Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:42 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times

Advertisements

personally i dont know why anyone would want to get married. why not just live together? marriage seems so final, so archaic, so legal! who thought up this marriage thing? and then if you happen to get divorced youre supposed to feel ashamed or a failure? marriage is not for everyone and i feel bad for the young people who have no idea what theyre getting themselves into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
I love being married. I love the commitment to my husband and my son. I actually love saying the word husband. After being single for 35 years, you can keep it. Of course if the choices are being miserable married or happy single, then single wins.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:54 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
personally i dont know why anyone would want to get married. why not just live together? marriage seems so final, so archaic, so legal! who thought up this marriage thing? and then if you happen to get divorced youre supposed to feel ashamed or a failure? marriage is not for everyone and i feel bad for the young people who have no idea what theyre getting themselves into.
I agree - I'm all for the live-in sig. other scenario. But in some states, they'd consider you married (common law marriage). Also, being married can have financial benefits, such as domestic partner insurance, income tax deductions, etc. Not to mention if you plan on having kids, it's better that they're not bastards.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
i agree that marriage can have financial benefits. it can also have financial NON-benefits (such as being married to an over spender or bankruptcy). i dont believe in the whole bastard thing anymore. that's pretty outdated thinking imo. i mean really, what is the difference in being a kid coming from a common-law marriage or a divorced one? i only say this since over half of marriages end in divorce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I agree - I'm all for the live-in sig. other scenario. But in some states, they'd consider you married (common law marriage). Also, being married can have financial benefits, such as domestic partner insurance, income tax deductions, etc. Not to mention if you plan on having kids, it's better that they're not bastards.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:58 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i agree that marriage can have financial benefits. it can also have financial NON-benefits (such as being married to an over spender or bankruptcy). i dont believe in the whole bastard thing anymore. that's pretty outdated thinking imo. i mean really, what is the difference in being a kid coming from a common-law marriage or a divorced one? i only say this since over half of marriages end in divorce.
I guess I'm old fashion in that kids should have a legal mother and father. : \

Yes, there are many non-benefits ("cons") to marriage. One would hope the to-be husband and wife think long and hard before making what should be a lifelong commitment.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:22 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almighty View Post
I got a good laugh out of a conversation I was part of last night with an old friend of mine who is going through a divorce. He tried to explain why "the first marriage isn't supposed to work". I couldn't help myself! I wanted to be there for him, but it was too funny! He said he was in "group" with other divorceés and this was what the "counselor" told them.

According to him, the first marriage is to find out what you're looking for in a marriage. To figure out what you enjoy, what you don't, and what you expect of your spouse. (trying very hard not to laugh) What do you think of this?

I mean, maybe I'm a little too old-fashioned. I thought that one of the marriage vows was 'until death due us part'. Maybe I misread them. lol I, personally, don't feel at all as if there should be the option of "second marriage", "third marriage", "fifteenth marriage"... You know? I mean, can you see what I'm saying here? I think if you go into a marriage thinking, "hey, if it doesn't work I can always get rid of you," that you're dooming yourself. Just my opinion...
One.

Marriage is forever.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I would imagine that counselor was probably telling them to take some lessons away from their first marriages. After being married once you definitely do have a better feel for what makes a marriage work- or not work.

Unfortunately many people don't learn.
In a perfect world.

I've overheard a lot of office chatter and the most important lesson many young women seem to learn is that they should have hired a PI earlier. Its amazing how slick some men can be.

Well, at least their kids are likely to inherit this very valuable trait. That, and the good looks. They'll need these since being raised by a single mother, will likely preclude getting a good education.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:19 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
I got a good laugh out of a conversation I was part of last night with an old friend of mine who is going through a divorce. He tried to explain why "the first marriage isn't supposed to work". I couldn't help myself! I wanted to be there for him, but it was too funny! He said he was in "group" with other divorceés and this was what the "counselor" told them.

According to him, the first marriage is to find out what you're looking for in a marriage. To figure out what you enjoy, what you don't, and what you expect of your spouse. (trying very hard not to laugh) What do you think of this?

I mean, maybe I'm a little too old-fashioned. I thought that one of the marriage vows was 'until death due us part'. Maybe I misread them. lol I, personally, don't feel at all as if there should be the option of "second marriage", "third marriage", "fifteenth marriage"... You know? I mean, can you see what I'm saying here? I think if you go into a marriage thinking, "hey, if it doesn't work I can always get rid of you," that you're dooming yourself. Just my opinion...
This kind of thinking is why we have the divorce rate we do. Everyone is always asking how their spouse fits with their plans but never how they fit with their spouses plans. When you're in a relationship, it's not 100% for you. Once it becomes about what you enjoy and you want (what happened to what your spouse enjoys and wants??) you're pretty much done. It's hard for self centered people to stay in relationships.

My vote is one marriage. One you work at. One where you improve yourself to improve the relationship and worry about how you can improve your partners life instead of thinking about yourself all the time. The one thing the marriage counselor told us that worked was to do three things a day for each other just to be nice. It's amazing how your focus changes once you stop concentrating on yourself.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:39 PM

71 posts, read 209,065 times
Quote:

I'm working on my thrid divorce and calling it quits to marriage. It's getting too expensive.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoremrnice View Post
I'm working on my thrid divorce and calling it quits to marriage. It's getting too expensive.
Never to late to smarten up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships