Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,799 times

Advertisements

Why is it that the woman will not believe what size clothing my husband and children wear? She is great - she spends time with the kids, she takes them to lunch - she keeps them overnight and she calls them at least once a week. I really like her too - we get along great. She's a little passive aggressive - but I am too old to play games and I force her to deal with stuff - so it's really not too bad. BUT THE CLOTHES ISSUE.
For instance - this weekend she shows up to pick up our baby - she's 5 - for lunch and shopping and she hands me a Target bag with two outfits for her inside. Nothing fancy - just holiday leggings and ls t-shirts. She had called me from the store to ask what size and I told her and wouldn't you know it - she got a full size smaller - because "that just sounded way too big." so of course the little one wants me to wash the stuff right away so whe could wear it and I said - Honey I have to take it back and get the right size - Mommom must have forgotten what Mommy said!
AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I know - don't sweat the small stuff.

This is the stuff that's gonna kill me!

Anyone else have anything similiar? I know I shouldn't complain - my own mother is much worse and I avoid her like the plague.

Last edited by I love the Bears; 11-19-2007 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 AM

200 posts, read 888,469 times
I'm blessed to have a fantastic MIL.

Her only funny quality? Telling the same stories repeatedly. I think I've heard one particular story at least 8 times since I've been with DH. I never, ever, interrupt her though, I smile and listen every single time. Why? Because she could have worse personality traits, and why embarass someone like that? It's just cruel!

She's a wonderful lady who knows when to step in, and when to mind her own business.

My OWN mother...coincidentally....does the SAME thing. Repeats the same stories. Funny thing is, I always say, "Mom, you told me that already." And her reply is always, "I did? Oh, well, I can never remember who I've told what to, anyway." And my response is always, "I know how much you hate to repeat yourself...you told me that a lot growing up!" LOL (i.e. "I thought I asked you to clean up your room!!")

Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 AM

That's funny! I usually can let stuff roll off me and she is so nice that it's hard to be really mad. Kinda like kicking a dog - you just FEEL bad....

Old 11-19-2007, 01:13 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Mine's the type that has to have everything done for her, and done for her now. Like ... How are we supposed to be over there in 10 minutes when we live a half hour away? Sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedie80 View Post
My OWN mother...coincidentally....does the SAME thing. Repeats the same stories. Funny thing is, I always say, "Mom, you told me that already." And her reply is always, "I did? Oh, well, I can never remember who I've told what to, anyway."
Sis ... is that you?!?!?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:29 PM

200 posts, read 888,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mine's the type that has to have everything done for her, and done for her now. Like ... How are we supposed to be over there in 10 minutes when we live a half hour away? Sheesh.

Sis ... is that you?!?!?
LOL ...maybe it's a midwest thing (I'm Indiana)

My mom is the SAME WAY with impatience!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:33 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,258 times
The size thing was a blantant disregard for the information she requested whild she was shopping. I would be annoyed too but it sounds like you have a lot of blessings to count other than these situations..... and you know that. Let it roll and go exchange the outift.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:35 PM

I know - but don't you ever get tired of being the "better person?'' It gets old

Old 11-19-2007, 01:38 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love the Bears View Post
I know - but don't you ever get tired of being the "better person?'' It gets old
I'm ALWAYS the better person!!

(not)

Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 PM

That made me laugh!!!!!! Thanks....

Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 PM

558 posts, read 2,249,333 times
Yeah, my MIL, God rest her soul...oops...she's not dead, just moved to New York ... is the Queen of Passive Aggressive Abuse. She did the wrong size clothes thing consistently, rearranged my kitchen when I was in the shower, got into a physical fight with my husband over how to peel potatoes (shoved him and knocked the potato peeler out of his hand...A GUY.....PEELING POTATOES!!!)

One time, she pulled my underpants out of my dresser drawer and gave me a lecture on how to get the crotches cleaner....swear to God!!! I may have to write a book about her, life is DEFINITELY stranger than fiction...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships