Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,207,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes to everything, especially the tedium. I don't mind honest and respectful dialog, but unfortunately that is rare.
I confess that I think the vast majority of people who cite these "people" are making things up that have entered their consciousness through the ether and have no experience whatsoever to call upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM

39,263 posts, read 27,666,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I can honestly say this is one of the most offensive things I have ever seen written. Who the heck are you to tell someone else that their experience is incorrect because it differs than yours. It makes me sick to my stomach to be told on boards such as this one that their is something wrong with me when the same boards are full of shriveled old crones complaining about their husbands and men complaining that they never get any from their wives. The whole lot of you just a bunch of miserable wretches. The divorce rate as bad as ever. Cheating practically an assumed part of any relationship.

But no, people with my sort of lifestyle must be secretly unhappy because our hearts and bodies are not guarded like Fort Knox. I am sick for my poor children's place in this world.
Don't tell me you are offended because I don't care.

My brother in law has suggested open relationship with my sister. That is the only way she can keep him, that is what he told her.

If he wants to screw other women, go right ahead, but don't pretend that he is a married man. That is not marriage is all about.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:51 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,482,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If everyone is seeking the same thing ( which i very much doubt ) as we all have different personalities/ pasts/values/upbringings/beliefs/coping mechanisms/emotional needs/views.

So it is logical. if nothing else, that to put all these differences into one brand of love is simply unsustainable.
And reading through, it would seem the cracks are already showing for some of them.

People change, situations change, some fall out of love, there is an element of not being accountable within this style of open love, which i guess for some gives an illusion of freedom from hurt and if you have been emotionally hurt you might be more drawn to this style because it protects you from intimacy, like a child really.
Is it really necessary to be insulting when you don't know me or most others who actually don't have the issues you're implying we all must have? Does it make you feel secure and superior to do so?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I can honestly say this is one of the most offensive things I have ever seen written. Who the heck are you to tell someone else that their experience is incorrect because it differs than yours. It makes me sick to my stomach to be told on boards such as this one that their is something wrong with me when the same boards are full of shriveled old crones complaining about their husbands and men complaining that they never get any from their wives. The whole lot of you just a bunch of miserable wretches. The divorce rate as bad as ever. Cheating practically an assumed part of any relationship.

But no, people with my sort of lifestyle must be secretly unhappy because our hearts and bodies are not guarded like Fort Knox. I am sick for my poor children's place in this world.
really? you can honestly say this is one of the most offensive things you have ever seen written?

How about this? My sister is a woman in her late 30s, been married for many years. She is a quiet, nice, charming lady with a lot of dreams

Her husband screwed many women behind her back and has OPENLY suggested OPEN relationship. My sister is battling with depression, severe kind, many times, she tried suicide.

Her husband told her in her face that the other women he slept with are much more open with their sexuality. She should try open relationship herself. He can only stay in the marriage if she allows her to have sex with many different women.

Yet, you found my post to be offensive? amazing.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Is it really necessary to be insulting when you don't know me or most others who actually don't have the issues you're implying we all must have? Does it make you feel secure and superior to do so?
How am I insulting you?

are you married?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Don't tell me you are offended because I don't care.

My brother in law has suggested open relationship with my sister. That is the only way she can keep him, that is what he told her.
JJ this is another one about communication. Because THAT is "responsible" non-monogamy.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,742,740 times
Quote:
I confess that I think the vast majority of people who cite these "people" are making things up that have entered their consciousness through the ether and have no experience whatsoever to call upon.
Not to mention that a few of the sainted regulars have let slip that they are still in marriages where someone was unfaithful. They believe what they want to believe, that's all.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not to mention that a few of the sainted regulars have let slip that they are still in marriages where someone was unfaithful. They believe what they want to believe, that's all.
But they have REASONS, dontcha know.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:07 AM

31,078 posts, read 22,139,308 times
Quote:
No surprise, since that is what our society as a whole reinforces. I shared the same view until recently, until I realized I don't have the personal experience to make that judgment on someone else. No different from Homosexuality, it was viewed as gross and abnormal by the majority in our society until recently. The few people I know that have some sort of unconventional relationship don't seem to have it any worse and perhaps have it better than my relationship history.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
People change, situations change, some fall out of love, there is an element of not being accountable within this style of open love,
Where do you get this stuff? This is the exact opposite of what anyone who has actually lived within any responsible non-monogamous lifestyle espouses. This OP is not asking about how to go about successfully cheat in a decietful manner, yet you insist that is the equivalent of the information being sought. While it is true that some people cheat, lie, cajole and are otherwise be a DB. But that does not mean that those DBs define the lifestyle.

Quote:
which i guess for some gives an illusion of freedom from hurt and if you have been emotionally hurt you might be more drawn to this style because it protects you from intimacy, like a child really.
There is NO freedom from hurt. For us, hurt definitely happened as part of the journey. As with parenting. Hurt definitely happens as a parent. Spouse. GF. Sister. Friend.

Growth happens. In the context of love and honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships