Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 7,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Oh. Well, then I say leave it alone.
Yeah I've been doing that. She actually just asked me to dinner though and I think I'm going to go and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM

7,004 posts, read 21,349,846 times
Maybe she is looking for a green card?

Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Maybe she is looking for a green card?
haha she is a citizen

Old 01-26-2014, 06:20 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,672,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastdude View Post
Yeah I've been doing that. She actually just asked me to dinner though and I think I'm going to go and see what happens.
Fair enough.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:02 PM

887 posts, read 1,101,112 times
Quote:
This is kind of silly but I thought I'd ask because I don't know.

There is this new girl at a place I work at part time. She's sort of my "responsibility" so it makes sense she'd spend a lot of time with me throughout the day.

I just find it weird that she is always around me even when we're on breaks. She's also always in my personal space and I keep bumping into her because she is so close to me all the time. At the same time she doesn't seem interested in me the same way I would think women would normally be. She has my number and we never text, she also doesn't talk to me much about things other than work. I wonder if the personal space thing is just cultural.

She is from Guatemala and has like 10 siblings but she has also lived here most her life.

EDIT: I'm not really a clumsy person either I just don't expect someone to be less than a foot away from me when there is so much open space around. I've accidentally touched her breasts with my elbows a bunch because she is right behind me and our hands and arms keep touching when grabbing things. This is all fine with me but I'm just wondering.

Start carrying a cup of scalding coffee.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,552,031 times
Quote:

She is from Guatemala and has like 10 siblings but she has also lived here most her life.
Still trying to figure out why the number of siblings she has would be relevant.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Still trying to figure out why the number of siblings she has would be relevant.
Because you have less personal space, especially if you live in a poor Central American country. I know that her family actually does fit the stereotype of living in a small house with a ton of kids. They legally immigrated here a little while ago for a better life. Can you imagine how little privacy you would have with that many people in a house way smaller than what we would consider a tiny house here?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,312,146 times
Multiple issues here: personal space intrusion at work, sending signals that she likes you, cultural norms, dinner date. Be clear: don't eat where you poop. Small business or not, a reputation stands or falls on activity like this. Cultural norms considered, she is working with you and this can be sexual harassment. You are in a one-down position because you ARE after all touching her breasts, whether you want to acknowledge it at work or not - it is within American mores that no one does that on the job. You need to speak with her, preferably with a female colleague and in a public environment, so you don't get further assessed for harassment. After saying to her you need more space, being very clear what you mean, take note of time, date and other relevant issues - don't do this by yourself, but in a room with others, but keep it low so no one can hear the commentary. Mentioning it to the HR department will not get you in trouble. Ask for guidance or someone to speak with her about social mores within the American business model if it persists. She's asked you to dinner: don't eat where you poop. Real love, attraction, and affectionate exchanges don't begin with so much confusion and mixed signals. Back away, rewind, and pretend you don't have feelings.

And yes, I was very clear in writing don't eat where you poop as opposed to vice versa because most work places are rife with poop and no one should think anything good socially can come out of there. The work environment has become a very different place, even over the past 5 years.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:47 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,054,432 times
Quote:
Because you have less personal space, especially if you live in a poor Central American country. I know that her family actually does fit the stereotype of living in a small house with a ton of kids. They legally immigrated here a little while ago for a better life. Can you imagine how little privacy you would have with that many people in a house way smaller than what we would consider a tiny house here?
Something isn't adding up here. You said up above that she is a citizen, but she immigrated here a little while ago. Something isn't adding up about her story.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:41 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,362,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Puzzled why her race was brought up, especially in the thread title.

No, it's not.
It absolutely could be cultural. If you dont believe me, go grocery shopping in Europe ie france, germany, italy. my goodness...there is no such thing as personal space. The look they give you when you say excuse me....says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships