Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times

Advertisements

There's a recent article on Yahoo that suggests that both genders view savers as equally attractive. Are frugal people more attractive? - Yahoo! Finance Canada

In my opinion more men view frugal women as a good trait, while women tend to view men as cheapskates for being frugal.

What are your thoughts? Hopefully this thread stays open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 11:24 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
There's a recent article on Yahoo that suggests that both genders view savers as equally attractive. Are frugal people more attractive? - Yahoo! Finance Canada

In my opinion more men view frugal women as a good trait, while women tend to view men as cheapskates for being frugal.

What are your thoughts? Hopefully this thread stays open.
There's a happy medium, either way. Penny-pinching is necessary if one is on a tight budget, but if one makes a generous salary, there's no reason to compulsively nickel-and-dime yourself or your loved one.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:24 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I'd rather date someone who is not frugal, and marry someone who is.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Nope. They are not less attractive, either.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Yep, I think that is generally ture, my second wife divorced me because I was "cheap" even though I was trying to secure our financial future. My gf has said I was cheap before but she is still with me and I work harder to not appear so cheap with her.

Women want to spend spend spend then get pissed when you don't have the resouces to do major things like buy a house that is why a frugal woman is so attractive.

My ex wife is doing well as she took me to court in the divorce for almost 20 grand and her new husband pampers her while I pay for the major stuff like her new car. But those payments end in a few months so I am guessing their relationship is going to go in the toilet, too bad soo sad. This is why I will never get married again as the courts are allowing women to have their cake and eat it too.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Thrifty, frugal, miserly, pennywise, pennypinching, cheap ... there's a big, subjective spectrum out there judging by adjectives alone. Calling someone a miser or cheapskate is never a compliment.

I think it's like driving. Anybody going faster than you like is a maniac, while people going slower than you like is a slowpoke idiot.

I am turned off by lavish spending; however, I am positive that my family is not nearly frugal enough according to others. It's all perspective.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
It's pretty easy to be frugal as a woman when you just sit back and expect the guy to pay everything.

Look at the threads run on this board, majority of the women feel ENTITLED to having the guy pay for everything. There is however a small percentage of women that don't.

Therefore, if the woman wants to go cheap with the guy it can be very relieving for the guy, however if the guy wants to go cheap... it doesn't usually work to his favor.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Yep, I think that is generally ture, my second wife divorced me because I was "cheap" even though I was trying to secure our financial future. My gf has said I was cheap before but she is still with me and I work harder to not appear so cheap with her.

Women want to spend spend spend then get pissed when you don't have the resouces to do major things like buy a house that is why a frugal woman is so attractive.
SOME women! Screen out the spendy types. There are plenty out there who aren't like that.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 AM

It just depends on if you can do the big things in life when the time comes, if your always coming up short on cash to buy that new boat or put a healthy 20% down on a house you want, etc then your probably blowing way too much money.

That boat will create a lot more memories out on the lake water skiing than starbucks every morning but some people are too short sighted to see that.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
SOME women! Screen out the spendy types. There are plenty out there who aren't like that.
For guys like me there is only so much screening I can afford to do but yes this partially is one of them. I hate being broke its a very unsettling feeling in this economic climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships