Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:07 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Did you see this question? I think it's important. Also, has he ever before thought that his judgement was better than yours, or his way of doing things?
He's only gotten mad at me when I didn't call him while I was out late. He just always worries about me. He is older than me, so I think he does believe he has better judgment than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Does he like your friend? What's she like?

Just based on this one sided post he obviously has trust issues and seems controlling.

There's 2 sides to every story. He could have had a reason not to trust you, etc. not likef your friend for various reasons that may seem sketchy, etc.

If this type of thing is a rare occurance (going out and not coming home) I don't see it as a big deal.

Also, as for people with the whole "need to be married and then you'll have a say" thats b.s. they live together. They've been together 6 years. I don't know about their relationship but I could never picture things like that "changing" when marriage happens. Other than possibly finances and responsibilities I don't really see anything should change much when marriage comes around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
He has only met her once and they seemed to get along. She is Asian and very liberal. My boyfriend is a conservative liberal but finds overly liberal people annoying. She has also made some negative posts about men on Facebook lately, so he's convinced she's a bit of a man hater.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:07 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,016 times
What does her ethnic background have to do with this tale, exactly?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
He has only met her once and they seemed to get along. She is Asian and very liberal. My boyfriend is a conservative liberal but finds overly liberal people annoying. She has also made some negative posts about men on Facebook lately, so he's convinced she's a bit of a man hater.
What does any of this have to do with the issue of your staying the night with her? And what's a "conservative liberal"?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Drunk chick staying out with the girls = red flag.
Exactly. Been through this and it did not turn out well and went exactly as I discovered.

It's pretty clear my ex was just using this as an excuse to hang with another guy. In the OP's mind she thinks it's harmless. It's really not. Once in a while is no big deal... but if this is a thing that happens often, big red flag.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Exactly. Been through this and it did not turn out well and went exactly as I discovered.

It's pretty clear my ex was just using this as an excuse to hang with another guy. In the OP's mind she thinks it's harmless. It's really not. Once in a while is no big deal... but if this is a thing that happens often, big red flag.
From everything the OP said, this sounds like a one-off event, not something that happens even semi-regularly (or even one time prior).

She was out with a friend, she got a bit inebriated then got tired, was 40 minutes from home and wanted to just stay at her friend's house instead of dealing with a long train or cab ride home. I genuinely do not see what the big deal is here, unless the untold part of the story is that she's doing it weekly. This doesn't show disrespect to her relationship, it shows common sense on her part. Her BF's reaction was completely out of line.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 AM

13 posts, read 23,932 times
Sounds like a trust issue.

He could be afraid of or thinking that you are sleeping somewhere else doing something else....

Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
Considering 80% of men cheat and 60% of women do these day, it's understandable. I realize nobody on this forum ever cheats, but they are out there.

I once had a girlfriend whom I paid for everything for! I spent about $8,000 a month on her including all her living expenses and she was all about "women's equality." She used to hang out with an male co-worker who was married, for me strike one. That friendship abruptly ended and she claimed it was because, "I had a problem with it." Yeah right, I think something was going on. Then she went to her X-boyfriends house cause she, "never got to say bye to his kids." Strike two. I let her resume her equality ways and pay for her own damn bills after several months of the mysterious happenings. Much to her dismay. Do I know for absolute fact she was cheating? No I do not, but the simple fact she felt it was her right to put herself in such situation was enough for me to move on.

You went out to the bar to have drinks, then stayed out for the night. Most men would have issues with this, those that say they don't are lying and probably would be spying on you, or have something on the side themselves.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Considering 80% of men cheat and 60% of women do these day, it's understandable. I realize nobody on this forum ever cheats, but they are out there.

You went out to the bar to have drinks, then stayed out for the night. Most men would have issues with this, those that say they don't are lying and probably would be spying on you, or have something on the side themselves.
Of course people cheat. But if someone's going to cheat, they'll likely do it when you're not expecting them to do it. People will find ways to cheat even if you keep them on virtual lockdown, if they want to.

Years ago, I had a boyfriend who cheated on me, and I stayed with him (because I was an idiot), and from then on I constantly was suspecting that he was cheating on me and analyzing his behavior. I never should've stayed in that relationship after the infidelity because it turned me into a jealous lunatic. Conversely, he was also always suspecting I was cheating on him (and I never did).

The default of any relationship should be trust -- if that trust is broken, the relationship either needs to end or counseling/healing needs to happen until the trust is fully restored.

If someone can't go out with their friends occasionally for drinks, then even more rarely than that make an adult decision to stay over because they've had too much/they're exhausted, trust is not in that relationship. It's a whole different ballgame if it's happening with any regularity, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
This is what I get for not living with the man before I married him. Are things different when you're married? I'd be kind of pissed if he got drunk and refused to come home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships