Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you date someone with bad teeth?
yes 14 21.54%
no 36 55.38%
only if he/she was amazing 15 23.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:07 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Yes, teeth can be fixed.
Who am I to judge.

If you truly love someone you love them beyond their outside appearance.
Yes, but when you first meet someone, you aren't in love with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, but when you first meet someone, you aren't in love with them.
True, if I liked them otherwise- I would still be interested in getting to know them.

I'm not that shallow. I know I wouldn't want to be judged that way.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
If the whole mouth looks like Indian corn then I'd say no.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
having crooked teeth has kept me out of the dating market for the most part. no confidence because of it, therefore no motivation to date anyone. the funny thing about it is women have been attracted to me in spite of this. threads like these are bittersweet....sweet in the way that i dont regret not trying to get a date for the last 6 years(because of my affliction), bitter in the way that something as idiotic as bad teeth are a dealbreaker to most. but, it is what it is.

i get braces put on in two weeks and have already started the long, drawn-out process to fix the horror show that are my teeth. it will be an expensive and painful process, but i have been saving for years.

i can't fault people for not going out with someone because of bad teeth. we're people. we like what we like. i can only do the best i can to be a better person and fix my problem. i am not doing it for anyone else but myself. i want some confidence and self-esteem, two things that i've never had in my 25 years on this earth.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Usually no. It depends on the shape they're in. Spaces don't really bug me, but overcrowded teeth typically do.
Same here, There are a number of people that have a front tooth gap. As long as they are relative straight and taken care of I'm good. Teeth straightening is money well spent though.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 AM

537 posts, read 769,261 times
I don't think a gap is equivalent to bad teeth either. To honestly answer this question though, you have to define what bad teeth means. I take it to mean major decay (which usually comes with an odor), very poor hygiene (also comes with an odor), oral/facial deformity, and lack of interest in maintenance of the mouth (don't bother to see a dentist even once a year). Probably just as important since they surround your teeth: good gums. If your gums are off-putting, e.g., ragged and bleeding, no, I'm not going to date you. I don't go for the chiclet look, but I also don't go for the golden-margarine-and-darker-colored teeth either. Teeth should generally be no darker than a pale yellow if they're well maintained. But these are usually all things you can generally pick up upon first interacting with someone. If a date developed into a relationship, and I learn that you don't even go to a dentist, I would be concerned for you and me. Even if your teeth and gums looked okay.

Teeth can be repaired, so I could date someone with minor oral issues (e.g., if you have a history of cavities or major oral issues, but you are getting or have had those addressed and are brushing your teeth; in the process of receiving or need some orthodontia; etc) or someone who makes oral care a priority (goes to the dentist; has plans to improve their teeth and gums, etc.). Minor oral issues can be managed and/or reversed. And maintenance through daily oral hygiene and routine visits to the dentist show that the person cares and is putting in effort to maintain a healthy mouth. Major issues can be repaired.

Obviously if there is major decay, very poor hygiene, deformity, and/or no attempt to improve upon major oral health issues, I doubt you'd get beyond a second date with anyone. And if you get to a first date, well, congratulations. I imagine this happens sometimes with online dating and personals. I do sympathize with people who do not have the income to improve their mouth, but it is hard for me to sympathize with someone who can't even do something basic like brush and rinse. You can be homeless and still have ok teeth, so poverty is not an excuse necessarily. All you need is water and a brush at a bare, bare minimum.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
No I won't date someone with bad teeth, but I voted yes because I don't consider a gap to be 'bad teeth'.

Some people with a gap can pull it off very well.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:47 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,088 times
His teeth don't have to be perfect, but they also shouldn't look like they're throwing gang signs (severe overcrowding). Major discoloration (dark yellow – not regular yellow, and black or green) and missing visible teeth are also major turnoffs. Dental implants are expensive, but not so expensive that you can't save $2500 (per implant) over a 5-year period; expensive and impossible are two different things .

Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

803 posts, read 1,668,341 times
Probably not. Spaces and imperfect alignment usually don't bother me, it's the stains and decay. I was on a flight recently and could not keep my eyes off the hot stewardess. I have a habit of looking at women's teeth; hers appeared nice from a distance, then when she served me some water I noticed tobacco stains or some other form of decay near her gumline.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
having crooked teeth has kept me out of the dating market for the most part. no confidence because of it, therefore no motivation to date anyone. the funny thing about it is women have been attracted to me in spite of this. threads like these are bittersweet....sweet in the way that i dont regret not trying to get a date for the last 6 years(because of my affliction), bitter in the way that something as idiotic as bad teeth are a dealbreaker to most. but, it is what it is.
How do you draw that conclusion? Most people in this thread, save the OP, don't seem to have a problem with imperfect teeth unless the imperfections are due to poor hygiene.

I'm sure you're a real catch if women are attracted to you, and I'm sure you'll be an even better catch once you get your confidence up. I'm sorry your self-esteem is so tied to your teeth, but I wish you luck nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships