Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 01:56 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,558 times

Advertisements

Attractive people can be seen as creepy. I do think that unattractive people are more likely to be called creepy for behavior that may be more awkward than outright creepy and for behavior that an attractive person may get a pass on.

I think this is especially true in adolescence, and things that happen at that vulnerable time can leave a mark.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
Staring is rude and creepy. Even I don't do that. I glance at a woman for about 2 seconds, that's it.

That's a check in the "Stuff Mtbornnard has going for him" column, then.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:58 PM

663 posts, read 777,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yes, that's the point. People notice other people all the time and it isn't creepy. Leering and staring at someone can make them uncomfortable.
Yes that's exactly what all the guys were doing. I checked their eyes, it moved up and down for a good 3 seconds.

You don't consider that leering?

Granted I was laughing because it basically confirmed all guys are like me.

I don't know if city data ladies are beautiful or not...but next time, you should try walking behind a super hot girl at a mall who is wearing high heels and a skirt. Look at the guys. they would all take a good look up and down her body if they were single. If they are with their girlfriends/wives, they would look but be way more discreet.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:58 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
I don't want to be her friend. Just being honest. Sorry if I come as mean.
That's just dumb.

You have to start somewhere and giving the vibe of 'I don't want to be her friend' is going to get you a bad rep in the social scene.

Do the clerk idea.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
You're right, that is creepy, but you don't get called out on it being so unless you're ugly. If you're an attractive guy, you get away with it or even praised.

IMO, you're missing the OP's point, meh. Creepy is used as a placeholder for "ugly," so that women can relieve themselves of the burden of being "shallow."

I have known MANY women, and I dunno any that have a problem saying a dude is ugly (not to his face, as that is just freaking rude) and they don't tell their friends the guy is creepy... they just roll their eyes to their friend and move along, at maximum they might refer to him as "not my type" or "ugh..." but, seriously... no... creepy isn't slang for "ugly" anywhere I've ever been.

Now, if you hang with the most shallow people on the planet, I cannot guarantee that this isn't possible, but who wants to hang with those a-holes anyway?

Old 01-27-2014, 02:00 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
I usually don't approach women in the grocery store. But in other places, I could give this a try.
Cool. It's a start. Let them get to know you on a neutral playing field.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
When I went to highschool, the kid who was picked on the most was this kid who was in foster care. He was really an ok guy once you got to know him(i did) But this kid was kinda socially ackward(kinda a loner and quiet), which is understandable being the emotional pain of being bounced around and losing his family. But some how the word got out that he was a foster kid and then things changed for him, people talked about him behind his back. One time my friend asked this pretty girl out to a dance, I guess that made her unconfortable because she told her rich parents who called the school and the foster parents and threatened that if my friend tried talking to her again there would be hell to pay.

Oh... kids through about high school can be TERRIBLY cruel. I am not at all going to deny that. I think they aren't taught better manners from their parents.

My mom always told me that I should be extra nice to new kids at school and boys who were not popular because they might be sad if nobody was talking to them and because I never would know if those dorky guys would grow up to be attractive and successful.

Sure enough, she was right!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:03 PM

322 posts, read 504,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yes, that's the point. People notice other people all the time and it isn't creepy. Leering and staring at someone can make them uncomfortable.
I agree with you. I'm going to rep you

Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM

339 posts, read 379,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I have known MANY women, and I dunno any that have a problem saying a dude is ugly (not to his face, as that is just freaking rude) and they don't tell their friends the guy is creepy... they just roll their eyes to their friend and move along, at maximum they might refer to him as "not my type" or "ugh..." but, seriously... no... creepy isn't slang for "ugly" anywhere I've ever been.

Now, if you hang with the most shallow people on the planet, I cannot guarantee that this isn't possible, but who wants to hang with those a-holes anyway?

The bolded would be bad enough to make me not want to approach any woman ever again, if I wasn't already in that position. May be off topic, but where do these women get off?

Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
She wants to be your friend.^^^^^

Oh hell yeah. I'll be his friend. I am a friendly person.

I have other friends his age... my eldest kid's buddies love to talk to be about their troubles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.