Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 PM

355 posts, read 389,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Lol...Dial it down bro, it's not that serious. I'm majoring in accounting myself. While I'm not into the fine arts field myself you seem to despise it and anyone involved in it. Fine arts is a passion for some people and while times hits that field harder then accounting or engineering I'm not going to sit up here disrespect people who follow their passion.

Plus it's not as if they can't work regular jobs while pursuing their goals. Besides I and most people can't imagine a world without fine arts.
my friend wants to go into accounting, what's that like(so I can tell him)?

poe's law dude, I'm not angry at them I'm mocking them and their stupidity, it brings me great joy and a little bit of pity

the germans call it schadenfreude.

it's a waste of time and money to pursue a pipe dream, they'd be better off saving themselves the debt and working their way towards mcdonalds regional manager

now if they can do it without taking away from the other aspects of their life, then they can go for it

I'm actually not a big fan of fine arts, I'm not big on music, paintings and other traditional art are a little boring, modern art is terrible and stupid BS, plays are also boring, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I can't think of a profession that I would not date I guess if she works a cartel, mafia or secret illuminati society. lol

On my end I will starting classes to get my masters in Social Work soon and if that takes me out of some you folks running well that is the way the world turns.
here's the scary part, they're everywhere, you wouldn't ever know if your best friend was one of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I got my BFA in musical theatre. My classes were centered around performing - singing, dancing, acting, music theory, piano, etc. I also had to take core academic classes since it wasn't a conservatory. When you make performing your career - your education never ends. Right now, I'm taking a break from my career to have children and take care of them - but usually I still take voice lessons, audition classes, dance classes, acting classes, etc. It's about honing my skills. And I work as a performer in musicals. And, yes, I have made money doing so. My husband got his degree in history and now runs sound on Broadway. His career is a lot more stable than mine and he supports us.

It's funny because I know a lot of people online say that anything in show business is a turn off - but in real life, it's never been a problem for me! To each their own!
does it bother you to know that if you devoted your life to something more meaningful that YOU could've discovered the higgs boson particle and won a nobel prize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilkingx2 View Post

does it bother you to know that if you devoted your life to something more meaningful that YOU could've discovered the higgs boson particle and won a nobel prize?
Umm... no. I've brought joy to many, many people and I absolutely love what I do. Like I said, it was never a problem for me in the dating world. I've never had a person lose interest in me because of what I do. In fact - quite the opposite. But I didn't pursue this career with the judgement of others in mind. For the record, my husband said he would never date an actress and he ended up marrying one!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,004,718 times
Quote:
what does a music degree even teach you? how to play instruments? singing? songwriting? all of the above?

do you think you could start a group and become the next john lennon(minus the getting shot by a crazy fan thing)?
Composition of classical music. Professional level performance of classical music. It prepares you to be in a symphony orchestra, etc.

Or, like the lady said, a Broadway show.

A path not taken, for me. I was a music geek.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,219,132 times
Quote:
my friend wants to go into accounting, what's that like(so I can tell him)?

poe's law dude, I'm not angry at them I'm mocking them and their stupidity, it brings me great joy and a little bit of pity

the germans call it schadenfreude.

it's a waste of time and money to pursue a pipe dream, they'd be better off saving themselves the debt and working their way towards mcdonalds regional manager

now if they can do it without taking away from the other aspects of their life, then they can go for it

I'm actually not a big fan of fine arts, I'm not big on music, paintings and other traditional art are a little boring, modern art is terrible and stupid BS, plays are also boring, etc.

here's the scary part, they're everywhere, you wouldn't ever know if your best friend was one of them

Your just a big ol' ball of fun aren't you?

Do you like playing video games?

As for your friend, you can tell him a couple of important things. For one, when he finally gets his foot in the door he's going to be doing way more than crunching numbers. And no matter which part of the accounting field he's getting into, at some point during a year it gets extremely hectic, I mean working up to 90 to 100 hours a week hectic.

Last edited by Ro2113; 07-23-2013 at 06:37 PM..

6,732 posts, read 10,004,718 times
Quote:
It's funny because I know a lot of people online say that anything in show business is a turn off - but in real life, it's never been a problem for me! To each their own!
Same here, with traditionally male, physically demanding occupations.

1,636 posts, read 3,169,079 times
Quote:
Does it bother you that you're a terrible, small minded, judgmental person?

It truly bothers me that some folks will never grasp the concept that success and a meaningful, fulfilling life mean different things to different people.

My best friend is one of the most academically gifted men you will ever meet, and he is devoting himself to serving special needs children. He will probably never be known outside of our town, but he is fulfilling his calling each and every day. He could have chosen any number of professions, and quite frankly, made a boatload more money. He is a simple man, always has been. He doesn't own a car and has 3 room mates. You know what? He never complains, is always the happiest guy in the room, and I could name 100 people who would do anything for him.

I've recently discovered my passion is with animals and volunteering, neither of which pays much or will be noteworthy to people outside of my immediate circle. I work in finance now, but am looking at ways to incorporate this into my life. Different people have different desires. I am happiest while volunteering at an animal shelter for $0 with no recognition. I enjoy the peace it brings me. I hope you find yours, and stop judging others. It's ugly.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,014,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post

It truly bothers me that some folks will never grasp the concept that success and a meaningful, fulfilling life mean different things to different people.

My best friend is one of the most academically gifted men you will ever meet, and he is devoting himself to serving special needs children. He will probably never be known outside of our town, but he is fulfilling his calling each and every day. He could have chosen any number of professions, and quite frankly, made a boatload more money. He is a simple man, always has been. He doesn't own a car and has 3 room mates. You know what? He never complains, is always the happiest guy in the room, and I could name 100 people who would do anything for him.

I've recently discovered my passion is with animals and volunteering, neither of which pays much or will be noteworthy to people outside of my immediate circle. I work in finance now, but am looking at ways to incorporate this into my life. Different people have different desires. I am happiest while volunteering at an animal shelter for $0 with no recognition. I enjoy the peace it brings me. I hope you find yours, and stop judging others. It's ugly.
And to think, he's only 18! he's got so much more judging to do!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
And to think, he's only 18! he's got so much more judging to do!
That's why it's not even worth trying to prove anything to the guy. He knows everything already so why bother?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 PM

355 posts, read 389,440 times
Quote:
Your just a big ol' ball of fun aren't you?

Do you like playing video games?
I LOVE video games, so much so, that before I decided on mechanical engineering I was going to become a developer(and it's STILL my plan B incase being an engineer doesn't work out)

and I am a whole lot of fun, I am reknowned among my peers for my humor

(below is me talking about aforementioned humor for a few paragraphs)
Spoiler
back in 9th grade I made a funny eulogy for school, a funny powerpoint presentation, two or three funny elevator pitches for engineering class(it was a filler class that was likely unique to my school but everyone had to take it)

the eulogy was a willy loman death of a salesman thing for english class, and my best joke was "willy loman had one thing in common with pink floyd, his greatest hit was the wall"

for one of the elevator pitches my best joke was "and if you call now you can buy one for the price of two and get the second one, FREE"

and for the spanish project(the funny powerpoint presentation) which was about a theoretical travel agency to some random south american country, the number for the agency was 1-800-REAL-NUM(or did I use 1-800-NOT-REAL, I forget)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Spoiler

some people are happy wasting their lives, some people don't see altruism for no personal benefit to be a waste of time(exception: if you've got millions or billions in the bank or a high 6 figure or a 7+ figure salary)

I just enjoy mocking the ones who'll end up bitter and working at starbucks when art school doesn't work out(as it inevitably won't) and they're in debt but not making any real money to counter it

my brother has an english degree and makes 70k a year, but his job has literally nothing to do with his career, and therefor was a waste of time and money(although he aspires to become a successful writer, so....)

Quote:
Umm... no. I've brought joy to many, many people and I absolutely love what I do. Like I said, it was never a problem for me in the dating world. I've never had a person lose interest in me because of what I do. In fact - quite the opposite. But I didn't pursue this career with the judgement of others in mind. For the record, my husband said he would never date an actress and he ended up marrying one!
I wouldn't lose interest in you either, I'd just have to muffle some laughter and bite my tongue

whatever makes you happy lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Composition of classical music. Professional level performance of classical music. It prepares you to be in a symphony orchestra, etc.

Or, like the lady said, a Broadway show.

A path not taken, for me. I was a music geek.
interesting... not nearly as useless as an english degree

Quote:
As for your friend, you can tell him a couple of important things. For one, when he finally gets his foot in the door he's going to be doing way more than crunching numbers. And no matter which part of the accounting field he's getting into, at some point during a year it gets extremely hectic, I mean working up to 90 to 100 hours a week sometimes hectic.
oh my god... so he's completely ****ed then?

Last edited by devilkingx2; 07-23-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
oh my god... so he's completely ****ed then?
That's why I said sometimes. not all of the time. There are certain parts in a year where businesses need their financials reported to the government. After those busy times its usually either a normal work schedule or you get some time off to balance things out. And 90 to 100 hours is at the very worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships