Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:26 PM

663 posts, read 778,468 times

Advertisements

Of all the guys that have hit on you or asked you out, what percentage do you turn down? (e.g. turning down a date or even inserting boyfriend into the conversation to let him know to stop flirting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 02:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
I haven't turned down setup dates. After the date I turned them down if they show many red flags. To turn the immaturity off. Still party like a college student in their 30's. Cheap. Dislike children. Brag too much. Talk down to you .
Percentage?
50/50-they turn me down too.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,713,543 times
If you are broke or semi broke, live with parents, not that confident, your car isn't all that great, you're too short, too fat or thin, too serious, or too big of an ego you will get turned down.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Of all the guys that have hit on you or asked you out, what percentage do you turn down? (e.g. turning down a date or even inserting boyfriend into the conversation to let him know to stop flirting)
As a married woman - 100% OF THEM

Old 07-11-2013, 02:47 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
I can't remember the last time a guy asked me out... the last guy I was seeing, I was set up with, and it took a few dates & conversations for me to decide we were not a good fit.

Prior to that, I have not dated anyone since my ex, and we broke up 2 years ago. No one has asked me out in that time period. If I think back to my early to mid 20s, I'd say I'd turn down maybe 1/4 of men at most who showed interest in me. Unless I have a major immediate objection, I was open to going on a date & seeing what happened. Often, things just never went past a first date, so that's where the weeding out tended to take place (them weeding ME out also).

I'll have men give me compliments in public semi-often, but am rarely asked for my number or given any indicator of them wanting to date me. It will be like, "You have a beautiful face!" and then they keep walking before I have a chance to even mentally process it.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
I don't get asked out...so I guess that would be 0%?

Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I can't remember the last time a guy asked me out... the last guy I was seeing, I was set up with, and it took a few dates & conversations for me to decide we were not a good fit.

Prior to that, I have not dated anyone since my ex, and we broke up 2 years ago. No one has asked me out in that time period. If I think back to my early to mid 20s, I'd say I'd turn down maybe 1/4 of men at most who showed interest in me. Unless I have a major immediate objection, I was open to going on a date & seeing what happened. Often, things just never went past a first date, so that's where the weeding out tended to take place (them weeding ME out also).

I'll have men give me compliments in public semi-often, but am rarely asked for my number or given any indicator of them wanting to date me. It will be like, "You have a beautiful face!" and then they keep walking before I have a chance to even mentally process it.

I'm guessing that when guys do the bolded, they are hoping you will stop and talk?
It's not a move I do, but I have seen before. Part of it is lighthearted fun, but the other part is they hope you stop and chat. But I guess it depends on the situation and logistics. Standing in line? They hope you chat. Literally walking past each other on the street? Although awkward, I guess they hope you stop... Driving in a car? Kind of hard to have a conversation yelling from car to car or something like that.

An ex of mine one time was walking to her apartment on the sidewalk. Turns out a class mate of hers was driving on the street. He hollared (dont remember what he said) at her from the street, and she walked up to the car and chatted with the guy in the middle of the street. (mission accomplished)

I think anytime a guy throws out a compliment or even "hello", he is hoping the other person (however unlikely) will stop and have a conversation. I think the more urban a person is, the more common this is.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:13 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post

Almost all of them. So, maybe, 90 percent.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
As a married woman - 100% OF THEM
Me, too!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
[/b]

I'm guessing that when guys do the bolded, they are hoping you will stop and talk?
It's not a move I do, but I have seen before. Part of it is lighthearted fun, but the other part is they hope you stop and chat. But I guess it depends on the situation and logistics. Standing in line? They hope you chat. Literally walking past each other on the street? Although awkward, I guess they hope you stop... Driving in a car? Kind of hard to have a conversation yelling from car to car or something like that.

An ex of mine one time was walking to her apartment on the sidewalk. Turns out a class mate of hers was driving on the street. He hollared (dont remember what he said) at her from the street, and she walked up to the car and chatted with the guy in the middle of the street. (mission accomplished)

I think anytime a guy throws out a compliment or even "hello", he is hoping the other person (however unlikely) will stop and have a conversation. I think the more urban a person is, the more common this is.
Generally like the bolded. It's literally in passing, not in a setting where we're standing/sitting. If I have the time to process it, then I'll say thank you & smile as they go by, but they've generally moved on by then. Sometimes I keep moving because I didn't really see this as any reason to stop & chat (about what?). It's not like they pause for a response or try to continue talking after I say "thanks". I'm not going to literally go running after someone... and I wouldn't expect them to do that either.

I'm not entirely sure this is always or even often any kind of "opening". I think some people are just more expressive with positive feedback (?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships