Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,611,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
The OP's assumption is that everyone has the option to sleep with 30 people casually.
Over the course of a lifetime? Not everyone, but I would say most have that opportunity, whether or not they choose to pursue it. Even if you settled down in middle age that would only be roughly one partner per year up until then. That's not exactly Gene Simmons territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
It's the thrill of someone new and different.
I suggest Nila and anyone else who is confused about this google the Coolidge Effect.

Evolutionarily it all goes back to the idea of females mating wisely and males mating widely.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 PM

663 posts, read 779,820 times
This entire thread is stupid.

1. As everyone pointed out, it is a false dilemma. Having sex with 30 women will not result in all 30 times to be crappy. Unless you only have sex with HB1s.

2. Assuming we sorted the above dilemma, of course any logical guy would choose option 2. However, is the guy going to wait for no sex to seek out option 2? F ck no. He is gonna go try and get some.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,013,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I suggest Nila and anyone else who is confused about this google the Coolidge Effect.
I'm aware of the myth, but it's a description of the phenomenon, not of the feelings behind it.

Quote:
Evolutionarily it all goes back to the idea of females mating wisely and males mating widely.
Actually, it seems that the desire for variety is not gendered. Some men don't want variety, some do. Same with women.

For those who do like, it, what do you like about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
This entire thread is stupid.
Were you having trouble loading the previous page? I'll reprint from there, to help you out:

This thread was a spin off of another. In the first thread, it was clear that the sex with 30 would be unambiguously awful. I tried to level the playing field a bit by improving it to 'bad to mediocre' .

Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,455,269 times
Sex with the same woman becomes crappy and mediocre after the first 10-15 times. Life is all about experiences, so I would obviously choose sex with 30 different partners. That is the wrong answer to admit to; however, I'm just keeping it real.

I would rather see 30 ok movies than watch the godfather 30 times in a row.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I'm aware of the myth,.
I'm not familiar with the myth. I was referring to the biological concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

Actually, it seems that the desire for variety is not gendered.
Correct. It's a matter of sex (which is biological), not gender (which is socially constructed). It is more common with biological males than biological females, regardless of their gender identity.

As far as feelings? A wide variety of emotions can accompany sexual experiences, regardless of one's number of partners or desired number of partners. I don't really understand how or why you expect that to be different. Or maybe I'm not sure what you're asking?

Last edited by nearnorth; 12-09-2013 at 11:48 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 12:05 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,013,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I'm not familiar with the myth. I was referring to the biological concept.
I meant the story about President Coolidge and his wife. But yes, I know the bio concept, too.

Quote:
Or maybe I'm not sure what you're asking?
I don't think so.

But you are one of the people on this forum whose perspectives I most value, so I will persevere .

Try this: Imagine that you are the only person you know of, of any gender who finds variety in sexual partners appealing in itself. Everyone else is indifferent to it. They don't dislike it, but they don't find it particularly appealing, either. It's just neutral.

You are talking to a male friend who is puzzled, and asks you what you like about variety. What do you tell him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships