Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
Ok, now you're just ignoring the facts for your own convenience.

Doctors typically do not test people for herpes unless they have had a genital outbreak and need to confirm the HSV so they can take medication.

When you tell someone to go get tested for STDs, herpes is not screened and neither is HPV. And if you have actually gone in to get tested, this would likely have been explained to you, so I'm assuming at this point you're just telling all your partners to get screened while you ignore that there's a 50-80% they at least have oral herpes. Just like the rest of the general population.
You can ASK your doctor for a herpes test even without an outbreak. Same with HPV. You can ask for the test!

Which part of I've been married for 18 years did you not understand? I don't go out and sleep with random people! Hello! I'm married and not a cheater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:45 PM

615 posts, read 726,899 times
Just run a Google Image search on "herpes." Yea, I'll pass on that. I don't care if it's not life-threatening. Many things I wouldn't want even if they're techincally "not a health threat."

Old 12-02-2014, 03:36 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,199,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Just run a Google Image search on "herpes." Yea, I'll pass on that. I don't care if it's not life-threatening. Many things I wouldn't want even if they're techincally "not a health threat."
Seems like google will only show you the worst of things. When I had my cold sore, it didn't look anywhere near as gross as online pix. It was basically the same color as my skin, rather than red and pus-filled, and I only saw it when I was actively looking, because I felt it coming in.

Far as I knew, that was my 1st one, but there may have been more lol

Old 12-02-2014, 08:14 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Every cold sore I've ever had looks (and feels) basically like a zit, and instantly goes away when you put Abreva on it. NBD.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:30 AM

564 posts, read 748,335 times
We should all be so lucky to be as pure as ss20ts.

No one is telling you to go out and actively look to catch herpes, what people are saying is that it's extremely common and not a big deal, it's more of a momentarily nuisance than anything else.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:47 PM

837 posts, read 962,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
We should all be so lucky to be as pure as ss20ts.

No one is telling you to go out and actively look to catch herpes, what people are saying is that it's extremely common and not a big deal, it's more of a momentarily nuisance than anything else.
I also have an issue with it being said that those of us who recognize it's statistically not the end of the world are the ones that aren't getting testing regularly.

It would be a deal breaker if a potential partner of mine disclosed he had genital herpes. Does that mean he should be shamed for something that's easily caught even when practicing safe sex? No. I have serious doubts some of the people in this thread have successfully convinced partners to get a blood test that most docs won't order unless there's a reason to. And again, the herpes blood bests are commonly wrong when a patient is asymptomatic.

Quote:
Although the median number of outbreaks with HSV-2 infection is four to six per year, many outbreaks go unrecognized. Indeed, 70 percent of individuals with no self-reported history of outbreaks begin to identify recurrences once they are educated about the subtle signs and symptoms of genital herpes recurrences. Women, for example, may have only minor itching, and the symptoms may be even milder in men.
And a comment from a reader on the above article:
Quote:
I have been happily married for over 20 years. I found out last fall that I have HSV-2 and that it has been present for over 20 years and did not experience an outbreak until last year. The last man that I had been with before my husband was 26 years ago and have been totally commitmented to him, our marriage and our family. My husband is HSV negative. He is leaving me because he is now afraid to touch me. I am beyond humiliated and devistated. So, in my case, the infection is a life halting event.
http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ed-for-herpes/

I just love getting labelled loose and reckless when I urge other people to go outside their comfort zones to learn about basic virology that might apply to you in the future, whether you're married, single, or chaste.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The majority of the population? I must have some magical powers! I don't have any form of herpes and I've never been with anyone who has. I must have a cootie detector hidden somewhere.

For the OP......I would find someone else to date. Not interested in picking up things others have.
Ruth was correct. The vast majority of folks do in fact have Herpes in their body, whether they know it or not.

The common figure is that 85% of adults have it, but some say the number is closer to 90%.

Fortunately, only about 10% of people ever suffer outbreaks, which accounts for so many having it and not realizing it.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
But you can't catch those diseases/ailments by kissing someone! Some people prefer to live their lives being STD free....oh the shock and horror of it! And to plenty of people it IS a big deal.

If you heard the things my grandfather said about crotch rot while I was a teenager, you'd never let another human near you with a 100 foot pole! Thankfully, I had my mother telling me her tails of youth and magically one doesn't die by looking at a penis. And he really did use the term crotch rot. He was an unique individual!
With this kind of brainwashing it's a wonder you got married at all!

Old 12-02-2014, 05:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
For those of you claiming you don't have it, how do you know? Did you get a STD test that included HSV1 screening? Or are you going by the lack of cold sores? One can carry the virus and be asymptomatic.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:50 PM

837 posts, read 962,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
For those of you claiming you don't have it, how do you know? Did you get a STD test that included HSV1 screening? Or are you going by the lack of cold sores? One can carry the virus and be asymptomatic.
This is what I'm curious to know.

There's often a lapse in communication with some doctors that have a patient requesting a "full" STI screening. They don't explain what exactly is included in the ordered tests, the patient doesn't ask, and then when the patient gets a phone call saying, "All clear!" they think it means it's for everything under the sun.

Sometimes they even think an HIV test was given when that also needs to be specifically requested. But HIV tests are more readily given than HSV1 or 2 because it's much more serious, whereas HSV is viewed more as a sexual transmitted nuisance compared to the other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships