Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,084,985 times

Advertisements

If in the course of a marriage, an event, or series of events occur to cause you to first question your SO's judgement, and then loose respect for their ability to use sound, and proper judgement, would you be able to remain with them? (Also the lack of sound judgement or reason could potentially affect the well being of your spouse, and/or your child's health.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,165,856 times
It depends, is it a one-time thing or is there a pattern? How long has the couple been together?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,199,006 times
Bad judgement as in choosing ugly clothes or as in putting all your savings into online poker?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 AM

For a timeframe, a couple years into the marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Bad judgement as in choosing ugly clothes or as in putting all your savings into online poker?
No, I said potentially health related. Trying to self diagnose chronic problems and find "out of the main stream" treatments which do not have any medical or scientific basis. Example: Wanting to put urine rops in a child's eye to "cure" pink eye instead of going to a doctor. Or cure their own chronic health issues with similar, types of self found and administered "treatments."

Putting tons of time and effort into "researching" these kinds of treatments, which amounts to finding blogs and such that support what they want to find to justify it. Justifying the need to do it by building up a wall of paranoia about the medical field, accusing them of "hiding" the real cures for things in their desire for a money grab which is only possible by keeping the sick, sick.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,005,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkered24 View Post
for a timeframe, a couple years into the marriage.

No, i said potentially health related. Trying to self diagnose chronic problems and find "out of the main stream" treatments which do not have any medical or scientific basis. Example: Wanting to put urine rops in a child's eye to "cure" pink eye instead of going to a doctor. Or cure their own chronic health issues with similar, types of self found and administered "treatments."

putting tons of time and effort into "researching" these kinds of treatments, which amounts to finding blogs and such that support what they want to find to justify it. Justifying the need to do it by building up a wall of paranoia about the medical field, accusing them of "hiding" the real cures for things in their desire for a money grab which is only possible by keeping the sick, sick.
wth??

Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,969,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
wth??
Yeah...what the what?

--Dim

Old 02-05-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
wth??
Exactly...

Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 AM

My wife has a hypothyroid condition. She has been being treated for it for a number of years. However, the side effects of it have been getting worse, weight gain (regardless of most diet plans and exercises attempted), foggy brain, fatigue, depression.

She has suddenly and sharply turned her back on medical science for reasons I am not fully sure of why. She is accusing doctors of keeping her sick to make money off of her, the government for altering grain to make her sick, and these alternate "treatments" as the real story that the system is trying to silence.

The only thing she has found that has worked in making her feel better, or have some control over weight is a very low carb, virtually no sugar, mostly protein diet of fish and chicken. Lost a lot of weight on it, but then decided it was too restrictive and she mentally could not take sticking to it (or the exercise) so she gave up.

She seems to have bought into these blogs and such, which tout all kinds of things as secret miracle cures. Her latest is spending days reading about "urine therapy" which can be used to cure all sorts of things if you drink it, but the doctors don't tell yuo because then you wouldn't need them or their pills.

It has caused a sudden and huge rift between us. No amount of rational discussion, thought, medical documentation or information, or anything seems to dissuade her. Instead, she accuses me (probably accurately) of not respecting her judgement. How she can no longer "talk" to me about things.

I admit I have been a little harsh, but I just do not know how I can possibly entertain suggestions that I can determine are way off the map with five minutes of research and a bit of common sense. I also do not know how I can "give her space" in this when self treating herself with things could cause big health issues for herself or especially when like Monday she was thinking of treating our daughter's pink eye condition in this manner instead of with a doctor visit.

On my end, reality has left the building. On her end, I am trying to "bully" her away from something she thinks has merit.

I am left wondering what is next. Using what I feel is terrible judgement is not something I feel I can turn a blind eye to. I certainly did not see this kind of thing coming!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,718,201 times
This is why I avoid extreme health and fitness nuts, witch doctors and vegans. California has plenty of these. Dey be quack n dogmatic.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,718,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
My wife has a hypothyroid condition. She has been being treated for it for a number of years. However, the side effects of it have been getting worse, weight gain (regardless of most diet plans and exercises attempted), foggy brain, fatigue, depression.

She has suddenly and sharply turned her back on medical science for reasons I am not fully sure of why. She is accusing doctors of keeping her sick to make money off of her, the government for altering grain to make her sick, and these alternate "treatments" as the real story that the system is trying to silence.

The only thing she has found that has worked in making her feel better, or have some control over weight is a very low carb, virtually no sugar, mostly protein diet of fish and chicken. Lost a lot of weight on it, but then decided it was too restrictive and she mentally could not take sticking to it (or the exercise) so she gave up.

She seems to have bought into these blogs and such, which tout all kinds of things as secret miracle cures. Her latest is spending days reading about "urine therapy" which can be used to cure all sorts of things if you drink it, but the doctors don't tell yuo because then you wouldn't need them or their pills.

It has caused a sudden and huge rift between us. No amount of rational discussion, thought, medical documentation or information, or anything seems to dissuade her. Instead, she accuses me (probably accurately) of not respecting her judgement. How she can no longer "talk" to me about things.

I admit I have been a little harsh, but I just do not know how I can possibly entertain suggestions that I can determine are way off the map with five minutes of research and a bit of common sense. I also do not know how I can "give her space" in this when self treating herself with things could cause big health issues for herself or especially when like Monday she was thinking of treating our daughter's pink eye condition in this manner instead of with a doctor visit.

On my end, reality has left the building. On her end, I am trying to "bully" her away from something she thinks has merit.

I am left wondering what is next. Using what I feel is terrible judgement is not something I feel I can turn a blind eye to. I certainly did not see this kind of thing coming!

Ooooh man, that's tough. I'd probably wait this out. She sounds depressed. Maybe she'll come out of it once she realizes that stuff isn't working either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships