Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,689,444 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this is short and sweet. I have been married for 24 years. My wife is a Sr. V.P. in the company she has worked for since 2000. Lately she has noticed a change in her boss and there seems to be a power struggle behind the scenes to gain more power between the other Sr. V.P.'s in the company. She sensed the writing on the wall and has since put out her resume to start to look elsewhere just in case. In having an honest discussion with her I said that I had no problem covering the financial aspect of her possibly being out of work for as long as it took, but emotionally I don't know what to do. What I meant by that statement was that I felt that no matter what I would try to say or do I will get the "You were not there from me when I needed you the most" woman who cried wolf statement. I say this because in the past when we have gone through difficult times and I've been there for her she manages to find one (very small or insignificant event) that occurred where I didn't do something EXACTLY the way she wanted me to do it. Now mind you this is AFTER she has told me I WAS supportive during that difficult time (usually when things are going ok). I usually get the criticism when she's upset, and that praise for being supportive turns into I left her out in the cold when she needed me the most. So in predicting that this might happen in this situation I had this honest discussion with her and now she feels like SURPRISE if she loses her job she is on her own emotionally. I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times
You really didn't think about what you said. Let me lay it out for you:

1) She is dealing with major uncertainty in her professional life.

2) When she came to you with this problem, she wanted your support, come what may. That's it. Instead of being her rock at a very stressful time, you kicked the props out from under her assumption that, at the very least, you two are a team. Rather than simply saying, "Sweetie, I've got your back and we'll get through this," you decided to dredge up some old grievance. Trust me. That's something she just didn't need to hear.

If this is typical of how you handled matters, I'm thinking that there's likely merit to her past beefs with you. You just don't seem to be perceptive enough to realize it.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
In having an honest discussion with her I said that I had no problem covering the financial aspect of her possibly being out of work for as long as it took, but emotionally I don't know what to do.

being honest is one thing, being forthright about criticisms of her (at a very bad time) is another.

plus, having her husband (who is a grown ass man) say "emotionally I don't know what to do" has to be embarrassing for her.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,848 times
Does she have abandonment issues or issues in the past where her parents might not have supported her? It sounds very much like there's some baggage there. Is there an income disparity there? In households where women make more, there is a tendency for the relationship to end. That's usually brought about by the female partner. Have you two tried some therapy.

You shouldn't be cast out for expressing how you feel. There are some issues going on there that you both have to deal with though I'd wait until the job situation is sorted out.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
You shouldn't be cast out for expressing how you feel.
what should happen is irrelevant. we don't live in a perfect world. we live in a world where men are expected to act a certain way, and there are negative consequences if we don't.

refraining from criticizing your wife when she's looking for help , for instance, is a pretty basic expectation.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
You shouldn't be cast out for expressing how you feel. There are some issues going on there that you both have to deal with though I'd wait until the job situation is sorted out.

Hey, I'm all about honesty and communication, so I would agree with you. But there is a time and a place for those kind of discussions. Introducing this kind of discussion when she's already redlining about losing her high-profile job is absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt not one of those times.

Timing is everything. The OP just seems to have a lousy sense of it.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:38 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,357,160 times
Sounds like your wife is a very emotional person who cant handle stress very well.

Hopefully, she doesn't lose her job; for your sake, and hers.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM

11,802 posts, read 12,045,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hey, I'm all about honesty and communication, so I would agree with you. But there is a time and a place for those kind of discussions. Introducing this kind of discussion when she's already redlining about losing her high-profile job is absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt not one of those times.

Timing is everything. The OP just seems to have a lousy sense of it.
^^This.

He took her situation and feelings and made it about his own feelings. That's not the way to be supportive.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,689,444 times
Ok I agree. How should I fix it without making things worse?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:22 AM

415 posts, read 600,143 times
I disagree with the others OP. You did the right thing by being honest. You truly felt skeptical about helping her. Why lie or pretend as if you don't? You've been burned in the past by her behavior. That's why you brought it up. If you can't bring it up now, when can you bring it up?

There's no way to fix it. It sounds like this woman is the type who doesn't like to claim responsibility for her own actions. No wonder she's losing her job. If she was a good worker then she wouldn't lose her job so easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships