Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I couldn't tell you, but they're usually in a bad mood. It's not like I don't know guys that are jerks to their wives as well, but for the most part the majority of the guys I know are always in the doghouse.
That's crap!

They are in a "dog house" cause they WANT to be. I assure you she doesn't make him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
OP, you aren't understanding because you're not there. Those guys probably don't want to be bothered with some of the decision making and follow through that a family needs to do. So they have input but ultimately take a backseat on purpose so that their lives are easier, which makes it seem like the wife calls the shots. I guess in those cases, she actually does call the shots, but there is a huge load of responsibility in that that the husbands would rather not take on.

Think of it like this - a business owner who is always on, alsways has to think abotu the good of his/her employees and how to make things better and grow, etc. Vs. a worker who's responsibility is to come to work, do his/her job, and go home at the end of the day. It's much easier and less stressfull to be a simple worker. I'm sure if the husband wanted to step up and take on more responsibility the wife would be more than happy to let it go. But he doesn't, and the wife has expectations and if the husband doesn't fullfill them, he gets in trouble. So step up or take it - that's how it works today.

I personally am wishy washy about it. I want to simplify my life so sometimes I take it, but I also can only take so much and when I reach my limit I step up and take on responsibility.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
That's crap!

They are in a "dog house" cause they WANT to be. I assure you she doesn't make him.
Exactly. They'd rather be in the doghouse than step up. Their choice.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
That's crap!

Meh, I think a lot of these guys would find themselves single if they retaliated. I since they're more stuck than anything because of their kids.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Quote:
Meh, I think a lot of these guys would find themselves single if they retaliated. I since they're more stuck than anything because of their kids.
Probably knew that going in. Just as much their fault for marrying and knocking up a woman like that.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
I think it's telling that you think stepping up in a relationship means retaliation of some sort. If these guys were good communicators and did what needs to be done in their relationships, retaliation wouldn't be necessary. It's that stereotype that women are all nags. If the guy has responsibilities and he hasn't taken care of them, asking him about it isn't nagging.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
OP, you aren't understanding because you're not there. Those guys probably don't want to be bothered with some of the decision making and follow through that a family needs to do. So they have input but ultimately take a backseat on purpose so that their lives are easier, which makes it seem like the wife calls the shots. I guess in those cases, she actually does call the shots, but there is a huge load of responsibility in that that the husbands would rather not take on.

Think of it like this - a business owner who is always on, alsways has to think abotu the good of his/her employees and how to make things better and grow, etc. Vs. a worker who's responsibility is to come to work, do his/her job, and go home at the end of the day. It's much easier and less stressfull to be a simple worker. I'm sure if the husband wanted to step up and take on more responsibility the wife would be more than happy to let it go. But he doesn't, and the wife has expectations and if the husband doesn't fullfill them, he gets in trouble. So step up or take it - that's how it works today.

I personally am wishy washy about it. I want to simplify my life so sometimes I take it, but I also can only take so much and when I reach my limit I step up and take on responsibility.
You make some good points! In a marriage, you should be pulling your own weight, you shouldn't need to be told by your spouse what you need to do. Your spouse is not your parent, and you are a grown adult that should be aware of and willing to do what it takes to contribute to the running of a marriage/household/family. Taking the easy way out and being lazy are not quality traits that contribute to a healthy relationship.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
In my marriage, I did. The man I married couldn't make simple decisions. Even when I was upset at something he did, he literally, would stare at his shoes like a child. If I wanted to discuss something, he couldn't talk and if he did, all he knew how to do was get angry about other things (lashing out). He wasn't like this in the beginning, but I suppose my strong personality wore his weak one down (it had nothing to do with controlling him). And well, it's why I left. I had no respect for him as a man. He wasn't a man. He was a weak, pathetic, being (I wouldn't say a child, but some kids have bigger you know what than he did).

And sadly, when I see men in situations like that, I just think they're weak. It's one thing not to rock the boat, but it's another to take that kind of disrespect. Yes, after awhile, I was disrespectful. Did I care? Nope, because he was weak and I was tired of having to mother him and do everything. It was pathetic.

I've never met nor been with anyone like that before. Age really doesn't matter. I think it's all about personality and what they're willing to do to "keep the peace". Some men are fine being a doormat and being walked all over to keep their family together. Some aren't.

Obviously, I will never be with someone so weak again. I need me a man. A real man. A man who will stand up for himself. Oh wait. I did meet that man. It's nice not having to think for someone else, because he can do it himself. Yay.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Im very respectful and acquiescent towards my SO, BUT when push comes to shove, she better recognize,

and Respect my authoritah!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think it's telling that you think stepping up in a relationship means retaliation of some sort. If these guys were good communicators and did what needs to be done in their relationships, retaliation wouldn't be necessary. It's that stereotype that women are all nags. If the guy has responsibilities and he hasn't taken care of them, asking him about it isn't nagging.
I have 'stepped up' three times in the last 12-ish months, and I've become single each time.
It wasn't about nagging, it was about me doing what is best for me at the time. And all three times, the other person felt that their needs were being neglected. Me not bein a doormat has basically ended those 3 relatitionships. I don't regret stepping up any of those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships