Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I apoligize?
Yes; clear the air 4 20.00%
No; let the past die off 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:38 AM

493 posts, read 981,299 times

Advertisements

Bit of a long story so I'll shorten it down, but I met a girl in 2007 and we started dating April 2008. We dated for about a year before I broke it off. I used a very lame excuse (I'm just not looking for a relationship right now) but the truth was I was deeply in the closet and still struggling with my identity. I started dating a guy secretly shortly after the breakup, came out of the closet to really close friends and family in 2011, then we got married in 2012 and I was finally comfortable enough to be completely out of the closet.

It has now been 4 and a half years since I broke up with my girlfriend, and I was thinking about sending her a message explaining the truth and apologizing. I know she was completely blindsided by the breakup and my explanation was really insufficient, but since we graduated in 2011 I haven't seen her at all. I'm just not sure if clearing the air would be appropriate at this point or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
I would do it, if I were you. And if I were her, I would appreciate it.

You never know if she has forgotten you completely, or if you are the one she lies awake at night trying to figure out how things could have been different. Clear that up, and maybe you two can be friends again -- or at least she (and you) can feel that the past is more tidy.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,747,131 times
I think she would be better off knowing. It's one of the few reasons where you can really say, it's me, not you.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
I'd leave her be. Your contact may just open up that painful wound. The gay thing may also cause her issues.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
If you haven't seen her, heard from her, or contacted her in several years, don't live in the same place, aren't connected on social media, aren't likely to come into contact with one another, I'd probably just let it lie. No need to rise from obscurity to revisit things. It may or may not be welcome, at any rate, and it's probably more for your own conscience/personal reasons than for her, anyway. I could see it if you are in a situation where you might run into her with your spouse, and a head's up might be the polite thing, or if you have connections via social media where details of your life are accessible to her, and an acknowledgment might be nice, but otherwise, eh. Let sleeping dogs lie. You have no reason to believe she hasn't moved on and doesn't need such closure from you...it's been several years, after all.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 AM

31,083 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'd leave her be. Your contact may just open up that painful wound. The gay thing may also cause her issues.
It would most likely freak her out. We all see the poll results of how the majority women feel about sleeping with Bi men.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
"Who was that on the phone?"
"My ex-boyfriend."
"What did he want?"
"He wanted to tell me he's gay and married."
"I KNEW IT!! Remember when he..... "

Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Whether or not a former girlfriend is going to find the "Sorry we didn't work out, but it's because I'm gay" revelation to be relieving or bothersome (if she didn't feel just totally neutral about it) is really a crapshoot. There's one type of person that would say, "Oh, got it, it really WAS "you, not me," cool," and then there's the type who would have some sort of self-esteem issue tied up in it ("what about me attracts closeted men/men with orientation confusion/is there something wrong with me that I had a boyfriend who doesn't even LIKE women," etc.) Without knowing which way this would go (if either), I'd probably just let it lie.

People break up for lots of reasons all the time, and while it might seem like it's important to know the reasons in this case, it's in reality no different than any other breakup...it's over, people have ostensibly moved on, and the reasons aren't necessarily important, now that this many years have elapsed. If you ever ran into her, sure, but specifically contacting someone you're otherwise not gonna see? Eh.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,270,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
It would most likely freak her out. We all see the poll results of how the majority women feel about sleeping with Bi men.
Not all women

Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 PM

493 posts, read 981,299 times
Well, it never went intimate, if that makes a difference.

Seems like this is a very evenly split topic, so I would guess erring on the side of caution and maintaining the status quo would be for the best. We do both live in Chicagoland, but its a huge city and chances are our social circles wouldn't ever intertwine. We do have a couple mutual friends, so there is a possibility she is already aware of my marriage, but I wouldn't be able to say for certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships