Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,859,688 times

Advertisements

I keep reading threads on here that go like this:

The OP says "I am having a relationship problem." It gets discussed back and forth with a few responses and then someone pipes up (particularly if the OP is female) saying "You are bad at picking mates! You have to go to therapy. Obviously, you are attracted to horrible men with lots of baggage." without having any real insight into the OP's history or state of mind.

This annoys me because I truly don't think that people exist who do not have SOME kind of baggage. There are the usual kinds-- dysfunction in the family, difficulty with exes, general problems with motivation in life, commitment issues, confidence issues, etc. Then there are more serious kinds: mental illness, addictive behaviors, trouble with kids from previous relationships (custody battles), trouble with the law, bankruptcies or severe money problems, and on and on. Some of these can bridge from typical to serious, some are red flags, but I think that all of us have at least a small carry on of baggage (even purse size) that we bring with us when we meet someone else. The idea that we can always avoid anyone with baggage in order to pick a "good" partner who will never act out or be unreasonable is hard to believe. Likewise, learning to deal with and overcome some of these issues can actually provide valuable skills in coping and relating to others.

So what do you think? Do you know anyone who is absolutely baggage free? And what sorts of baggage are acceptable to you? What sorts are not?

Last edited by confusedasusual; 12-22-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,680,412 times
Anyone worth dating has baggage.
I rather deal with their baggage than give them their first piece...

Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,671,225 times
EVERYONE has baggage of some sort. Usually, the people who say they don't are the ones with the most...just like when drama queens/kings say they hate 'drama' but they create it everywhere they go.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,402,653 times
It's possible to have almost no baggage if you're a teenager or young adult when dating. There's a difference between "life's baggage" (which is unavoidable for everyone, even children), and "relationship baggage." The latter consists of having bitterness because you've been cheated on, abused, lied to or otherwise exploited in relationships. You see an awful lot of that on this Forum.

Life wears many people down. And eventually generic baggage bleeds into relationships. If you're fired from your job or have a severe illness, that's "baggage" that will intrude upon any romantic relationship.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM

245 posts, read 386,820 times
I think everyone has some baggage. Just avoid the major stuff and people who are bitter.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,160,981 times
Default Do baggage free people really exist? What do you think?

Well, looking at the amount of time it takes my 'baggage' to appear at the airport you have to wonder. I have to assume everyone has loads of it......

Last edited by Baldrick; 12-22-2012 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: YES! I edited... YES! I'm a failure in the eyes of humanity.. *sob*

Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,366,993 times
Are you kidding? No. Everyone has some kind of baggage.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,910,283 times
Everyone has baggage, some carry small bags and some carry huge trunks. I know at my age I might encounter baggage like ailing parents, financial troubles, etc and these are ones I can handle. I can't handle anything having to do with relationship baggage like divorce or children. I get a lot of flaming for this but it's better to be honest with what I can handle than what I can't.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I keep reading threads on here that go like this:

The OP says "I am having a relationship problem." It gets discussed back and forth with a few responses and then someone pipes up (particularly if the OP is female) saying "You are bad at picking mates! You have to go to therapy. Obviously, you are attracted to horrible men with lots of baggage." without having any real insight into the OP's history or state of mind.

This annoys me because I truly don't think that people exist who do not have SOME kind of baggage. There are the usual kinds-- dysfunction in the family, difficulty with exes, general problems with motivation in life, commitment issues, confidence issues, etc. Then there are more serious kinds: mental illness, addictive behaviors, trouble with kids from previous relationships (custody battles), trouble with the law, bankruptcies or severe money problems, and on and on. Some of these can bridge from typical to serious, some are red flags, but I think that all of us have at least a small carry on of baggage (even purse size) that we bring with us when we meet someone else. The idea that we can always avoid anyone with baggage in order to pick a "good" partner who will never act out or be unreasonable is hard to believe. Likewise, learning to deal with and overcome some of these issues can actually provide valuable skills in coping and relating to others.

So what do you think? Do you know anyone who is absolutely baggage free? And what sorts of baggage are acceptable to you? What sorts are not?

Yeah, I see that a lot, too. Everyone wants to "blame the victim" particularly if its a female. Y'all SHOULD KNOW BETTER! Right. Run the other way if a dude looks at you crooked. Right. If you have a fight, you should be blamed because you should have seen that your guy is a psycho with baggage. Uh huh. None of this is helpful.

Everyone has something that haunts them. Find someone whose bags match yours.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,671,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Yeah, I see that a lot, too. Everyone wants to "blame the victim" particularly if its a female. Y'all SHOULD KNOW BETTER! Right. Run the other way if a dude looks at you crooked. Right. If you have a fight, you should be blamed because you should have seen that your guy is a psycho with baggage. Uh huh. None of this is helpful.

Everyone has something that haunts them. Find someone whose bags match yours.
It's interesting, because guys will tell the women that they should spend more time picking good mates and not just jump into a relationship with anyone, but then they'll turn right around and complain about women who are less than receptive when they cold approach them on the street or when they don't put out by the third date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships