Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,414,870 times

Advertisements

Ask if she wants to study over coffee for finals. Or at the library, this is how my ex made his move. I was star struck when I found out he could do calculus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 09:15 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,352,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrider View Post
The truth is I don't know that we'd be good friends, it's just an intuition, and I'd rather be a friend to someone I'm interested in (on any level) than a stranger to them. Unfortunately, there's not really an etiquette established for asking a girl out on a "friend date"; she assumes you're smitten. Of course, I kind of am. Ugh anyway...

My only real issue now is logistics. We don't sit next to each other anymore, so unless I catch her on the way in or out, or take somebody else's seat (not particularly nice), it's tough. Also, part of me dreads spending more classes with her if another awkward encounter occurs (it's a fairly small class); I really need to get over this stuff and stop being a baby.
You just said you're smitten. You want to be more than friends. This route is 100% going to keep that from ever happening. It's almost a weasel tactic to try to friend with ulterior motives. You should be working from your real angle which is sexual.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 PM

13 posts, read 11,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
You just said you're smitten. You want to be more than friends. This route is 100% going to keep that from ever happening. It's almost a weasel tactic to try to friend with ulterior motives. You should be working from your real angle which is sexual.
Can't getting coffee just be getting coffee? It's not like I'm going to explicitly say "I want to be your friend." or "I want to be your boyfriend."

Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,782,251 times
I think you need to practice, get your confidence up. The more you talk to girls the more comfortable you will feel.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:46 PM

Definitely need the practice. Today, was going to do it, but here's the thing: she usually comes in and leaves with the same friend... which necessitates me approaching both of them..which makes the situation a little more awkward (I know, toughen up). Not really sure what I can do here except brave things. Only have one more regular class period, probably would be best to do it then rather than final day.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times
Quote:
Definitely need the practice. Today, was going to do it, but here's the thing: she usually comes in and leaves with the same friend... which necessitates me approaching both of them..which makes the situation a little more awkward (I know, toughen up). Not really sure what I can do here except brave things. Only have one more regular class period, probably would be best to do it then rather than final day.
Come on man, be like Nike, JUST DO IT!

I want you to come back here tomorrow evening and tell us you managed to approach her okay?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:50 PM

Thought for sure I would today, but nope. I started rationalizing: "she's a beautiful girl who would only say yes if she found me attractive, and why would she find someone with 'fine' features like mine attractive when she could have a more classically attractive guy...she probably already has a boyfriend anyway" etc. Haha, it also didn't help that lecture today included the "matching hypothesis": a proposal that suggests people pretty much always choose to connect with people who are similarly attractive, have maximum commonality socially etc. You would think my being attracted to her would convince me otherwise, but I feel like an aberration. I need to be able to separate the specificity of this situation with the fact that I must stop living in an effing shell. I've got one more shot next week, assuming I finish my exam before she does (very possible). If I can't manage to flipping act this time, I've got to go to therapy; I can't live like this anymore. BUT I will act...every fiber of my body wants to act...it's my stupid mind that's the problem.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
You can always just ask her how the class went for her, if she's ready for finals, if she's going to be taking more classes like it, just get some kind of conversation going and go from there.

As far as the friend zone, sometimes that's fine -- and friends can have other friends, the more people you know, the better.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:49 PM

455 posts, read 899,699 times
Quote:
Thought for sure I would today, but nope. I started rationalizing: "she's a beautiful girl who would only say yes if she found me attractive, and why would she find someone with 'fine' features like mine attractive when she could have a more classically attractive guy...she probably already has a boyfriend anyway" etc. Haha, it also didn't help that lecture today included the "matching hypothesis": a proposal that suggests people pretty much always choose to connect with people who are similarly attractive, have maximum commonality socially etc. You would think my being attracted to her would convince me otherwise, but I feel like an aberration. I need to be able to separate the specificity of this situation with the fact that I must stop living in an effing shell. I've got one more shot next week, assuming I finish my exam before she does (very possible). If I can't manage to flipping act this time, I've got to go to therapy; I can't live like this anymore. BUT I will act...every fiber of my body wants to act...it's my stupid mind that's the problem.
Should have asked her to help you test the validity of the hypothesis outlined in the lecture.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,606,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
uh you're purposely trying to get into the friendzone? Why? What about this hot girl makes you want to be "friends" with her. Is she super cool, do you share the same interests? Or is she just hot and you want to get to know her for being hot?

Why would you want to be one of the 100 other guys orbiting this girl and being her emotional tampon when she cries about the guys she's actually interested in?

I can promise you that if your ulterior motive is to become friends and somehow parlay that into some sort of sexual relationship you are going to fail. Miserably.
Guys just have to figure this stuff out on their own usually. Hell, some guys never figure it out - and that's their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships