Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:08 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,966 times

Advertisements

Does a guy’s job matter in terms of perusing a long term relationship? I can’t see a woman dating a guy whose job is not respectable and that it has no future. Obviously a woman wants a man who (if decided to start a relationship) can financially support himself as well as her and a potential future family. Does a man’s bank account matter a lot less to woman than a guy’s ambition and drive? Should a job position necessarily affect a man’s love life? Is it OK for a man’s job defines him?

Woman wants to a see any indication that a guy wants more out of life other than working 80 hours a week. Just to fill the pockets of people that can care less about you. I would never give a company 80 hours a week of my time. Well if I had my own business that another story.

I spend 10 years of my life working a dead end retail job and done everything you can do in retail. I been to college before and what I pick was not the best idea, but that the past. My job was killing me drink every night it got to the point I was drinking 4/5 bottles Jameson Irish whiskey a week by myself. I feel like I am not successful at all. I'm constantly tortured by a sense of failure. I feel like I've failed in terms of what my potential is.

Sure I have a job, do not make much $19.00 an hour will not feed a family of 3, 4, 5, and so on. I have a car and my own place but just getting by the skin of my teeth. I do not do anything for fun because I cannot afford to do so. Also I do not have any close guy friends anymore they are all strung on drugs out and have not talk to them in 2 years or so. Making new friends is hard as one gets older most people I know from high school moved or have a family now.

Now that I am 30 no girl, no life, no friends, and still working a dead end job I decided to go all in give college another shot once more. I know what I want and what I have to do to get there. Will Smith said it best “There's no reason to have a plan B because it distracts from plan A.” The next ten years are going to be the best ten years of my life.

My main source of inspiration to become a nurse comes from an innate desire to help people and care for them in times of need. I am also a person who thrives on being challenged and I always have new goals to achieve, so nursing suits me as few other careers offer as much diversity and learning opportunities. I am a caring, empathetic, calm, patient, flexible, a good listener, and like to help people and empathetic .On top of that I pay attention to details and good at solving problems and finding solutions. I can move up into other jobs at the hospital and feel like I am working on something which is good for me.

As of late I have been giving up dating , friends , family , tv, Xbox ,drinking, partying, sports, working out , meeting new people, sleep , sex, going out , and everything I once enjoyed to get to my goals. Seeing that I only get 3 to 5 hours of sleep a night I know it is not good but I do not care .The desire to feel like I am not a loser drives me. I don't know if that's the healthiest thing—to be motivated by a fear of hating yourself, but it helps.

I still have a few still prerequisites to take to get in the program. I will get there one way or another. Even if that mean moving out of state to get to my goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
You have too much time on your hands my young friend

Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,198,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Does a guy’s job matter in terms of perusing a long term relationship?
Yes, but in terms of values, not income. For example, I'm a vegetarian, so I wouldn't date a butcher, rancher, or hog farmer.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,018 times
Depends.
Some people consider a 'professional' as part of a dating requirement.
Some don't care at all what you do. But it's probably a good idea to be satisfied with your career/income, and if you are not, either accept the situation or improve it for yourself.

Sounds like YOU are not happy. Most likely no one can make you happy except yourself.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Yes, but in terms of values, not income. For example, I'm a vegetarian, so I wouldn't date a butcher, rancher, or hog farmer.
I think what Lilac says is more about how a man's job could effect a relationship... not only what she said, but there are women out there who won't date cops (dangerous job) or military (dangerous job and long deployments).

I can't speak for all women, but personally, I've never give a thought about a man's job--what's important to me is that he enjoys doing it. the reason being, if he's working say 40 hours a day and hates it, that's going to negatively impact his personality. Who wants to date an angry, miserable, stressed out man? But if he loves his job or just enjoys it, well, then he's a happier, more fulfilled man who is more attractive to date.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I think what Lilac says is more about how a man's job could effect a relationship... not only what she said, but there are women out there who won't date cops (dangerous job) or military (dangerous job and long deployments).

I can't speak for all women, but personally, I've never give a thought about a man's job--what's important to me is that he enjoys doing it. the reason being, if he's working say 40 hours a day and hates it, that's going to negatively impact his personality. Who wants to date an angry, miserable, stressed out man? But if he loves his job or just enjoys it, well, then he's a happier, more fulfilled man who is more attractive to date.
Are you aware that at least 50% of people are dissatisfied with their job ?
Enjoying your line of work is a luxury. and in this economy, that is not an easy task. Just something to consider.

I agree with your post for the most part. But I would add that if someone is dissatisfied with their job, they need to leave 'work at work' so it dosnt sabotage their personal life. This is easier said than done however.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I completely agree! I don't go into a relationship hoping the guy has a great job so that I don't have to work someday. I think I'd always want to work, though if I had kids it would be more part-time for a while. But if either party in the relationship hates their job, then that essentially dooms the relationship. Work is one of the biggest aspects of our lives and hating it will make us depressed.

Also, did the OP mean "pursuing"? Not sure "perusing" works here.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Enjoying your line of work is a luxury. and in this economy, that is not an easy task. Just something to consider.

I agree with your post for the most part. But I would add that if someone is dissatisfied with their job, they need to leave 'work at work' so it dosnt sabotage their personal life. This is easier said than done however.
I would say higher than that.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:47 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post

That's a very good point! I didn't think about that. I suppose I am lucky in that most of the men I've met do seem to enjoy their work. So I am looking at it though those rose-colored glasses so to speak. Then again, I also live in an area that never really got hit by the economic meltdown (and we still have a low unemployment rate). But in other parts of the country, that's not necessarily true.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You have too much time on your hands my young friend
No I do not I wish I did .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships