Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times

Advertisements

It depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 02:03 PM

29 posts, read 28,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It depends.
I would say it depends on the level of friendship but if I call someone a friend, it's always a close friend.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,617,505 times
It depends on how much I like her.
It depends on who liked her first.
It depends on what kind of friend we're talking about. (If he's looking for a piece of a$s..Or is he a relationship type)
It depends on what kind of friend he is to me. (Is he only liking her because I do and sees it as a competition?)

It depends.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,461,630 times
i wouldn't be giving up anything...there are two people deciding what happens in the end, not just me. the girl isn't just there to be a possession to take ownership of, she actually has a say in what she wants to happen as well.

if someone i was good friends with was interested in the same girl, all i would have to say is "sorry" and continue on with my life. it isn't stopping just because we both fancy the same lass

Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,155,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonGuy View Post
This has happened to me a few times. It doesn't make a difference because I wouldn't do anything about it anyway but I was just wondering.

If you noticed that a friend of yours was interested in the same woman as you, would you give up on her because of him?

I think friendship should come above everything.
I would let her decide who she wanted to be with, although me and my friends have never gone after the same girls.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,014,164 times
Shouldn't the third party have a say in this? What if she likes you and not your friend? Why would you give up on the chance that you could be a good match?

Old 10-01-2013, 03:15 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,962,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Shouldn't the third party have a say in this? What if she likes you and not your friend? Why would you give up on the chance that you could be a good match?
No, not really.
The OP is referring to situations in which two friends are interested in the same person, and one friend will not pursue the the other person out of respect or whatever reason of their friend.

it is very typical behavior of guys aged 14-20ish when they still have the 'bro' mentality. As I said before though, most guys don' actually follow this consistently, they sell the concept to naive guys and then when they know a naive guy will defer interest in a woman 'cause we're bro's', they use such ideals agaisnt the naive guys.
The more naive the guy is, the longer he remains 'bros' with these guys/salemen.

If the woman likes the naive guy, and she pursues him, then often the two guys wind up 'competing' for the person of interest. Often times, guys wind up fighting or backtabbing, cause as I said, it is a theory often sold, but seldom consistently executed. It is probably the easiest way for two guys to find out if they are true friends, or friends of convenience. A true friend steps aside and lets 2 people interested in each other have a chance. But the playa playa's step in and try to get theirs, regardless of what the friend, or woman wants. 'She wants me, she just doen't know it yet.' ahh, the mentality of teenagers/cavemen.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:18 PM

29 posts, read 28,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I would stay aside regardless of what she thought (even if she liked me, which is doubtful).

Old 10-01-2013, 05:32 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,617,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonGuy View Post
I would stay aside regardless of what she thought (even if she liked me, which is doubtful).

Sounds like something a wimp would say.

Why would step aside and not expect your friend to do the same. And why would it be doubtful that she liked you? Because you carry yourself with low self-esteem?

If you're walking thru life saying things like "I like her, but I doubt she likes me."..Then of course you would step aside, not because you are a good friend, but because you don't got the stones to go after her.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:40 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,003,139 times
Probably. More because I am allergic to competition in romance, than because of ideals.

(I am very idealistic about ethics, but somehow this question is not triggering that in me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships