Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:53 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,443,917 times

Advertisements

I was never the 'type' of person who would get a tattoo. I am a mom, I used to go to the PTA, wholesome, all that good stuff.

Anymore, I don't think there is really a type of person who has tattoos. Business people have them, drs and lawyers, etc.

I have three, and 2 of them are pretty big. My bf does not like tattoos, and does not encourage me to get them, but he also wouldn't break up with me if I did.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,211,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My longtime SO has never been into drinking, smoking, clubbing, drugs, etc. He's a wholesome, good person. He's not in his 20s anymore. Every so often, he wants to get a tattoo, but never comes close to doing it. He'll talk about it for a bit one day, then it's onto something else. I HATE, DESPISE, LOATHE them & he knows that. It's just my opinion about them & everyone has the right to their opinion about things. Chances are, he probably won't ever get one & even he's said that himself, but you never know. And no, him getting a tattoo isn't a deal breaker in our relationship.

Has this or something similar happened to you?

Let's not turn this thread into me thinking I'm better than everyone. There's nothing wrong with people just not liking certain things, it's as simple as that.
I soooooo understand where you are coming from. I hate them too. Fortunately, my husband has never indicated any desire to get one, and to be honest, I don't know what I would do if he suddenly did decide he couldn't live without mutilating himself.

You might suggest to him to get an airbrush tattoo to satisfy his strange craving for this kind of behavior. They are temporary, thank god. Also, it might help if you understood why he is thinking this way. What is his rationale? If he is wanting to memorialize something, you might work together to find a better way of accomplishing the same thing. i.e. planting a tree for someone who has died, etc.

Finally, I suppose that if he is dead-set to do it, you can't stop him. He is an adult, after all. Good luck.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 PM

52,418 posts, read 52,935,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
People with tattoos ought to accept and own that people will sometimes unfairly judge them for what they have done to their bodies.

OP, he has the right to do it, and you have the right to leave him. And it doesn't make you any more shallow of a person than anyone who has ever left a boyfriend/girlfriend for doing something they didn't agree with.
This^

I have long hair and a goatee, I actually have been judged to be the warehouse worker in my office. We had new hire and she flat out asked me if I was the warehouse guy.... LOL

I was mildly irked, but if it looks like a duck and talks like a duck, people are gonna assume you're a duck........

Sadly people still treat tattoos like ducks........ but hey, it's the world we live in....

Old 07-28-2013, 04:23 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,241,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This^

I have long hair and a goatee, I actually have been judged to be the warehouse worker in my office. We had new hire and she flat out asked me if I was the warehouse guy.... LOL

I was mildly irked, but if it looks like a duck and talks like a duck, people are gonna assume you're a duck........

Sadly people still treat tattoos like ducks........ but hey, it's the world we live in....
But be honest here: Do you get a little zip when people realize they got caught up in some presumption or prejudice? Because I love it when they squirm.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,693,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
But be honest here: Do you get a little zip when people realize they got caught up in some presumption or prejudice? Because I love it when they squirm.

I was at a meeting with a few aviation folks a few years back and had my tattoos covered up. One of our servers had their sleeves rolled up and had a tattoo on her arm. After she left I was able to sit through these guys talking crap about this woman while me and my boss silently smiled at each other. Towards the end of our dinner/drinks I took off my blazer so my tattoos showed. They looked genuinely shocked and my boss and I had a good laugh. I think I may have changed a few peoples minds that night because one of them ended up giving me a glowing recommendation for the job I'm at now.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
In my line of work, I interact with attorneys and C-levels everyday. And in those white collar environments, the only individuals seen with tattoos are the people who work in the mail room.
For this most part, *if* the attorneys have one, they are not visible on a daily basis. I know a *very* straight-laced attorney and I happened to run into him at the store one day after his workout and I noticed a tribal tattoo on his bicep. I was frankly shocked.

Alas, even upscale people occasionally feel the pressure to give in to popular culture. Unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-28-2013, 04:55 PM

52,418 posts, read 52,935,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
LOL, I suppose.....

I used to drive an old ratty economy car, I have since got a nicer mustang, but then, I drove around looking like Jeff Bridges in that movie "The Big Lebowski".... it was sort of cool to be an engineer type and have people misjudge me and find out more about me. I also dress pretty casually, verging on looking like a homeless guy.... LOL...

I pulled down almost 6 figures last yr, not that is that much, but it ain't bad , and like I said I used to drive this old ratty car, looking like "The Dude"......

Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,693,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
For this most part, *if* the attorneys have one, they are not visible on a daily basis. I know a *very* straight-laced attorney and I happened to run into him at the store one day after his workout and I noticed a tribal tattoo on his bicep. I was frankly shocked.

Alas, even upscale people occasionally feel the pressure to give in to popular culture. Unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson
Oh please

For me, getting my tattoos wasn't pressure at all. To this day I'm still one of the only people in my social groups with a tattoo. I'm definitely the most heavily tattooed by far. Where is this pressure you speak of? You honestly don't think people can make decisions on their own?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,266,471 times
There's a deeper issue here.

OP sounds like you and your SO are essentially ill-matched. He wants to decorate himself, you loathe it. He is more open minded, you are extremely fixed in your views.

I'm no fan of tattoos either, especially fugly ones, but I wouldn't have a problem at all if anyone decided to get one. It's their body.

You probably have dimples in your thighs he's not too thrilled about either, but he doesn't harangue you about them, does he?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh please

For me, getting my tattoos wasn't pressure at all. To this day I'm still one of the only people in my social groups with a tattoo. I'm definitely the most heavily tattooed by far. Where is this pressure you speak of? You honestly don't think people can make decisions on their own?
Well, back in the day, before popular culture media glamorized this kind of behavior with "reality shows" like Miami Ink, etc., the only people who had tattoos were military men, criminals, degenerates and circus freaks. For a lot of people, the tattooed fall into one of these four categories.

What can I say? http://www.springfieldmugshots.com/m...l-e-campbell-3

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships