Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 11,804 times

Advertisements

I've been dating a guy for about 4 months. We have a pretty good relationship. We talk on the phone daily, send cute little text messages, and go on a date about once or twice a week. There is just one thing that bothers me. I have never been to his home, and he has told me that he never mentioned me to any of his family. I thought that was odd, but he says that he just moves slow because he's asian(I'm african american) and also that he has a family living with him who attend his church. We talk on the phone while he's at home, but never from a home phone(he says he doesn't have one). We also don't usually talk on the phone after about 9(although we're usually asleep if not together). Other than that, I would say he's a good boyfriend. He's always there for me when I need him, very affectionate, and thoughful. I don't particularly want to meet his mom or anything, but I feel kind of offended that he has never invited me to his home, and I have mentioned this. Also, how do you date someone for months, and not even mention them to your family? I don't know, am I expecting too much or moving too fast? Also, I don't think it's a race issue, because he previously dated a black woman, who he did introduce to his mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 10:21 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Sounds weird to me.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Sounds like he's married!

Or seriously, not wanting to risk the wrath of living with his parents that wouldn't approve of him dating an african american?
(I've dated a korean before, they can be picky like that)

I would take it as a red flag after 4 months... something is a little disturbing that he won't let his world with you, mix with this world at home.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
^^^I dated a Vietnamese girl for a couple years. She wasn't racist at all, but her parents (came from Vietnam after the war) thought of black people as almost sub-human and had no qualms expressing it as well. According to my girlfriend, this seemed to be kind of normal in the older generation of Asians who were actually raised in Asia. I'm not trying to stereotype all Asians, that was just my experience.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Yeah somethings not right, thats for sure. I would confront him and get it out, he's hiding something.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,150 times
My arm chair opinion:

1. He's a serial dater who only introduces his family when he's sure.

2. It's the family that is staying with them from his church who have race issues.

3. He's married.

4. He's gay. (I know this is all I ever talk about. But hear me out. Family knows he's gay; he's trying to go straight. He's afraid of what they might say to you.)

5. Give it six months and if you have never seen where he lives...I would drop him...that is very very very suspicious.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieangelique View Post
I've been dating a guy for about 4 months. We have a pretty good relationship. We talk on the phone daily, send cute little text messages, and go on a date about once or twice a week. There is just one thing that bothers me. I have never been to his home, and he has told me that he never mentioned me to any of his family. I thought that was odd, but he says that he just moves slow because he's asian(I'm african american) and also that he has a family living with him who attend his church. We talk on the phone while he's at home, but never from a home phone(he says he doesn't have one). We also don't usually talk on the phone after about 9(although we're usually asleep if not together). Other than that, I would say he's a good boyfriend. He's always there for me when I need him, very affectionate, and thoughful. I don't particularly want to meet his mom or anything, but I feel kind of offended that he has never invited me to his home, and I have mentioned this. Also, how do you date someone for months, and not even mention them to your family? I don't know, am I expecting too much or moving too fast? Also, I don't think it's a race issue, because he previously dated a black woman, who he did introduce to his mom.
Hi....here are some of my views....

my son and his wife, own cell phones and not a home phone...and a lot of people are doing that, b/c it is cheaper and it fits their needs.

don't believe you can put a time limit on something like this, but I will say, if he is not being sensitive to your desire to go to his families home, then something may be amiss.

Have you asked him why?

and yeah, this would raise a flag with me. It seems very secrative? And maybe it's not, but if you discuss this with him and he fails to see your point of view, or understand your feelings, then I would hesitate to want to see him again?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
You didn't mention what type of Asian he was? Believe it or not that matters. We Asians (especially first generation Americans) typically have a very overbearing and traditional family where the parental units are more than likely racist and disapproving of anyone who is anything less than super attractive, intelligent, ivy-league college degree, and a 6 figure salary. I'm not exaggerating. I know my parents would blow the roof if I ever brought home a black boy.. heck, they're having qualms with my current boyfriend, who is hispanic but looks completely white. If he is Chinese/Korean, there is a high chance he just doesn't want to show you to his family because he's afraid their disapproval will cause drama and they'll try to rip you apart.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:38 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieangelique View Post
My guess is that his family does not want him to date an African American, and he has not told his family about you. His family would put a lot of pressure on him, and ultimately he might have to give into that pressure. If you want to get married, I would say, this is not the man for you, based on what you are saying.

It's sort of like dating another woman (lesbian) who has not come "out" to her family and community. Do you want to live life in the closet with them, or no?

greenie

Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
I agree with Fiddle - I have a feeling this guy is married, or very involved with another person!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships