Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times

Advertisements

I read someplace that the first year of marriage is the hardest. Not in my experience. We coasted right through the first two without even noticing. Now, year three has been a challenge.

It probably varies with the couple, but at what point in your relationship did you find that you had to roll up your sleeves and come to terms that you and your partner had used up the lovey-dovey?

In our case, we have at least a half a dozen things going on, from house remodeling to change of employment, to physical health issues and a change of address. We're doing okay, but holy cow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Those are all huge stress issues, but BOTH of you have to be determined not to let them interfere with your relationship.

Those issues are not the priority - your love is.

Anything can be worked out IF two people can/will communicate.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:32 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I'll let you know when that happens! We've been married for 8 years!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I read someplace that the first year of marriage is the hardest. Not in my experience. We coasted right through the first two without even noticing. Now, year three has been a challenge.

It probably varies with the couple, but at what point in your relationship did you find that you had to roll up your sleeves and come to terms that you and your partner had used up the lovey-dovey?

In our case, we have at least a half a dozen things going on, from house remodeling to change of employment, to physical health issues and a change of address. We're doing okay, but holy cow!
We have gone through all of that stuff and are still very much in love!

Last April we started a DIY kitchen remodel, in May my wife got a new job, in July we went to the ER when she had terrible side pains (turned out to be cysts), she has battled that problem on and off since, late July she was terminated from her new job (mind you were were still doing kitchen remodel through all of this). She went on unemployment. Got another new job which began September. Our daughter started pre-school at that time. We finished the kitchen. In November we remodelled the bathroom. Since Christmas is the first time we have had weekends where there was really "nothing to do" or any crisis to manage.

Although some of that was very stressful and trying, the key is to work as a team through it, support each other, build each other up, and move forward! Don't let the little things become big things, and just roll with the punches!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Those are all huge stress issues, but BOTH of you have to be determined not to let them interfere with your relationship.

Those issues are not the priority - your love is.

Anything can be worked out IF two people can/will communicate.
LOL, no kidding. We do have to regroup, from time to time, and more or less reaffirm our commitment. We're about 25% of the way into some major transitions and my head is spinning. Dunno if it's my age or if it's a perfect storm, but I'm not feeling anywhere as resilient as in the past.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Ellie, your welcome (reply to your rep comment).

I don't want to sugar coat it. Some of this was very stressful and difficult to navigate for us individually and as a couple. That is where the "work" of marriage comes in. To reset ourselves, step back, work together, build each other up, etc.

You will be ok! Whenever it seems overwhelming, remind yourself what is really important, and what is secondary, and make sure the really important stuff is taken care of!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
We've been together almost 9 years, still waiting for the shine to wear off

Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
I've read it's around the seventh year; hence the term 7 year itch.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

The shine ebbs and flows. It will never be there all day every day year after year. The trials and tribulations of a long term relationship either make it stronger or break it down. Hang in there, the shine will come back.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:22 AM

888 posts, read 1,099,608 times
I think it varies for each couple. It really depends on the ability to communicate about the issues that might arise and how, together, as a team, you can work through them. In both of my marriages, when things seemed to rise to that unstable peak, I would try to promote the fact that if we can work through this now, in another year, it will all be behind us.

It sounds like you two are dealing with some of the more common "biggest" challenges for a fresh marriage, job change, health issues, moving, the only other thing I can think of would be adjusting to a baby. Be patient with each other. Be patient with yourselves. Soon you will be able to look back and say, "Wow, look how strong we are as a couple after getting through all that!"

Good luck and good communication to you and your husband OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships