Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:37 AM

157 posts, read 253,284 times

Advertisements

Guys/Gals, if you really like someone (you are not in a relationship with yet), how long does it take for you to reply?

Would you be upset if someone doesn't return your call/text within 24 hours?

For me, he/she had to see the missed call/text within 24 hours and not reaching back within that time frame means it's a clear sign that person is not interested. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:43 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Sometimes I don't respond for 48 hours... if the person called or texted to my cell. My cell (no ones cell) works in my house (I live in a dead zone). So if I stay home on a weekend to do something around the house, I can easily miss a call or text (and have on several occasions). But that's me and my weird little house in the middle of a dead zone.

Otherwise, I usually reply first time I get a chance. It could be right away to hours later (depending on if I am at work, driving, it's the middle of the night when I get a message and I wait until morning, etc). I would think that would be a more normal response from someone (who doesn't live in a dead zone, lol).

Old 12-16-2013, 08:44 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi85 View Post
Guys/Gals, if you really like someone (you are not in a relationship with yet), how long does it take for you to reply?

For me, he/she had to see the missed call/text within 24 hours and not reaching back within that time frame means it's a clear sign that person is not interested. What do you think?
If anybody (friend, coworker, family member) didn't respond to my text/call within 24-48 hours, it's pretty sh@tty.

But if it was someone I had romantic interest in, I would think either they are not interested and inconsiderate for 'ghosting me' or interested but too inconsiderate to spend 30 seconds to reply in text.

If they got back to me later, then that might be OK. But I won't chase.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
I don't usually wander away from my phone for more than a few hours at a time, so I would say within a few hours. A lot of times I'm able to reply within a few minutes especially if it's someone I really want to talk to.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
If anybody (friend, coworker, family member) didn't respond to my text/call within 24-48 hours, it's pretty sh@tty.

But if it was someone I had romantic interest in, I would think either they are not interested and inconsiderate for 'ghosting me' or interested but too inconsiderate to spend 30 seconds to reply in text.

If they got back to me later, then that might be OK. But I won't chase.
Are you male or female?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I don't usually wander away from my phone for more than a few hours at a time, so I would say within a few hours. A lot of times I'm able to reply within a few minutes especially if it's someone I really want to talk to.

Okay, I wander away from my phone. I usually don't see message/missed call until before I go to bed, which can be pretty late. So I usually don't return a call until next morning.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Sometimes I don't respond for 48 hours... if the person called or texted to my cell. My cell (no ones cell) works in my house (I live in a dead zone). So if I stay home on a weekend to do something around the house, I can easily miss a call or text (and have on several occasions). But that's me and my weird little house in the middle of a dead zone.

Otherwise, I usually reply first time I get a chance. It could be right away to hours later (depending on if I am at work, driving, it's the middle of the night when I get a message and I wait until morning, etc). I would think that would be a more normal response from someone (who doesn't live in a dead zone, lol).

Hmm I wish that person sees my missed call

Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi85 View Post
Are you male or female?
Male.

Ignoring texts is something I don't do because so many people do it to me, and it pisses me off. Along with people saying they are going to call me and they don't. I'm talking in a totally non-romantic sense.

I've never had the pleasure of rejecting somebody in the 'dating' stage, but if I did, I would not just ignore them and pretend they were not there. To me, these are all kind of little things that are kind of important.

Of course, I don't have a lot of options and rarely more than one, but women typically do, and if I did, I wouldn't put up with that.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:11 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,268 times

Depends on what I'm doing, but usually as soon as I can.

I would wonder why there's a late response, but I wouldn't be upset. I'd just do something else.

How do you know the guy (I'm assuming this is a guy) saw the text/call? Also, what was the nature of it? Sometimes when I get random texts from friends that don't require a timely response I may respond the next day. Even if the guy saw it it's not like he's obligated to drop everything to respond when you want him to.

It's all about context. Not everyone behaves the same way in similar situations.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,268 times
I should also mention that I'm usually pretty good about responding to texts fast, especially from my girlfriend. However, I know the world doesn't revolve around me and sometimes things come up.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post

How do you know the guy (I'm assuming this is a guy) saw the text/call? Also, what was the nature of it? Sometimes when I get random texts from friends that don't require a timely response I may respond the next day. Even if the guy saw it it's not like he's obligated to drop everything to respond when you want him to.

It's all about context. Not everyone behaves the same way in similar situations.

He asked me to call him today. I did. But he did not pick up .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships