Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2023, 11:31 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, OK, but:

1. Bathroom looks like it belongs in Elon's house
2. Fish is a 1500 lb marlin. It's his boat too.
3 Car is a Veyron, a Superbird, an Enzo, a F40, etc.
4 Ditto, but from the interior you have to know cars to know what this means.
5 He's having a brew with Jay Leno in his garage. Just two guys. He's the one who is not Jay.
6 Picture with kids. OK that's tougher. Me with some of my interns, but you would not know they are special just looking at pictures of them.
If you are that prosperous, then you really should have a better social life, and using dating apps is absurd. Splashing advertisement of personal wealth around and then fishing for strangers to invite into your life in any capacity, is like begging to get taken advantage of or robbed. Someone with enough wealth to matter, ought to know better.

Also?

Does the toilet occasionally burst into flame?

I would instantly reject this profile. He's likely lying, and if he's not, he's involved in sketchy stuff at worst or he's insufferably frivolous at best. I'm not impressed by boats or cars, and I don't want a partner who is into spending large sums of money on something like that. Substance over dazzle, please.

5 He's having a brew with Jay Leno in his garage. Just two guys. He's the one who is not Jay.

I feel towards Jay Leno, approximately the same way I felt towards Johnny Depp when he did the Willy Wonka remake. You cannot replace perfection and I'm annoyed with you for even trying. Also, I know some celebrities and I'm not impressed by celebrities any more than ostentatious displays of wealth. They are just people. Some are interesting human beings and some of them are jerks. Just like any people. And photos of a guy drinking would put me off because I dislike alcohol.

6 Picture with kids. OK that's tougher. Me with some of my interns, but you would not know they are special just looking at pictures of them.

Somehow you managed to try and filter even the ones that were obviously about women's profiles, through a strange lens of some kind of narrative agenda. It's pretty odd. I obviously was not talking about interns. I think it's bad form to put photos that include one's kids on dating sites. I feel it can put them at risk if creeps decide to try and date you to get into proximity of them. I also do not like child beauty pageants or even having a public social media profile and sharing images of your kids. (It's a bit better if it's private and your friends are just family and known people in your life that you trust.)

I am a sensible, practical person, and a successful woman all by myself. My husband is my husband because he shares my core values. I passed over younger, taller, hotter and richer (at least at that time, maybe not now) men than he was when we met...and I would do it again.

But I'm sure that the profile you describe could get some kind of Kardashian wannabe looking for a man to buy her fake boobs and ugly overpriced brand name purses and painful, useless shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 11:54 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, OK, but:

But that still goes back to the idea that women are all dazzled by men who flash money around and flaunt their celebrity connections. Some women, sure, but plenty of us would absolutely swipe left on that drama. I'm more interested in the guy who's comfortable in his own skin, and doesn't feel the need to show off. Maybe he drives a 10-year-old Camry and doesn't expect me to to know what an Enzo is or be impressed by that.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:38 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,223,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
If you are that prosperous, then you really should have a better social life, and using dating apps is absurd. Splashing advertisement of personal wealth around and then fishing for strangers to invite into your life in any capacity, is like begging to get taken advantage of or robbed. Someone with enough wealth to matter, ought to know better.

Also?

Does the toilet occasionally burst into flame?

I would instantly reject this profile. He's likely lying, and if he's not, he's involved in sketchy stuff at worst or he's insufferably frivolous at best. I'm not impressed by boats or cars, and I don't want a partner who is into spending large sums of money on something like that. Substance over dazzle, please.

I feel towards Jay Leno, approximately the same way I felt towards Johnny Depp when he did the Willy Wonka remake. You cannot replace perfection and I'm annoyed with you for even trying. Also, I know some celebrities and I'm not impressed by celebrities any more than ostentatious displays of wealth. They are just people. Some are interesting human beings and some of them are jerks. Just like any people. And photos of a guy drinking would put me off because I dislike alcohol.

Somehow you managed to try and filter even the ones that were obviously about women's profiles, through a strange lens of some kind of narrative agenda. It's pretty odd. I obviously was not talking about interns. I think it's bad form to put photos that include one's kids on dating sites. I feel it can put them at risk if creeps decide to try and date you to get into proximity of them. I also do not like child beauty pageants or even having a public social media profile and sharing images of your kids. (It's a bit better if it's private and your friends are just family and known people in your life that you trust.)

I am a sensible, practical person, and a successful woman all by myself. My husband is my husband because he shares my core values. I passed over younger, taller, hotter and richer (at least at that time, maybe not now) men than he was when we met...and I would do it again.

But I'm sure that the profile you describe could get some kind of Kardashian wannabe looking for a man to buy her fake boobs and ugly overpriced brand name purses and painful, useless shoes.
All the rules people have about profile pictures all these things are people you won't talk to why do you even bother online dating if you can't stand to look at a picture of somebody what are you doing there?

It's just a picture why is whether or not someone takes proper photographs a deal breaker for you?

Old 10-20-2023, 01:42 PM

I think then that complain about gold diggers don't like being used.

Old 10-20-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
All the rules people have about profile pictures all these things are people you won't talk to why do you even bother online dating if you can't stand to look at a picture of somebody what are you doing there?

It's just a picture why is whether or not someone takes proper photographs a deal breaker for you?
Well at this point, I don't. I'm married.

When I did it was for all of a few months in 2015. It did not take long at all for me to get connected to a broader social group and drop off the one dating app I was using, which generated more funny stories about ridiculous people than it did decent dates.

Guess my point is that if the photos on that site were any indication, men don't necessarily know what women want. And women don't know what men want, either. It's a wonder the species does not go extinct, sometimes I think we're damn near as bad as the pandas.

Old 10-20-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:

When I did it was for all of a few months in 2015. It did not take long at all for me to get connected to a broader social group and drop off the one dating app I was using, which generated more funny stories about ridiculous people than it did decent dates.

Guess my point is that if the photos on that site were any indication, men don't necessarily know what women want. And women don't know what men want, either. It's a wonder the species does not go extinct, sometimes I think we're damn near as bad as the pandas.
Maybe there's a species we should quit focusing on what the other sex wants and just be ourselves. If someone doesn't like you because you take pictures of yourself doing your hobbies you know giving a little bit of knowledge about who you are then good riddance. If I was on these dating apps and I wanted to get to know women my first picture would be a picture of me holding a fish.

I don't want to be with people that wil pass me over because I have a life outside of service to them.

Old 10-20-2023, 02:36 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Maybe there's a species we should quit focusing on what the other sex wants and just be ourselves. If someone doesn't like you because you take pictures of yourself doing your hobbies you know giving a little bit of knowledge about who you are then good riddance. If I was on these dating apps and I wanted to get to know women my first picture would be a picture of me holding a fish.

I don't want to be with people that wil pass me over because I have a life outside of service to them.
I like to fish! I love to go out on the lake in a boat. Never understood what the big negative about having a fish in a picture was, so to each their own I guess.

Old 10-20-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I like to fish! I love to go out on the lake in a boat. Never understood what the big negative about having a fish in a picture was, so to each their own I guess.
I don't understand that either. I'm curious if it's that they don't find the person sexually attractive for other reasons and the fish pictures are just an excuse.

I'm betting if such a person who has such a thing about online dating comes across someone who checks all their boxes the fish picture isn't going to matter.

Someone mentioned that it's men not knowing what women want and that's completely insane to me. Because a man that or a woman that goes fishing might very well know what women or men want.

I guess when I use the apps I didn't read into things like this very deeply. Got some nice dates.

Old 10-20-2023, 03:04 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Quote:

Honestly I see nothing wrong with posting pictures of your car. I think sports cars are both totally impractical but also a lot of fun. I get why the people who love them, love them. There are certain men and certain women really into cars. When I was single there was a woman that posted a picture of her in her Viper, short skirt and heels and I thought all of the car guys are going to go nuts for her, but she will be the perfect girlfriend for these guys. If your girlfriend drives a Viper she isn't going to complain about you buying a Corvette, nor try to talk you into buying a Volvo because it is so much more practical.

I also think anything that might be an issue in a relationship, you should disclose and if you enjoy spending a lot of money on cars, and you know some women aren't going to approve because it's not practical, then it becomes all the more important to have the car picture in your profile so the women who really don't approve can opt out early in the dating process.

Old 10-20-2023, 03:08 PM

I think that the issue with the fish photos, was that:
1. they were so overdone they became a trope.
2. in many of them, it's hard to really see the person well, and if they don't have other pictures that show their face, it's just some guy in a hat and heavy jacket, holding a fish.

Mirror selfies in filthy rooms are most definitely worse. I saw both sexes doing those. Women with "sexy side pose" and men with "look at my abs" pictures. I mostly found the dating apps to be pretty silly, and had a much better time just socializing with people in real life and letting natural connections form in the real world.

I think an issue with dating apps for me at least, was that I had a very hard time evaluating based on what was on a profile, if I'd actually find a man appealing when we met in person. I went on dates with several men who seemed good on the site but when we met, were "nope." And later ended up marrying one that, if all I'd had to go on was the kind of stuff one would put on a dating profile, I would not have messaged him or anything. He does not show his best qualities to just anyone and everyone...it was best we got to know one another socially. The more I discovered about him, the more into him I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships