Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,894 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure what to title this, so bear with me!

My BF and I work at the same company, and while we don't hide the fact we're dating, we're also not exactly very open about it either. We keep it fairly low key. Some people know, but we don't flaunt it or engage in PDAs or anything like that.

However, the disconnect between the way we behave at work and when away from the office is taking a bit of a toll on us, emotionally. Last week I was having a pretty rough day, and it was bothering him that he couldn't do what he would have done had we not been at work, to give me some emotional support and comfort.

I once worked with a woman whose husband also worked at the same company and they had a code word they'd work into conversations that basically meant anything from "I love you" to "I see you're having a bad day and wish I could hug you right now." I can't remember what the word was, but it was something silly, like "pig", which was shorthand for the rhyme "I love you little, I love you big, I love you like a little pig." (She told me about this years later, we never caught on.)

Anyone ever had anything like this with an SO, whether at work or in other social or public situations? Used a code word or a hand gesture to signify something like "I love you" or as a substitute for a hug? I'd be curious to hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
A wink did it for me with my ex. He was well known in my city and I went to social functions with him that I didn't really care for. He'd get dragged away and I would sit alone or get stuck with some uppity beasts who only wanted to talk about the size of their rings.

He would always take a second to catch my eye and wink to make my world feel right again.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:37 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,105 times

Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
He whispered in my ear a lot.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Can't you just go outside and hug on break?

Head for the stairwell?

Take a ride on the elevator??

My husband works 14 miles away from me in a separate building. I have to wait ALL DAY to get a hug.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:35 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,258 times
I like using morse code for maximum discretion. Preferably with a navy searchlight.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 21,213 times
"Olive Juice" We learned not to use that when in a pub though. I took a drink of my beer one time and it tasted odd. I asked the bartender why, and he replied, "You wanted olive juice in it." We had a big laugh.

When one of us felt frisky we would say, "We need to get the rugs vacuumed." That would usually result with a person saying how filthy their home was, which made it hilarious, since we were having "dirty" thoughts.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM

54 posts, read 78,336 times

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waNhD1Z23M8]Gran Torino End *Original* - YouTube[/url]

Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Can't you just go outside and hug on break?

Head for the stairwell?

Take a ride on the elevator??

My husband works 14 miles away from me in a separate building. I have to wait ALL DAY to get a hug.

Yeah, I worked with my husband in the past and when we needed a moment alone, we'd just go out to lunch together or take a break in the hallway/stairway and exchange a few private words. Even if it was just a matter of waiting at the other's desk until no one was in earshot and whispering "You okay?", we always managed.

That said, in today's day and age, why not just send a text message? It's discrete and you can say whatever you like - my husband and I used to do this sometimes too, even when we were sat right next to one another.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:25 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
A quick e-mail? A phone call? A text? A knowing look? A quick break outside? A trip to the break room? A meet at the water cooler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships