Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times

Advertisements

So, i was reading other thread in where one poster thought that dating 3 months was "too little" time to have sex already, and i thought thats SO different from everything and everyone i ever know that i got curious how long usually people wait to have sex in the states, after starting seeing someone. Here, i would say, having sex the first or second time you met up with someone (as in already been chatting online, or knowing through mutual friends, etc) its very normal among adults. Sometimes it takes longer, of course, but mostly its among the first 4 dates. More than that is seen as weird.

How long do you personally wait?

I ve always had LTR and my last one finished recently so ive never slept around, but now that im single if i met someone i TRULY like i dont see the point in waiting to have sex. No problem in having it the first night if you really feel attracted to the guy. Dont see the big deal about this.

What about you? how long do you wait and what are the normal waiting periods in your culture/country/city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 PM

102,194 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post

I ve always had LTR and my last one finished recently so ive never slept around, but now that im single if i met someone i TRULY like i dont see the point in waiting to have sex. No problem in having it the first night if you really feel attracted to the guy. Dont see the big deal about this.
The big deal potentially is: what if he or she turns out to be emotionally unbalanced? You've gotten yourself entangled with someone you don't know very well. If you take time to get to know someone and then decide they're not right for you, there's no messy break-up if you haven't had sex yet. Sex tends to stir up powerful emotions.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
Until they say yes. You should know if they are into you by the 3rd date. Some I have known by the second. Usually by the 5th date, I've either hit it or they've hit me. Never made it past 5. Your mileage may vary. I'm more a long term person. I like getting to know the people that I am having sex with. It's better if you can laugh when someone farts.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Depends entirely on the relationship I suppose. I'm not a fan of first or second date sex, but if both parties are into it I don't see the problem.

With the guy I'm dating we didn't kiss until the second date and haven't had sex yet, even though I've spent the night at his place more than once. I think we're both on the same page because there hasn't been any pressure whatsoever, we're just taking it slow and getting to know each other. It' been almost 2 months and while I'm not asking for a solid relationship, I'd like to know he isn't seeing anyone else before I sleep with him. I just think it's kinda weird if he's sleeping with multiple women at the same time.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The big deal potentially is: what if he or she turns out to be emotionally unbalanced? You've gotten yourself entangled with someone you don't know very well. If you take time to get to know someone and then decide they're not right for you, there's no messy break-up if you haven't had sex yet. Sex tends to stir up powerful emotions.
well, yeah, i understand what you are saying because that had happened to me. In a break i had with my LTR, i had a "thing" with a guy i knew from a workshop i was attending, we were friends till it happened, but he had a crush on me. Anyways, we only went out as friends since i had a boyfriend and was in love, but a while after, my boyfriend decided he needed a break , so we were separated for a month, i was heartbroken, and mistakenly, one night, i slept with this friend. Man, i unleashead the beast!! He was emotionally unbalanced and became sort of a stalker, messaged me 20 times the day after, ring the bell on my house, etc. I was like "no, no, this was a mistake, please!" and he tried to refrain for a while, but then got back to his stalking ways. I didnt answer phones, or emails, he stopped attending the workshop, it was all a bit of a drama, he even throw a book on my face (a book i lend him) and walk away on me from a coffee cause i was telling him, for the 100th time, that i didnt want anything to do with him!! So, yeah, believe me, i know what im talking about. At one point i almost go to the police cause i was scared about this guy.

But, even with that experience, i rather take chances. I mean, with this guy, i knew him, we were friends and we hanged out, and he turned out to be CRAZY, so, im guessing most people aint crazy anyway and even the ones you think you know can be crazy, so my point is....just live and take chances!!! If s**t has to happen it will, and if not, it wont. But i wont ostracize myself.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,924 times
I'm very old-fashioned. Not until at a minimum you both genuinely love each other which is 1 year+. Even waiting until marriage is not that uncommon in my circle. People have sex way too soon not that that's anything new.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Depends entirely on the relationship I suppose. I'm not a fan of first or second date sex, but if both parties are into it I don't see the problem.

With the guy I'm dating we didn't kiss until the second date and haven't had sex yet, even though I've spent the night at his place more than once. I think we're both on the same page because there hasn't been any pressure whatsoever, we're just taking it slow and getting to know each other. It' been almost 2 months and while I'm not asking for a solid relationship, I'd like to know he isn't seeing anyone else before I sleep with him. I just think it's kinda weird if he's sleeping with multiple women at the same time.
Yeah, i completely understand and agree it depends on the relationship.

I actually think i wont be able to sleep with someone in 1st or 2nd date if i ve NEVER met him before. Like someone from an online site? or a blind date? But if this person you know prior the date (as a friend of a friend, acquaintance, by chatting for a while) and you already clicked and like eachother (things in common, etc), then i could do it 1st or 2nd date. But only in that case.

But, actually, never say never, but i dont think i will jump to bed on 1st date with a complete stranger.

but you never know i guess

Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
I don't like to wait.

At my age there's no point.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
I'm very old-fashioned. Not until at a minimum you both genuinely love each other which is 1 year+. Even waiting until marriage is not that uncommon in my circle. People have sex way too soon not that that's anything new.
but whats wrong with having sex? is not like you are murdering someone

its a natural, pleasant thing. Like....eating, i dont know

Old 05-20-2013, 10:59 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
Some cultures look at sex like a natural function of life. There is not much gaming. You either dig the person, or you don't. You either have sex with them, or you don't. Not much of the gaming. If I'm into you, lets move to Round 2. If not, friend zone. Then there is the USA, and Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships