Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
It's guy talk...AKA BS. I wouldn't and don't put much stock into what men say to each other about their relationships and women.

Don't take it so personally.
I didnt want to respond to this thread.
But.... I dont agree here.

Women should be concerned to some level about this kind of stuff.

I havent heard a guy talk like this in about 10 years. And I know some guys that are pretty big and built.
It should be a red flag to a woman that dates a guy that talks like this. It isn't totally BS.

Be concerned. Dealbreaker? Probably not, as long as specific names arent being used. But again, I havent heard that caveman talk in over 10 years. And I hang out with a lot of different guys. We are mostly 30 years old and up. It is more common amoung 16-22...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I didnt want to respond to this thread.
But.... I dont agree here.

Women should be concerned to some level about this kind of stuff.

I havent heard a guy talk like this in about 10 years. And I know some guys that are pretty big and built.
It should be a red flag to a woman that dates a guy that talks like this. It isn't totally BS.

Be concerned. Dealbreaker? Probably not, as long as specific names arent being used. But again, I havent heard that caveman talk in over 10 years. And I hang out with a lot of different guys. We are mostly 30 years old and up. It is more common amoung 16-22...
Well, I am in my 20's so it's still fairly prevalent. He can talk all he wants, but trust me, he knows better than to talk to me that way.

I don't mind guy talk at a bar after a couple drinks. I know I can be guilty of the same thing.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Well, I am in my 20's so it's still fairly prevalent. He can talk all he wants, but trust me, he knows better than to talk to me that way.

I don't mind guy talk at a bar after a couple drinks. I know I can be guilty of the same thing.
Alcohol makes it okay then, huh?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Alcohol makes it okay then, huh?

I just think it's okay regardless. I grew up in a household full of men. I know how they talk when they are together. 99% of it is harmless banter. Now, if it carries over into the relationship-it's a problem, but for the most part I find it doesn't.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
I have to agree with others, it's just a bunch of men talking a bunch of crap. Most of the stuff said they are just trying to top each other and impress others, and have no idea what they are talking about. It's like being in a locker room and guys telling half truths about how many women they take home a week, knowing they are going home to their left hand, the internet and a bottle of lotion. And to be fair women can be just as bad. Talking about how much money a guy has to have, or good looking he has to look or how they got a guy to spend money on them. Can't take that stuff personally, especially when stuff like that comes from people you will never ever meet.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I just think it's okay regardless. I grew up in a household full of men. I know how they talk when they are together. 99% of it is harmless banter. Now, if it carries over into the relationship-it's a problem, but for the most part I find it doesn't.
The problem is the following:
It kind of sabatoges the person to whoever they are being bashed to.
If a guy or gal starts talking trash to friends about someone they are dating, it creates problems in social situations. The partner never gets a fair chance to represent themself.
Actual blood related brothers talking is waaaaaaay different than 'bros' talking.
You can vent and BS with guys that share your last name.
But 'bros'.... totally different.

I can see why you are a little confused here. Don't mix up brothers venting with 'bros' venting. Does it happen, sure. But it isn't and shouldn't be the same.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I have to agree with others, it's just a bunch of men talking a bunch of crap. Most of the stuff said they are just trying to top each other and impress others, and have no idea what they are talking about. It's like being in a locker room and guys telling half truths about how many women they take home a week, knowing they are going home to their left hand, the internet and a bottle of lotion. And to be fair women can be just as bad. Talking about how much money a guy has to have, or good looking he has to look or how they got a guy to spend money on them. Can't take that stuff personally, especially when stuff like that comes from people you will never ever meet.
i dont know, this sounds like lack of respect to me.
If it's ok for you to find out your s/o is talking smack like this about you, then have fun with that.
I choose to not be treated like an a-hole.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
The problem is the following:
It kind of sabatoges the person to whoever they are being bashed to.
If a guy or gal starts talking trash to friends about someone they are dating, it creates problems in social situations. The partner never gets a fair chance to represent themself.
Actual blood related brothers talking is waaaaaaay different than 'bros' talking.
You can vent and BS with guys that share your last name.
But 'bros'.... totally different.

I can see why you are a little confused here. Don't mix up brothers venting with 'bros' venting. Does it happen, sure. But it isn't and shouldn't be the same.
I am not confused. I understand both sides. I have a lot of male friends too and I am more inclined to think along the same lines.

Like I said, it's not a problem as long as the behavior isn't transferred over into the relationship.

To be honest, I could care less what my bf's guy friends think of me. I don't really care how I am represented to them-to be honest, if I am represented poorly, it's probably true. I find women tend to over exaggerate a good or bad relationship to female friends.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
If you are talking about the misc and relationship forums of bodybuilding.com you can take everything there with a grain of salt. It is an inside cultural thing.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
Quote:
i dont know, this sounds like lack of respect to me.
If it's ok for you to find out your s/o is talking smack like this about you, then have fun with that.
I choose to not be treated like an a-hole.

As someone stated it depends on what it is. And the context. Is she saying ughhh my bf/husband can be so lazy sometimes or girl men can be so stupid, my bf still can't figure out how to load clothes in the washing machine. You can't take that stuff personally. Now if she said she was using me or talking about how bad in bed I was, then of course if I found out about it, she would have to go. Now as to what the OP was talking about, I think those were just guys just talking about women they don't even have. Men and women do that kind of that stuff, and you just can't take it personally. Many times when a group of people get together in any kind of forum, they will talk a bunch of crap just for the sake of talking crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships