Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,002,907 times

Advertisements

Arnold and Clint play "characters" in movies. There is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Exactly, you're right. WAY too many girly men now days, guys aren't supposed to be sensitive and talk about our feelings and cry while watching Bambi or some crap like that. Those kinds of guys are a failure of genetics and society and a total discredit to men everywhere. Guys are supposed to be strong, masculine, hard-headed, and macho. Those are the real men, like an Arnold Schwarzenegger or a Clint Eastwood. THOSE are men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 02:51 PM

550 posts, read 1,216,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
The men I know who seem to have the best luck in attracting women are the ones who seem to offer the least. These are men who mirror the style an personality of actor Russell Crowe. He is strong, silent, macho, mean, uncommunicative, cocky, unemotional and strong willed. He is everything a man is suppose to be in popular culture but exactly the type of man who is terrible for a personal relationship.

What is it about the macho man that is so attractive to women and why do ladies keep going for them time after time?
Where the hell do you live?
Whereever Russel crowe-style unemotional(at least outwards), silent etc work with women, I'd be king.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,675,648 times
I dunno, I was under the impression we always went for the badboys and the jerks.

Apparently we're going for strong silent types.

I wonder when, even if, the opinion of women will actually be taken into consideration.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,415,797 times
I went to the funeral commemorating the untimely death of a family member of someone who works with me. Many of us from work went to show our support. It showed how unfair life is.

I looked straight ahead for the duration of the service. It was IMPOSSIBLE not to be moved by the sermon and the tribute to this person. I carry a handerkerchief in my suit pants, in case of the big ACHOO. However, here, I tried to be very covert about "drying up" a little under my glasses. If a person wasn't a little wet in the eye from this one, they were made of stone. I wondered if any of the 30 or 40 men in attendance were dry-eyed for the DURATION of this service.

If that's what certain women need (the guy who can't emote), then it speaks very poorly about them. My opinionated 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,415,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
The men I know who seem to have the best luck in attracting women are the ones who seem to offer the least. These are men who mirror the style an personality of actor Russell Crowe. He is strong, silent, macho, mean, uncommunicative, cocky, unemotional and strong willed. He is everything a man is suppose to be in popular culture but exactly the type of man who is terrible for a personal relationship.

What is it about the macho man that is so attractive to women and why do ladies keep going for them time after time?
I know who he is, but have never seen one of his movies.

Personally, I think this type will always be "in style" because that's what women have been programmed to expect and want. (Don't argue with me...). HOWEVER, when this gets out of hand, women will then work to get out of the relationship/marriage. At that point, they've had enough. But it has taken its toll.

I always speak in reciprocal terms. So this applies to men, too. To get what they are programmed/expected to get to be perceived as "successful," they put up with a lot of crap when they should have walked sooner.

On a pheromonal level, those that are more exemplary and stereotypical of their gender do better than those that are not as "checklist packaged." That has withstood the test of time.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:38 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,241,866 times
Here's a thought - I don't think women want the overcontrolling, uncommunicative somewhat bent masculine types. But - a lot of women are pretty strong and don't want to spend the rest of their lives hiding that under a basket in case they upset some fragile masculine ego - so they try to find their match - feminine but strong to masculine strong but not an a**hole - pretty hard to do. More feminine but strong out there.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,495,717 times
mmm... I wonder... who send me a message like this.....

Listen to what I say without rolling your eyes. Do the dishes and clean the house and cook my supper.

No wonder I have not been to the relationship page for months....

All work and no benefits....

Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM

19,877 posts, read 22,782,911 times
I'm not macho but I'm strong. Suit during the day, t-shirt and jeans on nights and weekends. So where does that leave me?

Oh yeah- married to the same wonderful gal for 19 years. Must be doing something right. I really envy those pansy boys out there... Getting all that attention

Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,002,907 times
That huwt my feewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm not macho but I'm strong. Suit during the day, t-shirt and jeans on nights and weekends. So where does that leave me?

Oh yeah- married to the same wonderful gal for 19 years. Must be doing something right. I really envy those pansy boys out there... Getting all that attention

Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 PM

900 posts, read 1,704,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Haha...

Women that like Strong Silent type often complain about their men being mute and won't communicate.

Women that like sweet talker type often complain about their men fooling around and talking to other women.

What women want during dating and after married is often opposite... I wonder why. Men are still the same... the quiet ones are still quiet... the talkative ones are still talking... What do you want from us?
I have found that to be the case, though I don't have a lot of experience (Ive had 1 of each kind) is there something in between?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships