Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:25 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
this year i've got a gal planted on the inside who's going to heavily lobby for "white guys named odysseus"

i'll give you a generous bribe if you help get the momentum going on that when y'all vote

(you think i'm lying but how else can you explain john travolta being a sex symbol, huh? he did the same thing years ago)
He did it by virtue of his Vinnie Barbarino character, and his role in "Grease". He got a lot of mileage out of those two roles. Back in his good hair days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,357 times
Do young women prefer rugged manly men, pretty boys or men in between?

(Whether they acknowledge it or not), The guy who most resembles her dad.

Do We Marry Our Parents? | Brazen Life

Are You Dating Your Father? | Lifescript.com

Are You Dating Your Father? Did You Marry Your Dad?

Like Father, Like Husband? Why You Might Marry Your Dad - Lemondrop.com

Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Do young women prefer rugged manly men, pretty boys or men in between?

(Whether they acknowledge it or not), The guy who most resembles her dad.
No I actually agree with you. My brother married a women like my mom. And this was explained in psychology.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,847 times
The younger the girl, the more she prefers pretty boy types. As she gets older, her tastes generally change to more masculine men.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
this year i've got a gal planted on the inside who's going to heavily lobby for "white guys named odysseus"

i'll give you a generous bribe if you help get the momentum going on that when y'all vote

(you think i'm lying but how else can you explain john travolta being a sex symbol, huh? he did the same thing years ago)
I'll do what I can but I'm not one of the higher ups. I'll talk to my area rep and see what I can do.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I have seen this question so many times on here - always asked by a man. It's such a peculiar question to me.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,145,464 times
By your definition, I like "in-between." As noted, women vary widely in taste.

I would say that I prefer a face on the pretty side & lean body to more rugged, hyper-masculine faces & stocky bodies. I don't like very metro grooming nor very rugged grooming. I like somewhat stylish & clean-cut, and occasionally a slightly arty look but not feminine or the homeless bum look. You have to be Johnny Depp level gorgeous to pull off that kinda thing.

I was discussing with a friend this trend in young men to look like "Metro Lumberjacks" (her phrase). They have beards & wear plaid, yet also wear shorts cut off above the knee & sport overly coiffed hair. Some have these very styled mustaches, as if they were in a circus side show. Others wear these flamboyantly printed silk shirts open at the chest, but then also work boots & scruffy facial hair. WHY?

It's like they're taking early 90s grunge revival & combining it with metrosexual grooming & it just looks.... weirdly effeminate for clothes derived from a burly, rugged man stereotype. After seeing many of these young men at a music festival recently, I admit I would've thought most were gay if I had not seen them holding hands & obviously "with" a young woman. I guess I am getting old... cuz I don't get what is attractive about that look :X .

/mini rant

Old 09-02-2013, 12:49 AM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Most of the younger women I know, more like mid 20s and not early 20s do the check out routine when a "hot guy" enters the room. The guys are almost always younger with closer to a pretty boy look. The guys they end up with seem to be much more normal looking then the guys with the pretty boy look. One of my friends whose 23, usually dates older men who are rougher looking rock guys, mid 30s. She would be the exception though.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 AM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
By your definition, I like "in-between." As noted, women vary widely in taste.

I would say that I prefer a face on the pretty side & lean body to more rugged, hyper-masculine faces & stocky bodies. I don't like very metro grooming nor very rugged grooming. I like somewhat stylish & clean-cut, and occasionally a slightly arty look but not feminine or the homeless bum look. You have to be Johnny Depp level gorgeous to pull off that kinda thing.

I was discussing with a friend this trend in young men to look like "Metro Lumberjacks" (her phrase). They have beards & wear plaid, yet also wear shorts cut off above the knee & sport overly coiffed hair. Some have these very styled mustaches, as if they were in a circus side show. Others wear these flamboyantly printed silk shirts open at the chest, but then also work boots & scruffy facial hair. WHY?

It's like they're taking early 90s grunge revival & combining it with metrosexual grooming & it just looks.... weirdly effeminate for clothes derived from a burly, rugged man stereotype. After seeing many of these young men at a music festival recently, I admit I would've thought most were gay if I had not seen them holding hands & obviously "with" a young woman. I guess I am getting old... cuz I don't get what is attractive about that look :X .

/mini rant
"Metro Lumberjacks" I know exactly what you mean. Crazy looking facial hair combined sylish clothing is common and not just at artistic events. To each his own though.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:03 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,270,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Most of the younger women I know, more like mid 20s and not early 20s do the check out routine when a "hot guy" enters the room. The guys are almost always younger with closer to a pretty boy look. The guys they end up with seem to be much more normal looking then the guys with the pretty boy look. One of my friends whose 23, usually dates older men who are rougher looking rock guys, mid 30s. She would be the exception though.
I prefer an older more manly men but really all that matters is the personality. If he's pretty or rugged doesn't really matter as long as he has the personality im happy with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships