Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 PM

129 posts, read 494,240 times

Advertisements

im sincerely asking these questions. please answer either your personal experience or of someone you know firsthand.

has anyone here given up a relationship with someone they love because they wanted to try to find someone else who has money.
and if you found someone who has money...but you love the previous person with no money more. but you married the wealthy one. did you end up regretting it years down the road. or were you happy you chose the money

on the other hand. did any of you love someone who had no money but got with them anyway? did you regret it later and wish you found someone whos more financially stable or even years down the road did you still feel you made the right decision?

sorry if i sound naive or shallow. but i an genuinely wanting to know peoples responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Does this person just not have much money, or do they have a problem managing what little money they do have? Those are two very, very different issues.

Also, do they have realistic plans for being able to support themselves and their children in the future? Are they making solid progress towards that goal?

And, how are you with money? Do you manage it well? Are you progressing towards earning enough that you will not need to care how much your partner has? If not, why not?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
It could be worse. You could marry somebody for money and later found out you didn't love them and after that, find out they didn't even have money.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Nope.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 PM

805 posts, read 1,559,193 times
No.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Nope.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aek11 View Post
im sincerely asking these questions. please answer either your personal experience or of someone you know firsthand.

has anyone here given up a relationship with someone they love because they wanted to try to find someone else who has money.
and if you found someone who has money...but you love the previous person with no money more. but you married the wealthy one. did you end up regretting it years down the road. or were you happy you chose the money

on the other hand. did any of you love someone who had no money but got with them anyway? did you regret it later and wish you found someone whos more financially stable or even years down the road did you still feel you made the right decision?

sorry if i sound naive or shallow. but i an genuinely wanting to know peoples responses.
I don't think money is the big factor in a loving relationship. However, this is not to say that money is not important at all.
I decided to marry my financial equal, as long as he makes similar amount of money I make, I don't think we'd have any problems in the future.

I've known several people in real life married for money. well, they are not happy but money is more important to them than love. To each his own I guess.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
I had a girlfriend break up with me over her perceiving another guy was a better catch all around. She was considering a few different factors, but money was a big part of it. That guy eventually left her, I'm married now, and this ex of mine? She's 37 now and still lives with her mom!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 PM

448 posts, read 685,443 times
Love doesn't pay the bills.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
I married a poor girl. I calculated the present value of supporting her over my life-time to my next best opportunity; then i mentally calculated the present value of the expected benefits of being married to her and divided by my marginal utility of income...and married her swiftly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships