Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:51 AM

27 posts, read 36,431 times

Advertisements

It's supposed to say "Shorter" in the title. But I apparently forgot how to English.

Okay, so I've hung out with this one guy a couple times that I met at work. And he's really fun to talk to, and he makes me laugh a lot, which is one of the main factors for me. However, he's a couple inches shorter than me. And I've always tried to not be a very shallow person, and I really don't want this to bother me, but the problem is that I'm so insecure about myself. I'm 5' 7", so a lot of guys are shorter than me, especially ones that are interested in me for some reason.

And I'm about average human-shaped, a little more, but I think I'm considered diamond-shaped? So it still sorta spreads enough to look average-y. But I also have large hands for a girl, possibly due to genetics from my dad and also growing up playing the piano. So, the idea of being with him is just awkward to me because he's like, smaller, lol. And there are a lot of other body issues as well, so I'm just uncomfortable in my own skin. So, I was wondering, does anyone have experience with dating shorter guys? Or advice on how to overcome insecurities?

Last edited by StarshipU; 10-25-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
...adding fuel to the fire...

More reason for short men to bundle all women together and say we are shallow and won't date short men.

OP, people are imperfect. Sounds like you also recognize your imperfections, you should probably learn to accept them in others. That will come with age and maturity-you sound pretty young.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 AM

I am pretty young! 22, haha. And I understand that people are imperfect, and I'm not at all trying to bash on shorter people. Like I said, I honestly don't want this to be a problem for me, but I'm just really insecure about myself, and I don't know how to just accept these flaws. My own insecurities have also kept me from really dating at all, too. So, it's less about him being short and more about me wanting advice on how to overcome my insecurities.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:02 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipU View Post
I am pretty young! 22, haha. And I understand that people are imperfect, and I'm not at all trying to bash on shorter people. Like I said, I honestly don't want this to be a problem for me, but I'm just really insecure about myself, and I don't know how to just accept these flaws. My own insecurities have also kept me from really dating at all, too. So, it's less about him being short and more about me wanting advice on how to overcome my insecurities.
Advice, don't worry about dating anyone until you are confident in yourself.

Your insecurities will manifest themselves in really negative ways if you don't get them in check before entering a relationship.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM

428 posts, read 445,794 times
At 5' 7" you have nothing to worry about. Over 6' you might.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Advice, don't worry about dating anyone until you are confident in yourself.

Your insecurities will manifest themselves in really negative ways if you don't get them in check before entering a relationship.
I get that, which is why I'm asking HOW to become more confident in myself, lol. I don't really know a way of going about it. I think I'm becoming better than I was in the past, but still not quite there yet.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busse_Reeve View Post
Well, I still get guys that are shorter than me, so even if I'm not over 6', it still kind of presents as a problem to me because I'm self-conscious.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,405,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busse_Reeve View Post
Yeah, I agree. Tall chicks are doomed when it comes to men.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,999 times
A ""shorting"" guy. Is that what its called? If a man treats you well & you are average shaped like a diamond & not an hour glass you have to be realistic. You wont end up with a young Brad Pitt. Go for it. He might be kind etc.

At 80 everybody is wrinkled so at the end looks at 25 dont matter. We are all heading to that dreaded white hair & wrinkles.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipU View Post
Okay, so I've hung out with this one guy a couple times that I met at work. And he's really fun to talk to, and he makes me laugh a lot, which is one of the main factors for me. However, he's a couple inches shorter than me. And I've always tried to not be a very shallow person, and I really don't want this to bother me, but the problem is that I'm so insecure about myself. I'm 5' 7", so a lot of guys are shorter than me, especially ones that are interested in me for some reason.

And I'm about average human-shaped, a little more, but I think I'm considered diamond-shaped? So it still sorta spreads enough to look average-y. But I also have large hands for a girl, possibly due to genetics from my dad and also growing up playing the piano. So, the idea of being with him is just awkward to me because he's like, smaller, lol. And there are a lot of other body issues as well, so I'm just uncomfortable in my own skin. So, I was wondering, does anyone have experience with dating shorter guys? Or advice on how to overcome insecurities?
I am 5'7" myself. I just can't date anybody too short. 6'1" is perfect height for me.

Why do you feel insecure? You must have long legs. Man, I don't want to be short, that is for sure.

Just for the record, you are not SHALLOW just because you want your man to be tall. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships