Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 11:50 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,244,251 times

Advertisements

Was one particular location better than another in terms of selection? I am finding that the post-college crowd here, in general is not necessarily suitable to my personality. This isn't the case if I look for people in other (and often larger ) cities to the far north of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,012,342 times
I think each site has it's own personality, but what that personality is varies by location.

Most sites, even if they are pay, let you browse profiles without joining. So you can look at who is on which site in your area, what type of people.

Where I live, it's like this:

OKCupid = the main site, very liberal and educated, skews heavily to ppl in their 20s, but lots of other people too. Good matching algorithm.

Plenty of Fish = second most popular, skews more working class

Match = moderately conservative people, more of them over 30 or 40 I think

Craigslist = mostly for hookups with unusual wants, e.g people looking for 3ways or trans people, etc. But if you are into that, it's good. A friend of mine met an awesome trans woman and they like each other a lot. There are also some non-unusual people -- I know two who met there and got married.

eHarmony = ultra-conservative

Old 07-27-2013, 02:45 PM

Oh. Now I think I totally misunderstood your post and you were asking about geographical locations! Oh well, maybe my post will help someone else .

Re: geography, my answer is yes .

Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,065,837 times
I moved from a smaller city of 800k to one of 3 million.

In the first city, most of the women in my age range (25-37) were unattractive, overweight, and had kids. In addition, there were very few women in general on the sites. So, it was useless for me, as I have no kids and am in shape.

The larger city I moved to has so many more women using online dating in my age range. Many are attractive, have no kids, have careers, and are educated.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:31 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,415,401 times
I moved from Central Jersey to Denver - I just fit in better here. My dating options are much wider and more interesting. The pickings for someone like me were very slim in my hometown, though the population density was probably similar. The number of dates where I felt the urge to stab myself in the leg under the table to distract myself from the horror is also significantly lower.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The number of dates where I felt the urge to stab myself in the leg under the table to distract myself from the horror is also significantly lower.
That's always a plus.

I hesitate to date where I live because I don't want to stay here. I feel I should wait til I move, and date there.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,671,225 times
I've done online dating on both coasts and I'd say the east coast has been MUCH better for me.

The west coast (in the area I was living in) was filled with guys who just wanted to hang out at the beach, get drunk and smoke weed. Rarely could they hold a conversation and they were generally only looking for hookups while completely lying about wanting something long term. Many had children they neglected to mention (sometimes multiple children by multiple women) and still considered themselves childless because they weren't in their kids lives much.

I think the east coast is much pickier on looks because there are sooo many women available, but I have met a lot of pretty neat people as friends using OKcupid and POF. I met the guy I'm seeing now on OKC, but I also met a few people who I literally wanted to run away from. I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships