Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,810,844 times

Advertisements

Well, for what it's worth, if anyone should be bitter about marriage, I should be one of those people--but I am not.

Short story. I am divorced. My Ex-husband cheated on me, he left me, he also left me holding the bag on a lot of debt that we had to split 50/50 (along with assets 50/50). If you want to get technical about things, over the course of the marriage I made a lot more money than he did, so in that respect I got burned. I also had a nest egg when the marriage started that disappeared and got a $30k inheritance about 10 months before he left me that he spent entirely on himself (used it for college tuition--I agreed to it. But I didn't know he'd leave me).

He was a bad egg as far as spouses go.

But I know he's not the representative of all men in this world. If anything, I am the eternal optimist and have hope in mankind. I think most men are good and most marriages are good (most marriages DON'T end in divorce... not even 50% that's an outdated and overly misquoted statistic).

Marriage isn't a huge goal of mine, but I do think about it and it might happen in the future. And I might be an optimist, but I am not stupid. I plan on a pre-nup if there is a round two. I've rebuilt my assets post-divorce and want to protect them. And since most men my age who are single are also divorced--I think most of them would see the wisdom in that.

I do want someone to spend my life with... I know it's hokey and maybe old fashion, but I want to find a man to pledge my love, loyalty and support to (and I want his love, loyalty and support). I want to live life, retire, and grow old with that man and be buried next to him.

Like I said marriage isn't an over-arching "goal" of mine. But if I find the right man and he finds me, I can easily see it happening again. It does have advantages that even just living together doesn't (without spouting off a list, why do you think gays are fighting so hard to have the right to marry?) It's not just about a piece of paper as people put it. I just plan on being more wise and more cautious before saying I do ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,238,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Same goes for me and my sisters. To be perfectly honest, getting married 40 years ago, when people took marriage seriously and getting married today, are two completely different things. It is really, really hard to find someone today, who is willing to make a marriage work, and geting married to someone who will walk in five years, because they are having a bad day or simply arent happy anymore, is a waste of time and energy. Thank your feminist sisters and their no fault divorce for that one. Big contribution to slow decay of our society via destruction of family unit.
I have people in my family that married 10 years ago and take their marriage seriously.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Isn't always the case. My parents are happily married 37 years. Always put their marriage first. I think the high expectation of their marriage in my mind deterred me (and my brother) from ever wanting to get married ourselves.
I wonder how typical it is that positive role models have the opposite result. I never really considered that anyone may have an expectation of me to marry or not marry, have a successful marriage, etc....they really don't. My family is mostly just concerned with my happiness, whatever choices that involves.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

Like I said marriage isn't an over-arching "goal" of mine.
Mine, either...but building a life with someone compatible with me definitely is. After a false start (no marriage in that case, thankfully), I'm well on my way.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,411,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I believe you can obtain all of those things in life without being married as well. Papers don't make a relationship/family work.
When some say "married," they may be looking at it from a religious aspect, not necessarily a legal one.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 AM

706 posts, read 1,206,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Same goes for me and my sisters. To be perfectly honest, getting married 40 years ago, when people took marriage seriously and getting married today, are two completely different things. It is really, really hard to find someone today, who is willing to make a marriage work, and geting married to someone who will walk in five years, because they are having a bad day or simply arent happy anymore, is a waste of time and energy. Thank your feminist sisters and their no fault divorce for that one. Big contribution to slow decay of our society via destruction of family unit.
Yes, those pain in the a** women who will no longer sit down and take it.

There are plenty of women who WILL no longer sit and take it and try to WORK on their marriages (counseling whatever), however have a husband that believe it's their "marital right" to treat their wives that way and refuse to address the issues at hand.

4,217 posts, read 7,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wonder how typical it is that positive role models have the opposite result. I never really considered that anyone may have an expectation of me to marry or not marry, have a successful marriage, etc....they really don't. My family is mostly just concerned with my happiness, whatever choices that involves.
Sorry if that came off confusing. My parents totally support me and my brothers decisions not to ever marry or have kids, they don't pressure us at all. It's the unreal expectation we place on ourselves that we know we can't recreate the marriage they have, so in turn we just opt out.

9,659 posts, read 10,238,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
When some say "married," they may be looking at it from a religious aspect, not necessarily a legal one.
Eh, I see marriage as a spiritual thing, not necessarily religious...

But then again, is spirituality concerned with religion? I don't know...

Old 08-02-2013, 07:52 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,612,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
Yes, those pain in the a** women who will no longer sit down and take it.

There are plenty of women who WILL no longer sit and take it and try to WORK on their marriages (counseling whatever), however have a husband that believe it's their "marital right" to treat their wives that way and refuse to address the issues at hand.
Really? Have you checked who exactly files for divorce at what rates? Have you seen which sex pays most alimony as in 96% of all money paid? Have you thought how that pimps divorce to selfish and materialistic people? I completely understand that my opinions often seem outlandish and not PC, but let me assure you - I dont share anything on here that I havent considered, questioned, tested and confirmed a hundred times.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,441,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It would sure be nice to cook the family breakfast and dinner, and [spend time with] the family pet, and spend time with the wife at the end of the evening.
You don't need to be married to to all this and more.

If there are no kids involved, other than tax reasons and some estate planning reasons, I don't see any reason why two people should get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships