Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM

41 posts, read 84,507 times

Advertisements

Walking in a mall with him holding hands, a colleague of mine came by said hi to me, he immediately dropped my hand. After a few hours I decided to tell him I didnt like his reaction he was like oh I am sorry but his ex always did that to him so he was trained to do that. He said less drama in that way, and he said in a joking way that "Well I dont want your colleague to think that you are dating a big guy and he looks scary."

I am not fine with it, thinking of moving on. What do you guys think? Is it disrespectful or am I just overreacting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:29 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
Walking in a mall with him holding hands, a colleague of mine came by said hi to me, he immediately dropped my hand. After a few hours I decided to tell him I didnt like his reaction he was like oh I am sorry but his ex always did that to him so he was trained to do that. He said less drama in that way, and he said in a joking way that "Well I dont want your colleague to think that you are dating a big guy and he looks scary."

I am not fine with it, thinking of moving on. What do you guys think? Is it disrespectful or am I just overreacting.
He gave you an explanation, and I don't think he has been disrespectful to you on purpose. I understand that you are hurt and felt insulted, but seriously, listen to this guy's words. "I don't want your colleague to think that you are dating a big guy and he looks scary." I believe him when he said his ex did that to him all the time.

Reassure him that he is loved and you like big guys. Screw the vindictive, disrespectful, b*tchy ex, he is with you now. I guarantee you that he would feel much more comfortable with you.

Give the poor guy a chance.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,545,687 times
Quote:
Walking in a mall with him holding hands, a colleague of mine came by said hi to me, he immediately dropped my hand. After a few hours I decided to tell him I didnt like his reaction he was like oh I am sorry but his ex always did that to him so he was trained to do that, He said less drama in that way, and he said in a joking way that "Well I dont want your colleague to think that you are dating a big guy and he looks scary."

it's forgivable but his explanation is worthy of review: OWNED!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
I didnt like his reaction he was like oh I am sorry but his ex always did that to him so he was trained to do that
i don't know what you're talking about, but i'd be wary of any man who refers to his ex as having "Trained" him.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I think it's strange that you insist he hold your hand or find it disrespectful if he doesn't want to for whatever reason. I think it's even stranger that you're considering ditching a guy over not holding your hand at the mall.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,063 times
Yeah, drop him. You're too picky over a minor incident to be relationship material.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
You're not only over reacting, you are making a proverbial mountain out of a grain of sand. I don't see the issue at all. Granted, you did and you asked for an explanation adn he gave you a very reasonable one.

Please have him come to these forums. I have some advice for him, too. I think you are being controlling, bitchy and he should probably move on.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 AM

167 posts, read 164,037 times
You are way over reacting.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
You told him how you felt, see if he changes before simply moving on.

Some people are okay iwth PDA in public, some aren't. By default and out of respect, I refrain, unless person I'm with says otherwise.

I feel awkward with any PDA (hold hands or a kiss goodbye for example) in front of a gf's parents, unless she says it's okay and not a big deal. This has nothing to do with how I feel about my gf or being ashamed, it's just a respect issue. See if he changes first.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think it's strange that you insist he hold your hand or find it disrespectful if he doesn't want to for whatever reason. I think it's even stranger that you're considering ditching a guy over not holding your hand at the mall.
This. Holding hands for the sake of companionship and fun is great. Using it as a way to control somebody is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships