust me, and if I've done nothing wrong, I shouldn't have to "prove" anything.
Yes, its been this way from the very beginning, but i think intensified equaly with our relationship becoming more and more serious. Its really draining, but i wouldnt want to walk away from otherwise a great thing. The odd thing is, that she says she knows ive been loyal to her throughout...

Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Talk to her directly, kindly, sincerely and openly. But nip it in the bud now. This kind of insecurity is completely toxic. If she needs to question your every move, then she will place blame for her every jealous feeling on you, which means she will never gain control of her jealousy herself.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Talk to her directly, kindly, sincerely and openly. But nip it in the bud now. This kind of insecurity is completely toxic. If she needs to question your every move, then she will place blame for her every jealous feeling on you, which means she will never gain control of her jealousy herself.
I agree with this. Years ago I had a relationship that sounded eerily similar to this, and grew more toxic with every passing week. OP you should sit down and calmly discuss the issue at hand. If she cannot or will not stay calm and rational, be warned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships