Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 03:54 PM

56 posts, read 90,607 times

Advertisements

My friend is 24 and up until very recently she had never kissed a guy, had sex or had a boyfriend. She met a guy on POF in August and his profile always said that he was 'looking to date but nothing serious' and she said she was cool with this. On the second date, he also told her he was going travelling for 3 months in the new year. He has been pretty casual about keeping in contact with her - sometimes he doesn't reply to her texts for days and he regularly cancels plans they've made. He also has refused to add her on Facebook because in his words 'that wouldn't happen unless we were serious'.

She really, really likes him and recently lost her virginity to him after which he became really rubbish at meeting up and cancelled on her 4 times in a row. However, she believes that he's genuinely been busy at work/with his house etc and has told him that she really wants to try and make it work when he goes travelling. He has tried to let her down gently by telling her he didn't think their relationship is strong enough but she didn't get the hint, so now he has told her that he is taking a job abroad for a year.

Personally, I don't think he's been completely honest with her, but she is completely infatuated with him and is devastated over him leaving. I tried to tell her the truth so she would realise there's nothing to be sad about, but she started yelling at me, and now she's saying she wants to be f*ck buddies with him when he returns to London, where we live.

I'm not sure what to do and feel really bad for her,but I just don't understand how she can not realise that this was no more than a casual thing. Has anyone else been through this with their friends and what did you do? I don't want to hurt her anymore than she already is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 04:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmcandrew View Post
I'm not sure what to do and feel really bad for her,but I just don't understand how she can not realise that this was no more than a casual thing.
It's her first "relationship" or sexual experience, and she's smitten. It just goes to show what a powerful effect on the emotions and psyche sex can have. She's kinda like the little duckies that imprint and bond to whatever they see first after they're born. Whether that's a momma duck, a human, or something else, they'll follow it around until they're grown.

Given her reaction to your attempt to bring her down to reality, I don't think there's much you can do, except be there for her when the inevitable crash occurs. Or the STD outbreak, whichever comes first.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:06 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
He's not being completely honest with her in the sense that he's taking the easy way out, but as far as his intentions for their, uh, relationship go...he is being perfectly honest. She is the one who got on Plenty of Fish and decided to pursue a man who stated he only wants something casual. Yes, she is inexperienced, but she should have at least guessed that this would happen.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
I wonder if she would be more able to believe it if she heard it from a guy friend?

It might help also to tell her that this dude is not the only source of sex in the world, and his is not the best sex, either. I know she knows that intellectually, but I suspect she has not fully though it through.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
guess it's pointless to let a woman know from the jump "not looking for anything serious" because that just seems to go right over the head

a backup ignoring doesnt seem to work either

Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Sometimes, people have to learn for themselves about relationships. I doubt this will be the first or last time this happens to your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships