Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 PM

757 posts, read 1,025,490 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading a thread on why people getting divorce. It seems to me that things like love, trust, respect and money matter are key issues that could break a marriage if not handling them properly even for ones that last for more than 20 years.

I am still single, for better or worse at my age, and would like to learn from other’s mistakes. It might come in handy some day. I would like to know what precisely should one do to sustain a long-term happy marriage. I want solid examples, not abstract concepts. Things that couples can actually do to maintain a happy relationship. Let’s start.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 PM

727 posts, read 1,534,284 times
I'm single myself, so the best I can do from you is help you learn from my mistakes.

1. NEVER SETTLE!!!! Just because you're with someone for a long time doesn't mean they're right for you.

2. Really - and I mean really - get to know a person before you make a serious commitment.

3. There has to be compatibility. You should be able to get along with her friends and family, she should be able to get along with your friends and family.

4. Date around. It'll give you an idea of what an ideal mate is for you.

5. Once you find out what you're looking for, don't be afraid to deviate slightly, but not too much. To better explain what I mean, one trait I look for in my ideal mate is to have the same juvenile sense of humor as myself, but I am also a sucker for brown eyes. That doesn't mean that I will dismiss someone who has the same juvenile sense of humor as myself, but has blue eyes.

6. Always seek advice. Have friends and family members you can confide in. After all, they probably know you better than you know yourself.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
Don't lie.

Don't keep secrets.

Treat your partner with at least as much respect and consideration as you treat strangers every day.

Think of your partner's happiness, needs, dreams, goals the same way you think of yours -- work towards them.

Choose a partner who does these things too. A large part of happiness is partner selection.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 PM

727 posts, read 1,534,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Don't lie.

Don't keep secrets.

Treat your partner with at least as much respect and consideration as you treat strangers every day.

Think of your partner's happiness, needs, dreams, goals the same way you think of yours -- work towards them.

Choose a partner who does these things too. A large part of happiness is partner selection.
I forgot about that last one. A relationship is a two-way street, and requires both partners to put forth effort to make it work. If you feel like you're the one doing all the work then you may need to reassess the situation.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Treat your spouse everyday for the rest of your lives like you would a brand new expensive car.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
I forgot about that last one. A relationship is a two-way street, and requires both partners to put forth effort to make it work. If you feel like you're the one doing all the work then you may need to reassess the situation.
It's very difficult finding someone who is willing to put in the work, though... The women who do are usually taken.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Treat your spouse everyday for the rest of your lives like you would a brand new expensive car.
Like the guy who crashed a rental Lamborghini?

Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 AM

10 posts, read 25,215 times
Make sure she loves giving you blowjobs. Blowjobs will get you through rough times better than good times will without blowjobs.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderwaterPhoto View Post
Make sure she loves giving you blowjobs. Blowjobs will get you through rough times better than good times will without blowjobs.
Some of us care not for receiving and would much rather give.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Like the guy who crashed a rental Lamborghini?
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships