Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:50 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,438,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Who the heck would be nervous about making a friend?
Lots of people. People with social anxiety. People who are shy. People who are worried that in this world when a guy approaches a girl for conversation that many girls often jump to the wrong conclusion about his motivations. Still other people fear rejection on any level.... the list goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM

13 posts, read 11,455 times
Do you guys think its wiser to make superficial small talk first, instead of asking a more meaningful question? I read this piece of advice in another thread but I'm not too sure about it..."Anything sincere. What would you say to a guy? You wouldn't force a conversation with a guy because it would be weird. It's the same thing. Pretend you are talking to one of your guy friends." I know going with your gut is probably the best advice...but I've thought about it too much now and I've lost sight of what my gut even is...lol

Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,931,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrider View Post
Do you guys think its wiser to make superficial small talk first, instead of asking a more meaningful question? I read this piece of advice in another thread but I'm not too sure about it..."Anything sincere. What would you say to a guy? You wouldn't force a conversation with a guy because it would be weird. It's the same thing. Pretend you are talking to one of your guy friends." I know going with your gut is probably the best advice...but I've thought about it too much now and I've lost sight of what my gut even is...lol
roxy, quit over-thinking this and creating so much extra anxiety for yourself!

Just keep things simple, not forced or rehearsed.

Look for an opportunity to say whatever is appropriate in that moment that you run in to her.

Ex - if it's snowing a blizzard outside you say, how about that global warming? LOL

Okay, not being totally serious here, just trying to loosen you up a bit ok?

The important thing is to make contact - SPEAK TO HER - then the next day DO IT AGAIN.

You just have to keep it light and friendly okay?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:01 PM

Feel like the gods are playing with me... yesterday turns out she was behind me in the crosswalk and by the time I realized she was there the doors of a building had closed behind her....today I waited outside class early to talk and reference this episode but jeez she's always talking to someone else...I guess I'll have to try to interject without being rude if it keeps being this impossible to talk to her alone. #fiascothatdoesn'tneedtobeafiasco

Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Feel like the gods are playing with me... yesterday turns out she was behind me in the crosswalk and by the time I realized she was there the doors of a building had closed behind her....today I waited outside class early to talk and reference this episode but jeez she's always talking to someone else...I guess I'll have to try to interject without being rude if it keeps being this impossible to talk to her alone. #fiascothatdoesn'tneedtobeafiasco
just a tip...try making eye contact and smiling BEFORE you speak to her. But DO speak to her

Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 PM

got it..like as a tacit introduction?

thanks loves

Old 02-26-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
got it..like as a tacit introduction?

thanks loves
Right.

Never underestimate the value of eye contact before the spoken word

Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM

I keep waiting to catch her alone before class (cause I've seen her wait in the past alone)...but iz not happening now. I feel like I would know exactly what to do in this situation, but when she's already talking to someone it's harder... guess if I can't catch her alone I should try to sit closer in class and tactfully socialize. Are there any options here I'm not seeing? ugh..this is a terrible feeling not unlike when you're trying to reach something on top of a tall bookshelf...and you're so close but nope...

Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM

finally managed to exchange a few words with her. was walking from class to bus and noticed she was behind me. said something like "hey, i feel like its silly that we never talk" then she said
"yeah it is silly...i guess people kind of get in their zones" we had just taken a test...so we asked each other how we thought we did...etc. course during and after the conversation I kept thinking it was going horribly...but its hard to know how much of that is my crazy goggles. Anyway...least I managed to make words come out of my mouth...lol...I really just need to learn how to maintain perspective while I'm socializing.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:23 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,422,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Lots of people. People with social anxiety. People who are shy. People who are worried that in this world when a guy approaches a girl for conversation that many girls often jump to the wrong conclusion about his motivations. Still other people fear rejection on any level.... the list goes on.
I swear, I think this happened to me this semester. I tried making a new female friend who's in two of my classes. For some odd reason, she took me having a conversation with her as a romantic interest (even though I did and said nothing to say I was interested in her like that), and now ignores me whenever she looks at me. Every time we see each other in the hall way or what not, she quickly looks down and walks away quickly. I've contemplated going up to her and telling her what her issue is, but I figure that it isn't even worth it. Some women are just weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships