Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 03:19 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,549,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason34 View Post
Despite this, though, I can't help but worry about our age difference...It feels nonexistent now, but I worry that It'll be evident in the future...At times I think that 6 years is such a small age gap and that my worries are incredibly immature and nonsensical. But at times I feel that our 6 year age difference is something to worry about, maybe not now, but in the future...

I am deeply in love with this girl, and I've never been so physically and emotionally attracted to someone before. I'm about to ask her for marriage, but I can't get rid of the nagging thought that she's older than me.

Am I crazy? Is a 6 year age difference really that big of a deal among adults?

tl;dr: I'm about to ask my beautiful girlfriend to marry me, but lately I can't get over the fact that she's 6 years older than me. Are my concerns unjustified?
dude, i'm going to tell it to you straight: you have cold feet and you are looking for excuses not to get married.

if you going to let her go because of a six year age difference, everyone is going to think you are a tool for doing that because it's not be fricken deal, and she is going to think you're a tool for not getting married for that reason and you have then essentially given her the opportunity to cut her loses when you couldn't man up and commit.

many may disagree, but i've been through cold feet, a couple of times, so i know the stupid things guys think about that "glares' incompatibility. this one is a stupid one, and i dont mean to be offensive to you, just tell her you aren't ready to get married, or tell her you're not sure you'll ever be ready (and let her go). It's you, not her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 05:02 AM

7 posts, read 8,136 times
I'm sorry for being blunt, but you're a fool. A 6 year age gap is NOTHING. Marry this great woman all ready!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,744,496 times
You have the life experience and emotional vision of a person your age and you can't imagine how a well-adjusted 60, 70, 80 year old man who has been married to a woman whom he has always loved deeply for, say, 20 - 40 - 50 years thinks or feels about this woman.

First of all, as you age, you will notice no change in the mirror, just in photos. I believe in the mirror. Second, you will still see in the woman's face and body the beauty that attracted you long you ago. Your eyes are your mirror. Third, you will still be having fabulous sex, better than you are today because you have learned not only how to satisfy each other, but also in new ways that keep popping up when most unexpected.

You can't imagine this, I know. But it's true.

So, pop back to the present. Is this the woman you want today? If the answer is yes, now, and you live your lives together so it will always be yes (disagreements not included until you work them out), this is your future. (Besides, the best predictor of tomorrow is always today).

Marry her. Live in the present. The future will be glorious beyond your wildest expectations.

This is not bullsh_t and it's not hard to do, either.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 AM

894 posts, read 2,318,631 times
Age is only a number. It sounds like you're the same age on an emotional level, and that's what matters most. My wife is older than me, and while it's been thought about, we're really very evenly matched and any thoughts about age disappear. Don't pass up an opportunity to be happy! Especially over something that doesn't matter. 6 years is not much of a difference anyway.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 AM

37,664 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason34 View Post

Am I crazy? Is a 6 year age difference really that big of a deal among adults?
Yes. Let her go so that she can find a sane man.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,778,061 times
The very title you chose for your thread says it all - "I Love my girlfriend, but I can't get over our trivial age difference".

If you haven't "got over it" in five years and still can't, it's not going to miraculously disappear. She's going to be 6 years older than you all the way down the line. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Your concerns are justified because you have them. Don't propose marriage until you get over it and, if you can't, move on.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,703,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes. Let her go so that she can find a sane man.

Let me fix that:

Yes. Let her go so that she can find a mature and sane man.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 AM

415 posts, read 600,479 times
Hey OP, when you say she's immature, what do you mean? Give us more details on the chick's personality, please.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 8,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
dude, i'm going to tell it to you straight: you have cold feet and you are looking for excuses not to get married.

if you going to let her go because of a six year age difference, everyone is going to think you are a tool for doing that because it's not be fricken deal, and she is going to think you're a tool for not getting married for that reason and you have then essentially given her the opportunity to cut her loses when you couldn't man up and commit.

many may disagree, but i've been through cold feet, a couple of times, so i know the stupid things guys think about that "glares' incompatibility. this one is a stupid one, and i dont mean to be offensive to you, just tell her you aren't ready to get married, or tell her you're not sure you'll ever be ready (and let her go). It's you, not her.
Agreed. Sounds to me like he's just getting cold feet and is inventing an excuse. OP, you're getting hung up on something really ridiculous...

Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,681,385 times
If you're ever worried about age difference, it's not going to work. (I've never seen it work if a person is worried)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships