Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:44 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
Anyone can have any physical preferences they want. Whether they can actually get someone who matches these preferences isn't necessarily up to them, though. Just because someone spends 40 hours a week at the gym doesn't mean he/she is automatically more attractive than someone who works out 0-5 hours a week.

No, not automatically, but there are tendencies. And as we get older a commitment to physical fitness becomes more important. In my 20s I didn't need to go to the gym to keep in decent shape. Now I'm there, or doing longer runs, at least 6x a week and often more.

I would agree with the preference part though. I have slight preferences, but if I met someone way different from those preferences but she was awesome, smart, fun, cute and we had great chemistry would I say "no way"? Of course not, that would be idiotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 01:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
In the context of relationships, water seeks its own level - emotionally and physically.

A non smoker wants to be with a fellow non smoker, not someone who hates to have their clothes smelling of cigarette smoke.

A drinker wants to be with a drinker, not someone who thinks alcohol is evil.

A physically fit person wants a partner who can keep up with them on the trails of life.

This is not rocket science.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:50 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
Does being in good shape and having a nice body justify one's physical choices in a mate? I believe many women use their looks based on the feedback and appeal they get from her friends, family and work environment. This supposedly gives them the means to pick freely and exclusively among the top quality guys. I guess this is where leagues really come into play. A lot of men put some of these women on a pedastel and it's not entirely the womans fault really.

A ballplayer is not going to reject the millions of dollars if the team and the owner is offering that kind of money. So by that rationale it is plausible that a woman is not going to accept less than her standard if she has been fed to believe that her looks can get her any man she wants? I've met hot, hot, hot women at the gym who only date the best looking guys because they let their bodies dictate their choices. It's not always true because I've seen hot women with the turdiest of turds for guys and vice-versa.
I don't understand. Anyone can be attracted to anyone they like. It either works for them or it doesn't. I'm not sure I understand why you are talking about what women believe they can get or what they will accept. This just sounds like sour grapes. "But she's not as hot as she thinks she is so she shouldn't go after THAT guy - she should settle for someone else!" It doesn't matter. If people are able to attract the people that they want to attract - it doesn't matter if you think it's right or wrong. And if they aren't able to attract the people that they want to attract - then they either end up alone or they change their thinking.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In the context of relationships, water seeks its own level - emotionally and physically.

A non smoker wants to be with a fellow non smoker, not someone who hates to have their clothes smelling of cigarette smoke.

A drinker wants to be with a drinker, not someone who think alcohol is evil.

A physically fit person wants a partner who can keep up with them on the trails of life.
Agreed....but for the last one, do you think people care about actual physical fitness, or perceived physical fitness more? Because my bf looks like he's in better shape than me, but I continually kick his behind on trails and have far more endurance than he does. I also know quite a few people who look like they're in good shape, but in reality have zero endurance and never exercise.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:54 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,947,750 times
I bet you this guy has a .... Short.. Fuse too.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Agreed....but for the last one, do you think people care about actual physical fitness, or perceived physical fitness more? Because my bf looks like he's in better shape than me, but I continually kick his behind on trails and have far more endurance than he does. I also know quite a few people who look like they're in good shape, but in reality have zero endurance and never exercise.
I think for a truly physical person - someone dedicated and out there running marathons or climbing mountains on a regular basis - they want a partner who's level of fitness is comparable.

Someone who is just fit and trim because they work out 3 times a week and eat right will usually prefer a partner of the same mindset too

But looks will only last so long. Eventually time catches up with folks and if they aren't really doing the work the differences will become very obvious.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,525 times
I personally want a girl that will actually enjoy the gym with me. Ive dated girls that "look" more fit than 95% of women out there, yet they do nothing. They're naturally like that.

I dont want a woman that complains when I go to the gym 4-5x a week or complains that I eat healthy and won't eat fast food or ice cream weekly.

Believe it or not this seems to be a problem for plenty of women. It's almost like they perceive it as a threat or something. If a girl tries to talk me out of going to the gym to stay home and watch a movie she will see the door fast. And yes, it has happened.

My gf has worked out with me all year. She had never worked out much till then except running. Now she loves the gym. Pushing herself. Coming up with new healthy recipes. Learning new exercises. She outworks me in the gym a lot of days. I'll rest and she'll start doing push ups or wall squats.

I think if many guys like working out theres nothing wrong with finding a woman with similar interests. Afterall thays a big part of the reason we choose our partner, right? Similar interests

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-14-2013, 02:27 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post

I dont want a woman that complains when I go to the gym 4-5x a week or complains that I eat healthy and won't eat fast food or ice cream weekly.

Believe it or not this seems to be a problem for plenty of women. It's almost like they perceive it as a threat or something. If a girl tries to talk me out of going to the gym to stay home and watch a movie she will see the door fast. And yes, it has happened.

Agree. I hate that. Yes, I get up at 5 and go to the gym before work. Do it every work day. Yes, it is important to me. No, I'm not going to gorge on ice cream, cookies, soda, fried foods, or going out and having a bunch of beer on work nights, etc. Just not doing it. I work hard to stay in decent shape (I'm not super fit, just decent shape) and I'm not giving it up.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
"I keep myself in tip top shape so I can have a bird that's in tip top shape. I work hard on maintaining a healthy fit body so I don't think it's wrong of me to expect the same in a woman. If chicks are gonna turn me away because I'm not tall enough, I can turn them away because they aren't fit enough."

Does being in good shape and having a nice body justify one's physical choices in a mate?
Sure. I think it's more attractive to want to be healthy and fit for its own sake, not to turn away chicks, though.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,168 times
I'm confused. I hear a lot of angst in this thread where people are adamantly defending their right to date who they choose. I thought we always had that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships