Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,794 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on this? It's possible that one person has to decide to live in the others country. Would you do this if you found someone special?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 02:52 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagerrager View Post
What are your thoughts on this? It's possible that one person has to decide to live in the others country. Would you do this if you found someone special?
I did it for 5 years with the man I eventually married. Of course, we met in his country, and were together as a couple for a year before I went back to mine. Over the next 5 years, while we were finishing college and getting our careers started, we visited back and forth and wrote a lot of letters.

He then came and stayed with me for a year, at the end of that year we married and moved back to his country.

So while it was long distance most of the time, we still managed to spend a lot of time together under the circumstances. It requires the ability to save money, have your own space to live (not with parents) and have a flexible lifestyle, such as being self-employed.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:56 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,167,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I did it for 5 years with the man I eventually married. Of course, we met in his country, and were together as a couple for a year before I went back to mine. Over the next 5 years, while we were finishing college and getting our careers started, we visited back and forth and wrote a lot of letters.

He then came and stayed with me for a year, at the end of that year we married and moved back to his country.

So while it was long distance most of the time, we still managed to spend a lot of time together under the circumstances. It requires the ability to save money, have your own space to live (not with parents) and have a flexible lifestyle, such as being self-employed.
Congrats on your success

I have a good friend who met her husband backpacking in Asia (she was from the UK, he was from the US) and they dated for about a year before getting married and are still happy about their decision several years later. It can definitely work, as long as you have an end plan in sight. She wanted to eventually move to the US, so it worked out great for them.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:58 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagerrager View Post
Nope.

From personal experience the phone, Internet, texting will not help you get to know them.

Move on.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:01 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Congrats on your success

I have a good friend who met her husband backpacking in Asia (she was from the UK, he was from the US) and they dated for about a year before getting married and are still happy about their decision several years later. It can definitely work, as long as you have an end plan in sight. She wanted to eventually move to the US, so it worked out great for them.
Haha, well we lasted 20 years at least.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Thank you! I think it can work if you both make the effort to want it to work.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Congrats on your success

Thank you

Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
One of you will have to make the move. I met my girl in Denmark where i was already a resident, somewhat after i had adjusted to the culture, and stayed. There are lots of expat groups on Facebook, with female members that have moved to be with their partners. Why not look for one of these? Google and/or search on FB for "American Expats in [Country]" or Americans in [Country]."

Good luck.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
It might work if both have enough money to visit each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships