Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one suits you?
I'm a man and I think good looking women are harder to find 5 15.63%
I'm a man and I think women with good personalities are hard to find 15 46.88%
I'm a woman and I think good looking men are harder to find 2 6.25%
I'm a woman and I think men with good personalities are hard to find 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Personality, hands down... but only if you combine personality with compatibility. There are plenty of pleasant people I'm not compatible with, but for the sake of this poll I'm combining the two.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Quote:
The flaw there is you wouldn't take the time to get to know their personality if you were turned off by their looks.
This is true... but it takes a lot to "turn me off" by looks. I mean, a person would have to delve into horrible hygiene or something I would think.

I think with me (and I know a lot of guys on this forum swear this never happens) but with me, I tend to befriend men first. I don't care what my friends look like at all. Sometimes, as I get to know him, a male friend stands out a little more and I start to fall for him. If I am lucky, he falls for me too and something more comes out of it. Every single long term relationship I ever had... except one... started out this way and for the most part, they were all good. Sure they ended, but they ended friendly and there was no big break up heartache or drama.

I think it's another facet to online dating not working for me. It's like you go from zero to dating and I don't get that "get to know him" stage. It felt so unnatural to me. All you have are pictures (which don't matter much to me other than to "prove" they aren't hiding from wives, girlfriends, or the law) and what they choose to write--which sometimes is very little information or sometimes misleading or outdated. I wanted to befriend first, but that wasn't the goal of the men.

Then again, I know I am an odd duck So all that stuff I just said above... I am sure it's not typical of everyone (or even most). But it is true of me and, as odd as I am, I don't think I am the only person like this.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:57 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,743 times
A great, genuine woman with an awesome personality is much more difficult to find.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:04 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,996 times
I don't care much about personality if the attraction isn't there.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:49 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times
Couldn't make a choice from the poll options.

Based on reading & looking at photos online, there are plenty of faces I find attractive,
and plenty of profiles that read well (indicative of personality),
but the challenge is that it's so rare to find a profile with *both* being appealing to me.

Realize we're expected to pick one or the other,
but I cannot be with someone that I find off-putting, be it visually or emotionally.
Both factors need to be present for me to potentially be interested.

I wouldn't want (nor would I expect) someone to be with me
if he found either my looks or my mind unappealing to him.

My guess (I don't know the statistics) is that I find an equal % of profiles to have *either*
an attractive (to my eyes) face or an attractive personality (to my mind)-
can't say that one or the other is more common/likely.

And, to be fair, this is mostly based on prospects at online dating site, as I don't meet many people IRL.
And what few people I see in passing, out in public-whether or not I find them attractive visually,
I don't usually meet & get to know them, so I cannot guess whether I'd find their personalities attractive or not.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Its hard to find a mix of both!

Old 12-03-2013, 01:57 PM

31,085 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Personality, hands down... but only if you combine personality with compatibility. There are plenty of pleasant people I'm not compatible with, but for the sake of this poll I'm combining the two.
That is the key for me. If they are compatible that typically means you like their personality (Unless that’s not your thing). Almost all of my friends have great personalities, to me at least. Finding someone who is compatible, is the hard part, it takes time.

Then there is a matter of time. How long will they remain compatible with you? A month, a year, a lifetime?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
If a guy doesn't have the physical attraction down to some degree, his personality won't matter unless he has the best personality in town.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:14 PM

457 posts, read 605,322 times
In women, definitely personality, I think most guys on this forum would agree with me. Most women are attractive physically in some way, enough to enertain the thought of getting to know them better, but a smaller percentage have a decently compatible personality.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Personality to deal with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships