Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 05:56 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,435,317 times

Advertisements

I only casually follow sports for social purposes,otherwise I don't usually watch. Women should consider it a plus when a man isn't more obsessed with sports than her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 08:02 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Women aren't really into things in the same way guys are.

I post on a guitar/music site and the talk is about guitars, but also topics like bands, and albums, from everything from Beatles to classic rock to metal, to alternative, and britpop, etc, etc.

There are literally thousands of guys who post there regularly and zero regular female posters.

Women will go to concerts, but guys can talk about it endlessly...

There's been a gap in the way men and women are 'trained' but it's closing with more recent generations.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:48 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Spectator sports bore me. I love cycling with my groups a lot but watching any sport is just boring to me. I don't think it is that unusual.
I don't think its unusual either. I played sports, all through HS, and in college, coached very briefly as well.

There are a lot of things that I'll do before I'll sit down and watch a sports game. I like watching Hockey games when they're on in the evening, but only as opposed to the 6' oclock news or whatnot. I don't find the NFL season all that intriguing, though I like watching the superbowl.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:18 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,871,441 times
I've noticed that women's interest in sports is age related.

Men's interest changes too, due to age, but for a different reason. (And, in a different direction.)

Old 02-15-2022, 12:53 PM

4,551 posts, read 2,702,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I'm just shy of 30 and never really had an interest in watching or playing sports. I would say 98% of people I know watch or follow at least one sport. Occasionally I will tune into the Olympics every 4 years but that's about it. My friends are pretty much the social outcast weirdo type and I feel to broaden my horizons I need to start picking up more mainstream interests.

I'm a 28 year old socially awkward weirdo who has never had a female friend. Goes to show why I have difficulty getting into things most people are interested in like sports.

Ladies and gents of CD, what do you think of a guy who has no interest in sports? If you're a sports fan would this be a deal breaker for you?
You sound much like me. Except I'm almost 60. I've also been happily married for 32 years, have a number of close friends, and I do a lot of interesting things.

Don't fake an interest in sports if you don't have an interest in sports.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:13 PM

1,702 posts, read 785,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Don't fake an interest in sports if you don't have an interest in sports.
True, especially so since there are so many other cool things you might be into. Fixing up cars or motorcycles, DIY woodwork projects, fishing or hunting (though these are considered sports). I’ve never heard of a woman complain about her husband or SO doing DIY (assuming he’s not destroying the place).

You might also be into video games, but mention it sparingly because it often elicits negative reactions.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:14 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
True, especially so since there are so many other cool things you might be into. Fixing up cars or motorcycles, DIY woodwork projects, fishing or hunting (though these are considered sports). I’ve never heard of a woman complain about her husband or SO doing DIY (assuming he’s not destroying the place).

You might also be into video games, but mention it sparingly because it often elicits negative reactions.
Interesting. I have and I have been one of them. If he spends every weekend in the garage and just comes inside to eat, then we have an issue.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:12 PM

950 posts, read 693,718 times
My favorite sport is Fencing. What baffles me is why my friend says that Fencing is not a sport. To me, fencing is definitely a sport because it calls for much speed and agility. In fact, fencing is so fast that the camera has to repeat the actions in Slow-motion in order to analyze the action. So why would he say it's not a sport??

Old 02-15-2022, 04:23 PM

1,702 posts, read 785,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Interesting. I have and I have been one of them. If he spends every weekend in the garage and just comes inside to eat, then we have an issue.
Let me rephrase, if he is good (or simply decent) at it and isn’t neglecting his relationship, he will rarely get complaints.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:55 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,024,934 times
Non-Sports guy here. My wife, on the other hand LOVES sports in general. I’m athletic, and played sports in grade school and high school, just never found much interest in watching them as opposed to participating. During High School got into cars and mechanics, and started to enjoy tinkering with cars…do some hobby woodworking, did a bunch of motorcycling, obviously fly airplanes around and wrenched on those for years too. Enjoy camping, hiking, fishing, golfing (it’s a sport), and played enough sports as a kid as well as watched some (dad LOVED football) that i know the rules of play, the penalties, and idiosyncrasies that make most games work…just no rugby or cricket please…otherwise, I likely know as much as many…except who the current hot shot players are. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships