Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

From what I've read, women are almost as likely to commit domestic violence against men. Do more research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
...when that clearly isn't the case?

Sure, some women get physically violent with their male partners. But male violence against women is a far more prevalent and serious a problem than the reverse.

Sure, some men are prudish and sex-negative. But it is far more common for women in relationships to set limits on sexual adventurousness.

Yet, one cannot mention male violence against women without someone yelling, "But it's not just men!" One cannot mention female inhibitions about sex without someone complaining, "But there are men like that, too!"

Maybe the problem is people cannot tell the difference between general statements (very often true) and categorical ones (always true). Whatever the reason, too many threads get bogged down by people pointing out piddling little exceptions to things that are true in the vast majority of cases. It is very frustrating...
You're wrong.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:01 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
For me, the issue is with people who think that ALL men are violent or ALL women don't like sex - when really, those people are in the minority.
I don't think there is a single sane person that thinks that. Not sure where you are getting that from.

OP, its political correctness and peoples inability to think outside the box and see what is in front of them. There are quite a few examples of statements that really irk me on CDR forums, usually coming from the female posters on CD. Examples:

"men do it too" - great, but off topic. No one ever claimed men don't.

"you haven't met every single woman on earth, so your argument doesn't exist" - no one ever has, it doesn't change the argument or make it any less legit.

I think its a defense mechanism of sorts. People who feel like perpetual victims, and have a hard time dealing with criticism of others, will do anything possible to take a thread off topic and eventually shut it down. I have seen it countless times and im sure ill see it many more.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But you see, I don't think that is what most people intend to say. I don't believe hardly anyone means ALL, ever.
Really? Read some posts by some of the guys on here. They seem to blame women as a whole why they cant get laid or find a gf. It's pathetic really. It's like they think "why cant women just like easy promiscuous sex"

When in actuality the end result is that its their OWN fault no one will sleep with them.

Don't think I'm some white night here. I have certain issues with some women. But theres many guys here who seem to blame women as a whole for their own shortcomings.. or.. shortcummings..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I don't think there is a single sane person that thinks that. Not sure where you are getting that from.
Did you miss the part where I said that I asked them? I asked them if they thought that all women were gold diggers - and they said yes. And like I also said - even if you don't believe that ALL men or ALL women do something bad - but believe that ALMOST ALL do - that's still absurd. For instance - saying that women are incapable of rational thinking - that's absurd.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Really? Read some posts by some of the guys on here. They seem to blame women as a whole why they cant get laid or find a gf. It's pathetic really. It's like they think "why cant women just like easy promiscuous sex"

When in actuality the end result is that its their OWN fault no one will sleep with them.

Don't think I'm some white night here. I have certain issues with some women. But theres many guys here who seem to blame women as a whole for their own shortcomings.. or.. shortcummings..

Agreed. There are also women that blame everything on men instead of themselves.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:51 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Agreed. There are also women that blame everything on men instead of themselves.
Yep. Goes both ways. People need to realize if something isn't working they need to make changes.

I forget who says it but "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results"

Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Did you miss the part where I said that I asked them? I asked them if they thought that all women were gold diggers - and they said yes. And like I also said - even if you don't believe that ALL men or ALL women do something bad - but believe that ALMOST ALL do - that's still absurd. For instance - saying that women are incapable of rational thinking - that's absurd.
I respect your opinion, but it remains only that. When someone says "women like masculine men", most adults can come to a conclusion that the person means "most women like masculine men, with some exceptions". Those things should be assumed, just like the fact that there isn't a single person that ever lived who has met every single human walking earth, there is no point in stating either. So when I say:

"Women like masculine men", a rational reply from someone who disagrees would be "women DO NOT like masculine men" or "women do like masculine men, but.... etc etc". However, CDR type conversation goes something like this:
ME: "Women like masculine men"
random female poster: "you haven't met every woman on earth, so we'll pretend your argument doesn't exist"

ME: "Women cant be truly happy aunless they can lie at least a little"
random female poster: "Men do it too".

Its a little bit like talking to a politically correct wall. Unless there is a compliment or something positive thrown your way, than rational discussion ensues. Bah...

Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I respect your opinion, but it remains only that. When someone says "women like masculine men", most adults can come to a conclusion that the person means "most women like masculine men, with some exceptions". Those things should be assumed, just like the fact that there isn't a single person that ever lived who has met every single human walking earth, there is no point in stating either. So when I say:

"Women like masculine men", a rational reply from someone who disagrees would be "women DO NOT like masculine men" or "women do like masculine men, but.... etc etc". However, CDR type conversation goes something like this:
ME: "Women like masculine men"
random female poster: "you haven't met every woman on earth, so we'll pretend your argument doesn't exist"

ME: "Women cant be truly happy aunless they can lie at least a little"
random female poster: "Men do it too".

Its a little bit like talking to a politically correct wall. Unless there is a compliment or something positive thrown your way, than rational discussion ensues. Bah...
Unless I'm mistaken - everything on here that people express is their opinion.

And here's my opinion - I don't really think that any good comes from saying negative blanket statements about anyone.

Do most women lie masculine men? Probably. I don't know. I know that I like masculine men. I also know that I have friends that have often had crushes on gay men and enter into relationships with slightly effeminate men. Now - why would I talk about the exceptions to the "rule" that you describe? Because I don't think that masculinity is something that people can necessarily control. I think it's more helpful to tell those that feel down about not being a manly man that there are women out there who will appreciate them as they are for who they are instead of telling them that women won't like them.

As for saying that women aren't happy unless they can lie at least a little bit - that's absurd. You have your opinion, I have mine. You think you speak the truth. I think you wouldn't know the truth if it bit you in the... But that's just my opinion. And as I know - you don't think women are capable of rational thought so my opinion doesn't count anyway - right?

Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
From purely a statistics perspective...

As much as I find it inaccurate and annoying when the "all men" and "all women" statements come flying out, it's equally silly to me when people assume every possibility is a 'coin flip.' By that I mean that just because there are two choices (ie, man and woman) that somehow the starting point for any argument or theory is 50-50.

Also, people misuse the word "most" a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships