Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

The asylum inmates around here already think that women have too much power as it is, I'm pretty sure they'd balk at this idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The asylum inmates around here already think that women have too much power as it is, I'm pretty sure they'd balk at this idea.
Scared whittle boys. Is it atomic weggie time?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,796,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Nice thread but alot of guys would feel left out tho(like many do now in the normal set up)

In general both online and off My sister has always argued that a big advantage men have is bevause they're the ones doing the initiating they can pick and choose. You may get turned down but the girl who says yes will ultimately be one you wanted... Women not so much as they can only really pick from the guys who show interest
What's to stop women like your sister from doing the initiating? If she feels it's an advantage, she could choose to do it.

Anyway, I'm liking the site less and less as I use it more. It really was a good idea, but too flawed in practice. Even if a woman did message me and I paid to respond, if it didn't work out, I'm now on a subscription to wait around and see if maybe someone else messages me. If you're a guy, you know how well that works out.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:42 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
What's to stop women like your sister from doing the initiating? If she feels it's an advantage, she could choose to do it.

Anyway, I'm liking the site less and less as I use it more. It really was a good idea, but too flawed in practice. Even if a woman did message me and I paid to respond, if it didn't work out, I'm now on a subscription to wait around and see if maybe someone else messages me. If you're a guy, you know how well that works out.
What you didn't get any ladies?

Old 01-18-2014, 03:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,186 times
Would never work. People can be much pickier online. This tends to work against women, as they're generally pickier IRL when compared to men. Men typically look for women they want to smash, and then try to figure which of those "smashable" women is the best match. In other words, men take a step-by-step approach (is she hot, will she have sex with me, are we a good match) while women try to see the whole picture at one time (does he have these qualities?).

Because men typically start with pure physical attraction, there's more variance in our preferences. Women are looking for intelligent, responsible, good looking, funny etc. all at once. The number of men capable of making a great first impression is comparatively small when evaluating all physical and character traits simultaneously. Most of the ladies would either not message anyone or they'd all cluster to the same type of man...white male, reasonably educated, funny profile, middle class or higher salary, taller than 5-10, average to athletic build with an attractive face and nice hair.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM

542 posts, read 692,317 times
Maybe a site would work better if they just charged for sending messages. Or the first message you send to a new person had a cost.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:21 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The same ones who think being send filthy offensive messages is better than no messages at all.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
Quote:
Nice thread but alot of guys would feel left out tho(like many do now in the normal set up)

In general both online and off My sister has always argued that a big advantage men have is bevause they're the ones doing the initiating they can pick and choose. You may get turned down but the girl who says yes will ultimately be one you wanted... Women not so much as they can only really pick from the guys who show interest
That's bullcrap. Women can pick just as easily as men do, but it seems a great deal of the ones online seem to not do anything but put up a profile. They can get messages without being proactive.

Meanwhile, people who actually DO read profiles and such and make some effort to talk to people to get a date or get to know someone may send a hundred messages before even getting a response.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 PM

543 posts, read 534,381 times
Quote:

And I wonder who's fault that is.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:39 PM

543 posts, read 534,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Would never work. People can be much pickier online. This tends to work against women, as they're generally pickier IRL when compared to men. Men typically look for women they want to smash, and then try to figure which of those "smashable" women is the best match. In other words, men take a step-by-step approach (is she hot, will she have sex with me, are we a good match) while women try to see the whole picture at one time (does he have these qualities?).

Because men typically start with pure physical attraction, there's more variance in our preferences. Women are looking for intelligent, responsible, good looking, funny etc. all at once. The number of men capable of making a great first impression is comparatively small when evaluating all physical and character traits simultaneously. Most of the ladies would either not message anyone or they'd all cluster to the same type of man...white male, reasonably educated, funny profile, middle class or higher salary, taller than 5-10, average to athletic build with an attractive face and nice hair.
Interesting. Hadn't really thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships