Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM

13,664 posts, read 9,738,979 times

Advertisements

Ultimately all emotions (and even rational decisions!) devolve to chemical reactions in the brain. The comprehensive totality of all that we are, is in principle a very complicated and variegated set of chemical reactions. Consider that, and one is really struck by the finitude of one's supposedly intense and fundamental persuasions... an emotion which of course is itself just chemicals reacting!

Love is amongst our better emotions, inducing most strongly our better aspirations and commitments. Though occasionally faked and often exaggerated, sometimes thwarted or unrequited, it nevertheless spurs us on - to strive, to persevere, to forgive, to protect, to partner. If we at all retain our sanity after meta-emotion that we're merely bags of goo, we might as well direct that sanity towards love - even if the pursuit ultimately drives us insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,904,236 times
Love is real. When you have it it's the ultimate connection of loyalty.You make sacrifices and compromise. You think of others first. Health wise you are the healthiest. I talked to doctors that were at my college for a seminar. They explained the human body is able to pump blood better through the body which helps the brain. The body also heals faster when in love. An extreme love is with a child. Ever hear of the mother who lifted a car so her child could get out? Yes it's adrenaline rush that gave her the power, but why?
Because that's the power of Love.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 AM

39,247 posts, read 27,650,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterunit View Post
LOVE is nothing but chemicals. These chemicals are worse than drugs which makes you addicted with the person you are supposed to be IN LOVE with. But after 2 or 3 years , these chemicals wax and wane and so do the so called LOVE.

So why people think something called LOVE exist when it is just an illusion ?
If we follow this kind of logic, human existence is illusion as well. We can’t take love seriously as we know it is just an illusion and on the other hand, we persistently being pestered by our biological instincts to fall in love. We would be trapped in a no-man’s land. That to me, is a miserable lose-lose situation. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss, no?

I just know that love has given me a reason to survive. I've felt love from my parents, siblings, friends, many guys I've dated in the past. Love gives me power and makes me smile. It increases the serotonin level in the brain, it increases sex drive, makes one's skin glow. Love makes you want to be a better person, it can't be a bad thing. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 AM

52,307 posts, read 52,771,567 times
The OP is viewing love, and life, thru a thick fog of a negative "energy" for lack of better phrase. It colors how we view the world. I know, cause I have to try and look thru the fog myself at times.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 AM

943 posts, read 1,005,134 times
And you are nothing but a bunch of atoms and molecules banging against each other and creating the illusion of a thing you like to name, and so is everything else.
Nevertheless we are all on this planet together for whatever reason to enjoy each other, or not, to love each other or not, to make it a better place to exist, or not.
If you think too hard about it, its depressing, at some point in your journey you have to accept what is, what we've named things and their process in order to understand and study them.
You as a human being have a finite amount of time to make the most of your existance, would you go without love just because it has a scientific definition?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,033,731 times
[quote=Misterunit;30761315]LOVE is nothing but chemicals. These chemicals are worse than drugs which makes you addicted with the person you are supposed to be IN LOVE with. But after 2 or 3 years , these chemicals wax and wane and so do the so called LOVE.

Love is a conscious and active decision made by an individual to treat others with a loving attitude, even in the face of adversity problems.

When love is confused with lust, or when it is believed to only be a chemical/emotional reaction, then problems will creep into relationships. One cannot be loving to another when their love is dependent on the relationship always being on an emotional high, because it is unrealistic to expect that there never be lows.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 AM

26 posts, read 39,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Love is real. When you have it it's the ultimate connection of loyalty.You make sacrifices and compromise. You think of others first. Health wise you are the healthiest. I talked to doctors that were at my college for a seminar. They explained the human body is able to pump blood better through the body which helps the brain. The body also heals faster when in love. An extreme love is with a child. Ever hear of the mother who lifted a car so her child could get out? Yes it's adrenaline rush that gave her the power, but why?
Because that's the power of Love.
That's not like , thatis instinct.
I have seen a news about a daughter lifting a bmw to save her father. But that's because of chemicals (adernaline).

Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,210,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterunit View Post
LOVE is nothing but chemicals. These chemicals are worse than drugs which makes you addicted with the person you are supposed to be IN LOVE with. But after 2 or 3 years , these chemicals wax and wane and so do the so called LOVE.

So why people think something called LOVE exist when it is just an illusion ?
Everything we experience is chemically based. It's who we are and how we're made. I love it. Especially as a new mom. I have all kinds of crazy love chemicals running through me. It's a trip.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Everything we experience is chemically based. It's who we are and how we're made. I love it. Especially as a new mom. I have all kinds of crazy love chemicals running through me. It's a trip.
Exactly. I don't get the OPs view that feelings aren't real because they are chemically based. Science has proven time and again that chemical responses are very real, refuting his claim. It's like claiming water doesn't exist while defining it as H2O. Weird.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,434,376 times
Love comes in many forms and goes further than just mere chemistry, which would be convenient simplistic reasoning when human beings are unlike animals, far more complicated than biology or physics. Love is a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a friend, for a parent or child, and so forth; warm fondness or liking for another; also, the kindly affection properly expressed by angels and humans toward one another. It is that strong or passionate affection for a person of the opposite sex that constitutes the emotional incentive to conjugal union. One of the synonyms for love is 'devotion'. Love should be guided by principles such as righteousness even towards one’s enemies, for whom a person may not have affection, which can be an aspect of love even if not synonomous . This facet or expression of love is an unselfish devotion to righteousness and a sincere concern for the lasting welfare of others, along with an active expression of this for their good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships