Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 PM

21 posts, read 22,670 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all your responses. I was feeling very discouraged, so I appreciate the comments... but I will just chalk it up to him being a sleezebag jerk. Who wants to deal with this crap on a new job? That's life...

So funny Lilac110, I actually did date a minor league baseball player. I have a great pic with him too. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,015,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapapillon View Post
Thank you, Jan. I have tough skin. I'm a native New Yorker. LOL... I just want to do my job and that's it. I don't want to be harassed again. When I started working 10 years ago, a senior guy would come on to me, and one day slapped me on my butt. I thought I set him straight, but he continued. I asked to be moved and I was. It still continued. It stopped when my new boss (a female) actually witnessed him.

If this escalates, and I hope and pray it doesn't, I'll take it to HR. My question is more basic than that. Bottom line, why do married men behave this way?
If it's bothering you enough for you to post here, why in the world would you wait until it escalates? If it's as big a deal as you're making it here, you'll nip it in the bud now.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:43 PM

39 posts, read 36,822 times
Quote:
Hi. This is my first post. I finally, after being a lurker for many years, decided to post.

I started a new job. I am professional, don't dress provocatively, don't flirt, nothing like that. There is a married guy who calls me for the most ridiculous things - things he could easily find himself... He's worked here for more than 8 years. Yesterday, he came to my office, dressed very professionally, but fishing for compliments on how he's was dressed...(really? Gimme a break) He delivered a document to me that he could have scanned via email. Anyway, he was about to ask me out, and I brought up his wife... So he dropped it all together.

What is it with these married men? I'm single, but I find it very insulting that a man would think I would go out with him if he's married. This isn't the first time this has happened to mean a work situation. I never will date a married man. I've seen first hand the consequences of that behavior. My dad left my mom for a girl he met on his job, who could be my sister. But that's another story for another time. Needless to say, I never want to anything like HER.

Please help me understand this. I'm looking for honesty. Why do married men do this? It scares me as a single woman. Will my future husband pull this crap? Any honest advice on how I can avoid this in the future would be appreciated.
I can't help much...either I'm over 60, married and a pervert or I'm a 14 year old kid playing online.

I say BLAH to both......

Old 11-16-2013, 06:06 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,255,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post

Actually I think this whole thing is pretty funny. Swap the compliments about her eyes/smile for a compliment about a tie or haircut on a man and this whole thing would be completely acceptable in some fields.
It can be argued that a haircut or choice in tie is an extension of personality, but these are external things that are done with an effort to look good. Compliments would be expected. A person's smile and eyes are a part of them, things that cannot be changed without plastic surgery. Compliment a person's eyes and you are complimenting them...not their choice in attire or barber.

You know that is true. Here is a test: next time your business hires a new male, go up to him, compliment him on smile/eyes then ask him if he'd like to go to dinner. Of course you won't do that...you know exactly what he will be thinking.

InternetTroll?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,188,727 times
With all due respect, you must be a teenager. This is nothing new, lol
It's something I've gotten used to, since the age of 15.
Asking why is pointless.
Having morals & avoiding the temptation to allow them to romance you is what you need to be focused on.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:44 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Bottom line, why do married men behave this way?
What I don't understand is the married men who blatantly flirt with another woman while their wife is with them. Some men are shameless.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 PM

377 posts, read 620,515 times
Just tell him you think he's a pushy creep. Guaranteed way to get a man to stop making eye contact with you and avoid you when possible in the workplace. If you can't say it to his face, tell one of your female coworkers who knows him to pass it on.

The "C" word is your best weapon in the workplace when it comes to these types of situations.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,633,063 times
Quote:
Hi. This is my first post. I finally, after being a lurker for many years, decided to post.

I started a new job. I am professional, don't dress provocatively, don't flirt, nothing like that. There is a married guy who calls me for the most ridiculous things - things he could easily find himself... He's worked here for more than 8 years. Yesterday, he came to my office, dressed very professionally, but fishing for compliments on how he's was dressed...(really? Gimme a break) He delivered a document to me that he could have scanned via email. Anyway, he was about to ask me out, and I brought up his wife... So he dropped it all together.

What is it with these married men? I'm single, but I find it very insulting that a man would think I would go out with him if he's married. This isn't the first time this has happened to mean a work situation. I never will date a married man. I've seen first hand the consequences of that behavior. My dad left my mom for a girl he met on his job, who could be my sister. But that's another story for another time. Needless to say, I never want to anything like HER.

Please help me understand this. I'm looking for honesty. Why do married men do this? It scares me as a single woman. Will my future husband pull this crap? Any honest advice on how I can avoid this in the future would be appreciated.
I haven't been around here for a while but I dropped by today and found this thread. I am a man but I can only speak.for myself and offer an opinion which will upset some people around here but it is my very own opinion and does not represent anyone else's opinion. Men can be horrible.creatures, I started a thread several months ago that caused so much controversy that it was closed, I never thought that would ever happened to one of my threads. On that thread I spoke about a reality that I beleive affects a lot of men and that could be one of the reasons why your situation with that men exists.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 PM

42 posts, read 43,804 times
In your mind that may be so, but in a man's world, sometimes it's the conquest of loving someone new that appeals to us. Nothing personal, just lust at the moment. Chances are: this won't be too permanent unless your extremely good.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,672,043 times
Never gonna happen. The Grand Canyon exists between men and women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships