Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 04:55 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,250,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's good for you.

Most people are going to experience situations where they simply are not going to find someone attractive no matter how hard they squint. At best, they might find the person "tolerable." Personally, I would not want to be with someone who found me "tolerable" and overlooked my several physical flaws that would have been dealbreakers in the past because I have such a great personality.

There's no obligation to marry or even be in a relationship with someone so I've never really understood why people are so eager to advise people to relax their physical standards. As I said before, most people have already relaxed their standards quite a bit, and what you're essentially asking them to do is to go past their breaking point for the sake of having someone.
Maybe they just don't see physical appearance as the most important thing.

If it's just a hump and dump I don't know why you would.

For a relationship you would be more concerned about their appearance because you tend to look at them more with the lights on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 05:01 PM

32,186 posts, read 34,890,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Maybe they just don't see physical appearance as the most important thing.

If it's just a hump and dump I don't know why you would.

For a relationship you would be more concerned about their appearance because you tend to look at them more with the lights on.
Not finding someone attractive doesn't mean that you see physical appearance as the most important thing. That's like saying you find money to be the most important thing because you don't want to date someone grilling burgers.

Most people have thresholds for certain qualities that represent an absolute floor for them. They may not need 100K, but 40K is unacceptable. They may not need need a SI swimsuit model body, but a 36 inch waist is unacceptable, etc, etc. I think very few people see "looks as the most important thing."

For most people, there's a lot of room to operate in between the absolute pinnacle of human physical perfection and outright toad. This is how 99.9% of people end up in romantic relationships of some kind.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Not finding someone attractive doesn't mean that you see physical appearance as the most important thing.
I was specifically talking about physical appearance.
Quote:
That's like saying you find money to be most important thing because you don't want to date someone grilling burgers.
I'm beginning to understand why do many people are single these days.

I find this strange too what's wrong with grilling burgers it's honest work. I met my partner when he was a waiter. I had a couple people tell me not to get with him because of that. Always puzzled me.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I was specifically talking about physical appearance.
I know you were. My point was that people have limits for all types of things. And that's totally fine.

If someone doesn't want to date someone they don't find physically appealing, I don't consider that some type of moral failing or spiritual defect. It sounds like you might.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I'm beginning to understand why do many people are single these days.
I mean, this is one way to look at it.

Another way to look at is that people know what makes them happy and won't settle for less.

Gone are the days when grandpa/grandma stuck it out with someone they never really wanted to be with in the first place. The girl gramps truly wanted chose another man and the man granny wanted died in the war. So gramps and granny tied the knot at 22 because that's what everyone around them was telling them to do. "And they lived happily ever after."

What no one talks about is gramps being depressed and a drunk and cavorting with several mistresses around town. Or the milkman making extra long deliveries at the house when gramps was away at work. Of course, people know these things, but they don't bring them up during their golden anniversary party.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I know you were. My point was that people have limits for all types of things. And that's totally fine.
I guess I don't understand why you responded to me talking about something other than the point I made
Quote:
If someone doesn't want to date someone they don't find physically appealing, I don't consider that some type of moral failing or spiritual defect. It sounds like you might.
Well the post I was responding to was talking about people that were specifically hot. Physically appealing does it necessarily have to be hot.

I would see hot as nine and a half for 10 physically appealing you might fit five to seven.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I mean, this is one way to look at it.
Another way to look at is that people know what makes them happy and won't settle for less.[/quote]
If what someone does for a living has something to do with your happiness it's fleeting because that changes.
Quote:
Gone are the days when grandpa/grandma stuck it out with someone they never really wanted to be with in the first place. The girl gramps truly wanted chose another man and the man granny wanted died in the war. So gramps and granny tied the knot at 22 because that's what everyone around them was telling them to do. "And they lived happily ever after."

What no one talks about is gramps being depressed and a drunk and cavorting with several mistresses around town. Or the milkman making extra long deliveries at the house when gramps was away at work. Of course, people know these things, but they don't bring them up during their golden anniversary party.
Wow that's out of left field. I wasn't talking about getting together with someone you don't like that much. I was talking about choosing not to date someone over something as specifical as the job they do

When I met my partner he was a waiter that had no bearing on how attractive he was.

Old 10-26-2023, 03:12 PM

76 posts, read 61,724 times
Quote:
That's good for you.

Most people are going to experience situations where they simply are not going to find someone attractive no matter how hard they squint. At best, they might find the person "tolerable." Personally, I would not want to be with someone who found me "tolerable" and overlooked my several physical flaws that would have been dealbreakers in the past because I have such a great personality.

There's no obligation to marry or even be in a relationship with someone so I've never really understood why people are so eager to advise people to relax their physical standards. As I said before, most people have already relaxed their standards quite a bit, and what you're essentially asking them to do is to go past their breaking point for the sake of having someone.
This is a good perspective. What are people to do if they cannot get someone who they find more than just tolerabke in physical attraction?

Old 10-26-2023, 10:21 PM

8,798 posts, read 3,959,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
...expressing frustration at women obsessed with money, or are they really expressing envy of men who are more successful than they are?

I ask because a lot of complaints about "gold-digging" are tinged with a subtle suggestion that wealthy men are getting access to women they don't really deserve...
Those who complain about gold-diggers should stop using money as bait. If they have continual frustration in their lives re: opportunistic women (i.e. enough to regularly whine about), they’re (part of) the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
It's envy. If they could 'afford' those hot women they wouldn't be complaining about lavishing them with gifts.
Those who have wealth (and want to avoid gold-diggers) don’t lavish women they barely know (or just started dating) with gifts; it’s about getting to know someone and developing a friendship/relationship (or not). One’s thoughts and expectations relative to such can tell you a lot about them from the get-go (in either direction).

Old 10-27-2023, 09:27 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,896,996 times
Why would anyone want someone who can be bought? Low character and there’s always going to be someone with more money. Maybe it’s a control thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships