Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

It's not the traditional style of marriage proposal. I imagine I have been dating a girl a short while. We are just strolling along somewhere, or doing some little task together (like putting groceries into a shelf). I stop and say, "Let's get married?!" I have kind of a half-frown, half-smile at the absurdity that we've waited so long even though we both know it's the right thing. I hold out one or both hands as if to say, what are we waiting for. This is crazy! Why aren't we already married?

Then, she might drop down to her knees and fold her hands together, saying "YES! YES! I have been thinking the exact same thing." I wouldn't necessarily require that kind of response. It would be nice, but any kind of positive answer would be fine.

We would probably be dressed semi casual at the time. For example, I might be wearing a long sleeved buttoned shirt with the sleeves rolled up a little. She would have a simple short sleeved blouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
So you are both only wearing shirts! It's a good start. AND makes putting groceries away a LOT more interesting. LOL

Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's not the traditional style of marriage proposal. I imagine I have been dating a girl a short while. We are just strolling along somewhere, or doing some little task together (like putting groceries into a shelf). I stop and say, "Let's get married?!" I have kind of a half-frown, half-smile at the absurdity that we've waited so long even though we both know it's the right thing. I hold out one or both hands as if to say, what are we waiting for. This is crazy! Why aren't we already married?

Then, she might drop down to her knees and fold her hands together, saying "YES! YES! I have been thinking the exact same thing." I wouldn't necessarily require that kind of response. It would be nice, but any kind of positive answer would be fine.

We would probably be dressed semi casual at the time. For example, I might be wearing a long sleeved buttoned shirt with the sleeves rolled up a little. She would have a simple short sleeved blouse.
Why not? Hopefully you will have been dating at least a year or two before you propose. You really should get to know your intended, to see the worst sides of one another, to see if you can cope. Once the wedding plans begin, you won't be able to see the true person till the deed is done and the novelty wears off.

Really.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
Proposing should reflect your personalities.

Personally, the location isn't the important part of the scenario. If I were being asked, I would not be thinking of where I was, only absorbing what was being said.

Asking while doing a routine task is an easy way to surprise her. If you make plans to do something out of the ordinary, she will be tipped off. But if, for example, the two of you generally go walking or running together, then that would be a good time/place, too.

I - and many other women - dont like the idea of proposing with a crowd of people around. I'm sure there are women that like that. Be sure you know which kind she is.

Good luck. Have fun. And may all of your years together be filled with communication, laughter and love.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:10 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Do you have a girlfriend?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Do you have a girlfriend?
It's complicated. But no, I don't have a specific person in mind. I am more curious about what people would think about this approach.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:42 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
I am not sure what many people do now is necessarily a "traditional" proposal, but trying to do a romantic proposal based on our romanticized notions of how we want it to be.

I see nothing wrong with your concept.

My grandfather proposed to my grandmother while they were sitting on his parents front porch back in 1945. They had been dating for a little while since his return from the war, and were very much in love. So he said he put it this way... just blurted out "well, we might as well get married" and my grandmother replied "ok!" They were still madly in love after over 50 years of marriage!

A proposal does not have to be a mega-planned event.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's complicated. But no, I don't have a specific person in mind. I am more curious about what people would think about this approach.
It would depend on the person. You can't really plan a proposal if you don't have a girlfriend. A proposal - as with all things having to do with love and a relationship - should be specific to the people involved.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
I doubt any of us can answer that here. You know your woman the best, if you have a great long lasting relationship with her your judgement on the matter will be the best. If you have any doubt in the plan nix it and find some other way. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,247 times
You are planning what you and she will be wearing when you casually propose to this hypothetical person?

Not weird at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships